2005 gx 470 rear suspension - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 gx 470 rear suspension

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-16, 03:02 PM   #1
samdarci
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2005 gx 470 rear suspension

anybody know how to fix rear air suspension from dropping down to bump stops ...if I reset it every night it is fine but if not it will be down on bump stops by morning. Thankyou
samdarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 03:06 PM   #2
ALAN553
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nj
Posts: 934
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Search this forum...2005....those air springs are leaking
ALAN553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-16, 06:32 AM   #3
angelslex
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Plenty to go around on the subject. Question is are you staying with truck for a while? Is a lot of money if the bags are bad. The sensors... don't even try those. Is a waste of money.
I just went with everything manual no electronics. Full conversion
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ar-shocks.html
angelslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-16, 07:53 PM   #4
BlackCat81
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 509
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

If you're looking for a cost effective way to repair it, just do a MetalTech coil spring conversion kit and use FJ cruiser springs. You only need to do the rear. I did mine by myself for around $350. I'm an Infiniti tech so I don't know what you'd be charged for labor, but I can imagine a couple hours. I still have all my factory adjustable shocks in place as well. The ride is amazing, if I knew how well it would ride I would've done it before the compressor went bad. Most guys who do the conversion don't like the 4Runner springs and go with FJ springs, they're a bit beefier and handle the weight of a GX better. Here's how mine sits with the conversion.

Name:  32AFB6BB-3E19-4286-820A-AE35079F0257_zpsoekmvi6g.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  138.8 KB
BlackCat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 04:21 PM   #5
samdarci
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat81 View Post
If you're looking for a cost effective way to repair it, just do a MetalTech coil spring conversion kit and use FJ cruiser springs. You only need to do the rear. I did mine by myself for around $350. I'm an Infiniti tech so I don't know what you'd be charged for labor, but I can imagine a couple hours. I still have all my factory adjustable shocks in place as well. The ride is amazing, if I knew how well it would ride I would've done it before the compressor went bad. Most guys who do the conversion don't like the 4Runner springs and go with FJ springs, they're a bit beefier and handle the weight of a GX better. Here's how mine sits with the conversion.

Blackcat81 I'm wanting to convert my 2005 gx470 to metaltech and want to keep it a stock ride do you recommend fj springs for that ? would I need to go with 2005 fj springs ? Thanku Sir
samdarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 05:44 PM   #6
BlackCat81
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 509
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdarci View Post
Blackcat81 I'm wanting to convert my 2005 gx470 to metaltech and want to keep it a stock ride do you recommend fj springs for that ? would I need to go with 2005 fj springs ? Thanku Sir
I still love them, so yes, I recommend them. I used 2008 (I think) trail team FJ springs.
BlackCat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 01:57 PM   #7
samdarci
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default fj springs

I found the fj springs on metaltech site they have a light weight 1 in lift and medium duty 2 in lift I just do city driving which one do think I should get. Thanku
samdarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 02:00 PM   #8
samdarci
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I found the fj springs on metaltech site for 168.00 a light load 1 in lift and medium load 2in lift I just do city and hwy driving which do you think would be best. Thanku
samdarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-16, 09:36 AM   #9
BlackCat81
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 509
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdarci View Post
I found the fj springs on metaltech site for 168.00 a light load 1 in lift and medium load 2in lift I just do city and hwy driving which do you think would be best. Thanku
I'd go with the light load springs. A medium load spring without a medium load won't ride all that great in my opinion.
BlackCat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 11:49 AM   #10
coloboardi
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CO
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You could also just replace the airsprings for about the same price, $350. I bought OE replacements off Amazon. I towed with the vehicle and wanted to be able to sell it as a fully functioning airspring vehicle when the time came.
coloboardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 01:37 PM   #11
BlackCat81
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 509
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloboardi View Post
You could also just replace the airsprings for about the same price, $350. I bought OE replacements off Amazon. I towed with the vehicle and wanted to be able to sell it as a fully functioning airspring vehicle when the time came.
You can also put a set of air lift bags in the springs like a lot of us do to keep you level when you tow. My truck rides better now with coil springs than it ever did with air bags, and there's no looming thought in your head about when the next time a bag, line, or compressor will fail.
BlackCat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 10:24 AM   #12
degmla
Rookie
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also just bought new bags. Relatively easy job once you figure out how to disengage the air tubes. I found a tip somewhere, probably on these forums, that you can use a caulk tube lid.

Now, I expect to get another 10 years off the bags, and then I'll do it again. No biggie compared to conversions.
degmla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 05:26 PM   #13
SC3coupe
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi guys that have replaced the rear bags can you walk me through?
I have the factory procedure it is still a little confusing.

I know I have a slight leak because it takes around 24 hours and it would get close to the bump stop. Recently I replaced my shocks but by accident I let the suspension droop (while shocks are out) and may have caused the old bags to leak more due to the stress

the procedure says not to stretch the bags when installing. So my question is basically if the truck sits on the bump stop that is already low enough to do the replacement. Right?

Last edited by SC3coupe; 08-16-16 at 05:32 PM.
SC3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 06:23 PM   #14
BlackCat81
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 509
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by degmla View Post
I also just bought new bags. Relatively easy job once you figure out how to disengage the air tubes. I found a tip somewhere, probably on these forums, that you can use a caulk tube lid.

Now, I expect to get another 10 years off the bags, and then I'll do it again. No biggie compared to conversions.
Wait until your $800 compressor goes out, then you'll be singing a different tune, lol.
BlackCat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 08:52 PM   #15
degmla
Rookie
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ha, maybe! But, what I've learned with Lexus is: if it's a common failure mode, there will be a $400 repair option by then (unless I insist on OEM. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depends). And, if not, then $800 will get me another 10+ years?

When you pay $14k for a vehicle that someone else paid $45k for, an occasional $800 repair is insignificant.
degmla is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension travel ? Oldmanb777 GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) 6 06-08-17 02:26 PM
RS*R Super Downs Installed (tons of info) jaznraz Suspension and Brakes 65 05-11-17 07:56 PM
rear suspension squeek garfull RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) 85 01-03-17 04:02 PM
Is bumpstop modification required on mk4 shocks? 1uzsoarer SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) 1 09-04-16 06:17 AM
Rear unstable in rain on bumps. Stock plus Torsen/R154 Studiogeek Performance & Maintenance 8 10-05-15 08:52 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: