ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2003-2009-218/)
-   -   2005 gx 470 rear suspension (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2003-2009/809776-2005-gx-470-rear-suspension.html)

samdarci 01-20-16 03:02 PM

2005 gx 470 rear suspension

anybody know how to fix rear air suspension from dropping down to bump stops ...if I reset it every night it is fine but if not it will be down on bump stops by morning. Thankyou

ALAN553 01-20-16 03:06 PM

Search this forum...2005....those air springs are leaking

angelslex 01-23-16 06:32 AM

Plenty to go around on the subject. Question is are you staying with truck for a while? Is a lot of money if the bags are bad. The sensors... don't even try those. Is a waste of money.
I just went with everything manual no electronics. Full conversion
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ar-shocks.html

BlackCat81 01-23-16 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you're looking for a cost effective way to repair it, just do a MetalTech coil spring conversion kit and use FJ cruiser springs. You only need to do the rear. I did mine by myself for around $350. I'm an Infiniti tech so I don't know what you'd be charged for labor, but I can imagine a couple hours. I still have all my factory adjustable shocks in place as well. The ride is amazing, if I knew how well it would ride I would've done it before the compressor went bad. Most guys who do the conversion don't like the 4Runner springs and go with FJ springs, they're a bit beefier and handle the weight of a GX better. Here's how mine sits with the conversion.

Attachment 445307

samdarci 08-12-16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCat81 (Post 9335659)
If you're looking for a cost effective way to repair it, just do a MetalTech coil spring conversion kit and use FJ cruiser springs. You only need to do the rear. I did mine by myself for around $350. I'm an Infiniti tech so I don't know what you'd be charged for labor, but I can imagine a couple hours. I still have all my factory adjustable shocks in place as well. The ride is amazing, if I knew how well it would ride I would've done it before the compressor went bad. Most guys who do the conversion don't like the 4Runner springs and go with FJ springs, they're a bit beefier and handle the weight of a GX better. Here's how mine sits with the conversion.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h...psoekmvi6g.jpg

Blackcat81 I'm wanting to convert my 2005 gx470 to metaltech and want to keep it a stock ride do you recommend fj springs for that ? would I need to go with 2005 fj springs ? Thanku Sir

BlackCat81 08-12-16 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by samdarci (Post 9584074)
Blackcat81 I'm wanting to convert my 2005 gx470 to metaltech and want to keep it a stock ride do you recommend fj springs for that ? would I need to go with 2005 fj springs ? Thanku Sir

I still love them, so yes, I recommend them. I used 2008 (I think) trail team FJ springs.

samdarci 08-13-16 01:57 PM

fj springs

I found the fj springs on metaltech site they have a light weight 1 in lift and medium duty 2 in lift I just do city driving which one do think I should get. Thanku

samdarci 08-13-16 02:00 PM

I found the fj springs on metaltech site for 168.00 a light load 1 in lift and medium load 2in lift I just do city and hwy driving which do you think would be best. Thanku

BlackCat81 08-14-16 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by samdarci (Post 9584830)
I found the fj springs on metaltech site for 168.00 a light load 1 in lift and medium load 2in lift I just do city and hwy driving which do you think would be best. Thanku

I'd go with the light load springs. A medium load spring without a medium load won't ride all that great in my opinion.

coloboardi 08-15-16 11:49 AM

You could also just replace the airsprings for about the same price, $350. I bought OE replacements off Amazon. I towed with the vehicle and wanted to be able to sell it as a fully functioning airspring vehicle when the time came.

BlackCat81 08-15-16 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by coloboardi (Post 9586330)
You could also just replace the airsprings for about the same price, $350. I bought OE replacements off Amazon. I towed with the vehicle and wanted to be able to sell it as a fully functioning airspring vehicle when the time came.

You can also put a set of air lift bags in the springs like a lot of us do to keep you level when you tow. My truck rides better now with coil springs than it ever did with air bags, and there's no looming thought in your head about when the next time a bag, line, or compressor will fail.

degmla 08-16-16 10:24 AM

I also just bought new bags. Relatively easy job once you figure out how to disengage the air tubes. I found a tip somewhere, probably on these forums, that you can use a caulk tube lid.

Now, I expect to get another 10 years off the bags, and then I'll do it again. No biggie compared to conversions.

SC3coupe 08-16-16 05:26 PM

Hi guys that have replaced the rear bags can you walk me through?
I have the factory procedure it is still a little confusing.

I know I have a slight leak because it takes around 24 hours and it would get close to the bump stop. Recently I replaced my shocks but by accident I let the suspension droop (while shocks are out) and may have caused the old bags to leak more due to the stress

the procedure says not to stretch the bags when installing. So my question is basically if the truck sits on the bump stop that is already low enough to do the replacement. Right?

BlackCat81 08-16-16 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by degmla (Post 9587329)
I also just bought new bags. Relatively easy job once you figure out how to disengage the air tubes. I found a tip somewhere, probably on these forums, that you can use a caulk tube lid.

Now, I expect to get another 10 years off the bags, and then I'll do it again. No biggie compared to conversions.

Wait until your $800 compressor goes out, then you'll be singing a different tune, lol.

degmla 08-16-16 08:52 PM

Ha, maybe! But, what I've learned with Lexus is: if it's a common failure mode, there will be a $400 repair option by then (unless I insist on OEM. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depends). And, if not, then $800 will get me another 10+ years?

When you pay $14k for a vehicle that someone else paid $45k for, an occasional $800 repair is insignificant.