GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New brakes and shocks. Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 12:36 PM
GXallday
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes and shocks. Need some help.

So I bought new brakes and shocks to replace on my GX. Brembo rotors, Hawk LTS pads, and 4 Bilstein 5100 shocks. Got the rear brakes and shocks done, but ran into some issues with the fronts. One of the four pistons on the front left caliper is stuck. I couldn't depress it back to fit the new pads. I ended up leaving the old pads and only replacing the rotor on that wheel. Front right wheel went smooth, everything got replaced. I did bed in my brakes, and braking is very good now, no pulsation on steering wheel, etc. However, what should I do about the caliper? Is there a way to fix the one piston?
Also, I didn't replace the front shocks. I couldn't figure out how to get the spring/shock assembly out. I don't know what exactly needs to be done to get it out. Does the lower control arm need to be completely removed?

Old 11-07-15, 02:39 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

You have a seized caliper, and it needs to be replaced. I've never done struts on a GX, but I'm assuming you'll need to separate the control arm from the knuckle, by disconnecting the lower ball joint. Removing the sway bar link will also give you more downward motion on the control arm.

Edit: if you're not aware, the fronts are struts. You'll need a spring compressor and lots of cursing to get them done.

Last edited by BlackCat81; 11-07-15 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-07-15, 02:56 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

X2 on seized caliper, very common on these trucks.
Old 11-07-15, 07:59 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

The front shocks are fairly easy. However they are a bit time consuming. There is an electronic actuator that controls the dampening rate at the top of the shock. This is in an extremely tight spot even with my small hands. Once I removed the actuator it was only three bolts at the top and one at the bottom of the strut assembly. To get the strut assembly out, I first unbolted the caliper and tied it up out of the way to make sure the brake line was not stretched. Second, I removed the clamps holding the ABS/wheel speed sensor cable from the control arm and spindle assembly to alow plenty of movement without it being stretched as well. Next pop the upper ball joint and steering/tie rod end loose from the spindle assembly. You should now have enough room to get the strut assembly out.

Now with the strut out you can use a spring compressor or take the struts to a tire shop and have them swap out the shock real fast. Just be careful with spring compressors as there is a lot of tension in the coils and it can be very dangerous if not done properly.
Old 11-09-15, 11:48 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there a way to un-seize the caliper piston so one can at least put the new pad in while ordering new calipers?
Old 11-10-15, 03:41 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Is there a way to un-seize the caliper piston so one can at least put the new pad in while ordering new calipers?
Unless you choose to rebuild the calipers yourself, no. And don't put a new set of pads on a seized caliper, you'll chew through them in no time. Remember, that piston isn't retracting, causing the pad and rotor to stay in contact.
Old 11-10-15, 08:15 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the skinny. Replace both from calipers. If you are gonna spring for Brembo Rotors, you can spring for two new calipers.

As far as the shocks are concerned, this may not be a job for you. the current shocks are electronically controlled the ones you bought are really good, but they are not a direct swap peer se. Do some research on this site for bilstein and you will see what I mean.

As far as replacing the front shocks. go to www.t4r.org that is a 4runner enthusiast site that has tons of info on exactly how to do this.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-15, 08:56 PM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by Morphyne
Here's the skinny. Replace both from calipers. If you are gonna spring for Brembo Rotors, you can spring for two new calipers.

As far as the shocks are concerned, this may not be a job for you. the current shocks are electronically controlled the ones you bought are really good, but they are not a direct swap peer se. Do some research on this site for bilstein and you will see what I mean.

As far as replacing the front shocks. go to www.t4r.org that is a 4runner enthusiast site that has tons of info on exactly how to do this.

Good luck.
The brembos are hardly expensive at $60 each for the fronts. I'm sure good quality calipers are much more than that.
The shocks are actually a direct swap. You just don't need the actuator on top. Im not a newbie when it comes to cars, I just needed to know exactly what to take off to clear enough room for the strut to come out. Seeing how so many people here have done this, I thought there'd be a tutorial here. But I haven't found one.
Old 11-11-15, 04:38 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GXallday
The brembos are hardly expensive at $60 each for the fronts. I'm sure good quality calipers are much more than that.
The shocks are actually a direct swap. You just don't need the actuator on top. Im not a newbie when it comes to cars, I just needed to know exactly what to take off to clear enough room for the strut to come out. Seeing how so many people here have done this, I thought there'd be a tutorial here. But I haven't found one.
Go with reman'd calipers from Napa or Carquest. They won't be expensive and they'll have a lifetime warranty.
Old 11-11-15, 05:02 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GXallday
Wow. I honestly thought those brembos would be way more than that. But like I said, there are some great tutoriuals on t4r for the shocks. When I did mine I cant remember all I had to take off but I know I had to crank on the lower arm with a crowbar to get the springs in.
Old 11-12-15, 06:28 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Here is one trick that I used to un-seize the caliper piston. I did this on my other car, not the GX. I had a seize piston and couldn't depress it to install the new pads. I had the caliper out from the disk. Put a piece wood between the piston and the caliper wall. Start the car and apply the brake briefly. The hydraulic brake force will push the piston out to break through the seize.