GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005-GX470 - Air Ride Replaced -- STILL NOT WORKING

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 09:16 AM
tabjraxa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005-GX470 - Air Ride Replaced -- STILL NOT WORKING

Hi All,

My air ride started giving a C1751 error. The non-lexus mechanic suggested that the sensors and compressor needed replaced. Since this was an intermittent problem, I waited, and had the Lexus Dealership do their testing. They said the same thing.

The cost of this "little change", if done by the dealership was to be $3,300.
My mechanic said they could do the same thing for $2,400.

They had also discussed a conversion to Shocks and Struts -- that should have costed around $800.

When I went to the mechanic to drop the car off, they said, a conversion kit did not exist for my car.

So, I went the $2,400 path.

Out of curiosity I checked via google if there was a conversion kit -- within 2 seconds, they said, there was in fact a conversion kit for my 2005GX470. By this time the mechanic had already installed the new parts - but they called Strutmaster to see if the kit was complete. Supposedly, there are parts that didn't come in the kit, and weren't available -- I think they said, the Computer Bypass?

So, picked up the car this morning. New parts installed (OEM from LEXUS), and within 10 miles, the air ride was NOT working.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be happening -- other than ineptness by my mechanic?

Hope you can help,
Thx,
T.
Old 10-21-15, 09:36 AM
Aramis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man that really sucks... I was faced with a similar problem though with just my shocks. After much deliberation I went ahead with a Strutmasters kit (Rear Springs and Shocks) and Arnott shocks for the front.

I know of at least two conversion kits that have great reviews and apparently are complete and fit perfectly: Strutmasters and Arnott.

Anyway, for more details see my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uspension.html

Other than that - sorry for your trouble man. Take that thing back and let the Mechanic deal with it.
Old 10-21-15, 09:44 AM
tabjraxa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aramis
Oh man that really sucks... I was faced with a similar problem though with just my shocks. After much deliberation I went ahead with a Strutmasters kit (Rear Springs and Shocks) and Arnott shocks for the front.

I know of at least two conversion kits that have great reviews and apparently are complete and fit perfectly: Strutmasters and Arnott.

Anyway, for more details see my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uspension.html

Other than that - sorry for your trouble man. Take that thing back and let the Mechanic deal with it.

HMMMM/GRRR ... I think they lied to me about the shocks/struts ... soooo, this problem with the OEM is just making it worse. Was there any connecting/bypass of the computer system required when you installed your kit?

thx,
T
Old 10-21-15, 10:56 AM
Aramis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tabjraxa
HMMMM/GRRR ... I think they lied to me about the shocks/struts ... soooo, this problem with the OEM is just making it worse. Was there any connecting/bypass of the computer system required when you installed your kit?

thx,
T
I never saw the kit and what it included as I had it shipped straight to the shop, but can tell you I don't have any warning lights.

With 250k miles though I was fully prepared to just disconnect the fuse that controls that light anyway. Happy I didn't have to do it!
Old 10-21-15, 02:58 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

thx,
T
I did my rear spring conversion for less than $450 using the MetalTech kit and new FJ Cruiser springs. And that includes a set of $100 air lift bags that go inside the springs. There are no special parts to keep the lights off, you pull 2 fuses and disconnect the air ride module behind the drivers kick panel. Easy peasy.

Last edited by BlackCat81; 10-21-15 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-21-15, 07:37 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Hi All,

My air ride started giving a C1751 error. The non-lexus mechanic suggested that the sensors and compressor needed replaced. Since this was an intermittent problem, I waited, and had the Lexus Dealership do their testing. They said the same thing.

The cost of this "little change", if done by the dealership was to be $3,300.
My mechanic said they could do the same thing for $2,400.

They had also discussed a conversion to Shocks and Struts -- that should have costed around $800.

When I went to the mechanic to drop the car off, they said, a conversion kit did not exist for my car.

So, I went the $2,400 path.

Out of curiosity I checked via google if there was a conversion kit -- within 2 seconds, they said, there was in fact a conversion kit for my 2005GX470. By this time the mechanic had already installed the new parts - but they called Strutmaster to see if the kit was complete. Supposedly, there are parts that didn't come in the kit, and weren't available -- I think they said, the Computer Bypass?

So, picked up the car this morning. New parts installed (OEM from LEXUS), and within 10 miles, the air ride was NOT working.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be happening -- other than ineptness by my mechanic?

Hope you can help,
Thx,
T.
Usually the air springs leaking
Old 10-22-15, 12:33 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I definitely think it was misdiagnosed. They probably didn't understand the system and just threw everything they could at it hoping something would stick. The idea that all the sensors and the compressor all went out at the same time sounds like someone fired up the parts cannon and still missed.

Not sure what the car's history was but the air springs failing from age are about 100x more likely to be at fault than the compressor or sensors.

Also,if I thought the compressor needed replacing, I would go look first for something at a salvage yard rather than going to a dealer for a new part. A more honest shop would have put that out as an option, especially since it's not that hard to swap out. That alone could have probably shaved a thousand dollars off the bill.

If after spending $2,400 you're still having the same problems and trouble codes, they owe you a full refund but my guess is they will say or do anything to not let that happen.

I really think the smart play for these SUVs as they get older is to go straight to a steel coil conversion if you're having any problems.

Last edited by BradTank; 10-22-15 at 12:37 PM.