GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New to the forum BW GX470

Old 09-29-15, 08:56 AM
TRY666
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to the forum BW GX470

06 BW. No KDSS, no nav, 114k from the original owner. The GX I always wanted I finally got, nice to meet everyone and enjoy some generic photos I took.

Would someone remind me how to use damn [img] codes on Flickr to just insert the pictures. I'm such a f'n noob now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/325355...posted-public/

Last edited by TRY666; 09-29-15 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 10:02 AM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really clean! Very similar specs to mine! Any plans for it?

For pictures just click on the mountain and sun icon on the post/reply tool menu then insert you're url that you posted.

Good luck!
Old 09-29-15, 10:52 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Sharp truck, I like the window visors, wish I could convince the wife her GX needed a set.
Old 09-29-15, 10:57 AM
TRY666
Driver School Candidate

Thanks dudes. Scat, TY sir - tried using the mountain, uploaded 3 pictures and tried to insert and nothing was in the post body. I'll figure it out.

Window visors are Weather Tech, rear cargo as well.

I want to do some Bilstein 5100's on the stock spring at the first lowest perch and keep the rear stock to level out the factory rake. Should raise the front like an 1inch right?

Will that be an alright start or will it ride like dog ****?
Old 09-29-15, 11:24 AM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Should ride fine, truck probably needs new shocks anyway at its age.
Old 09-30-15, 06:43 AM
TRY666
Driver School Candidate

Would I be better off getting these and saying **** it with my OE springs?

Will the truck be too tall in the front with these if I leave the rear stock but on the "tall" setting?

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...s-_p_1171.html
Old 09-30-15, 01:53 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Ok so that coilover kit from Toytec won't work with the GX. You need to look for one for the FJ cruiser or the 4th gen 4Runner (03-09).

If you did go the coilover only in the front route with a 3" lift, then I'd assume the front would be a little bit higher than the rear, even with the "tall" setting. You could maybe just set the coilovers to 2" or so to try and balance out the rear but it may never look even and the ride may suffer with such a different spring setup in the front compared to the rear.

Im not an expert on the 120 platform but from my research it seems best to just replace the entire front and rear with new shocks and coils along with the MetalTech rear coil conversion kit, whether you go a mild route like using FJ springs & Bilsteins or go with a full aftermarket kit. Keep in mind that I have seen multiple posts that when people do the "airbag trick" that the rear rides incredibly harsh afterwards.

I ended up going with Toytec's 2.5 series coil overs up front with the superflex HD rear springs and boss rear shocks. Im looking to get about 3" up front with a little over 3" in the rear. If the Boss shocks are too harsh, Im going to switch them out with an extended travel Bilstein or something of that nature.

Hope this helps, keep searching and you'll find some good info!

Cheers!
Old 09-30-15, 03:09 PM
TRY666
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ScatAdams
Ok so that coilover kit from Toytec won't work with the GX. You need to look for one for the FJ cruiser or the 4th gen 4Runner (03-09).

If you did go the coilover only in the front route with a 3" lift, then I'd assume the front would be a little bit higher than the rear, even with the "tall" setting. You could maybe just set the coilovers to 2" or so to try and balance out the rear but it may never look even and the ride may suffer with such a different spring setup in the front compared to the rear.

Im not an expert on the 120 platform but from my research it seems best to just replace the entire front and rear with new shocks and coils along with the MetalTech rear coil conversion kit, whether you go a mild route like using FJ springs & Bilsteins or go with a full aftermarket kit. Keep in mind that I have seen multiple posts that when people do the "airbag trick" that the rear rides incredibly harsh afterwards.

I ended up going with Toytec's 2.5 series coil overs up front with the superflex HD rear springs and boss rear shocks. Im looking to get about 3" up front with a little over 3" in the rear. If the Boss shocks are too harsh, Im going to switch them out with an extended travel Bilstein or something of that nature.

Hope this helps, keep searching and you'll find some good info!

Cheers!

Appreciate it man. Did you notice the link I posted was for the 03-09 4Runner? Also from what I read its adjustable to 1-3 inches so I was hoping I could run it at the "1 inch" setting. Also, not sure what the spring rate is either but from what I have read people have said its not a harsh ride. I'm not doing the "air bag trick" as I still want everything to ride fairly close to factory.

I'm just looking for something to raise the truck about an inch in the front, keep everything else factory for right now. Excited to see pictures of your set up though.

Anyone else with any input on a 1 inch front lift just for the front?

Thanks all.
Old 09-30-15, 03:14 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Ah gotcha I misread the link you sent but ya hopefully others can chime in, I feel like the gx is still such an untouched platform it's sometimes hard to get solid answers.