GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Don't use OEM 4runner springs for suspension conversion.

Old 09-21-15, 02:03 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Don't use OEM 4runner springs for suspension conversion.

So I recently swapped out the rear air, for OEM Toyota shocks, and coil springs on my GX. I got Springs from a 2004 4Runner V8 (pretty much the same truck as mine) and have to say that they are not adequate for use on the GX.

I don't know what others have experienced, but with me in the truck alone, it rode very well.... However, I made a trip to the airport the other day to pick my brother and sister up, and also had my dad in the car. Now before you ask, no, none of us are big fat people tipping the scales, but with 4 people in the truck, it was quite literally dragging its butt. bottoming out, and riding VERY harsh over everything. I couldn't imagine how it would be with either a trailer or a full load of people including the third row seat.

So yeah, Factory 4Runner springs are a no go... I have heard some people have had good luck with FJ Cruiser springs, which i hear are a bit beefier.. either that, or go with lift springs in the back.
Old 09-21-15, 03:41 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I think it's kind of well known that the GX has more weight than a 4Runner, which is why I, as well as most people, use FJ cruiser springs.
Old 09-21-15, 06:23 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
So I recently swapped out the rear air, for OEM Toyota shocks, and coil springs on my GX. I got Springs from a 2004 4Runner V8 (pretty much the same truck as mine) and have to say that they are not adequate for use on the GX.

I don't know what others have experienced, but with me in the truck alone, it rode very well.... However, I made a trip to the airport the other day to pick my brother and sister up, and also had my dad in the car. Now before you ask, no, none of us are big fat people tipping the scales, but with 4 people in the truck, it was quite literally dragging its butt. bottoming out, and riding VERY harsh over everything. I couldn't imagine how it would be with either a trailer or a full load of people including the third row seat.

So yeah, Factory 4Runner springs are a no go... I have heard some people have had good luck with FJ Cruiser springs, which i hear are a bit beefier.. either that, or go with lift springs in the back.
I'm wondering why the swap ??
Old 09-21-15, 11:31 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by techrep
I'm wondering why the swap ??
Because replacing bags and/or the compressor is very expensive, while a spring conversion can be done for less than $400.
Old 09-21-15, 12:04 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I found the oem bags for about $160 each which is not really as bad as people make it out to be
Have not priced the compressor but not everyone needs that
Old 09-21-15, 01:25 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
I found the oem bags for about $160 each which is not really as bad as people make it out to be
True, but a lot of us have lifted/modified trucks that also require springs to be done properly. They're also much more reliable and once done, you eliminate one of the only weak links in the truck. It's a very easy and cost effective repair once bags and/or the compressor fail.
Old 09-21-15, 01:31 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

You should post a link to those cheap airbags so others can consider them when they're in a crunch and requiring repairs to be done quickly!
Old 09-21-15, 01:44 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

It's on eBay and Amazon. One is even sold by a Lexus dealer for $177
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KW...A2PGBZPZQB0JIH

I have seen even cheaper if you look around, for example there is a $20 off eBay motors in the next few days
Old 09-21-15, 10:22 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
I think it's kind of well known that the GX has more weight than a 4Runner, which is why I, as well as most people, use FJ cruiser springs.
I was trying to get it as close to possible to factory as it could be. I had read that 4Runner springs worked as well, but i would say that is not the case, unless you only drive empty with no passengers. oh well.

It's also an issue of the rear shocks and other parts going bad. yes, the airbags are not too expensive as a whole, but the rear shocks were toast, which would allow it to bottom out quite often. and being that they are $700ish apeice, and the fact that the air suspension also has the hight sensors ($200+ each if i am not mistaken) the compressor, and a whole lot of valve and solenoids, it is only a matter of time before those go out too.
Old 09-22-15, 05:33 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Yoshi- did you consider the Strutmaster conversion kit?
Old 09-22-15, 04:36 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

I was trying to get it as close to possible to factory as it could be. I had read that 4Runner springs worked as well, but i would say that is not the case, unless you only drive empty with no passengers. oh well.

It's also an issue of the rear shocks and other parts going bad. yes, the airbags are not too expensive as a whole, but the rear shocks were toast, which would allow it to bottom out quite often. and being that they are $700ish apeice, and the fact that the air suspension also has the hight sensors ($200+ each if i am not mistaken) the compressor, and a whole lot of valve and solenoids, it is only a matter of time before those go out too.
You can put a set of airlift bags inside the 4Runner coils and inflate them when you are expecting to carry a heavy load. They're less than $100.

Old 09-22-15, 04:42 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

it looks like my car does lower itself a little bit on 1 side (based on wheel gap) if I didn't drive a couple of days. Does that mean one bag has a leak then?
Old 09-22-15, 04:47 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

it looks like my car does lower itself a little bit on 1 side (based on wheel gap) if I didn't drive a couple of days. Does that mean one bag has a leak then?
Yes, more than likely.
Old 09-22-15, 05:20 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

... the rear shocks were toast, which would allow it to bottom out quite often. and being that they are $700ish apeice, ....
Actually they're only $500 each! I could see how you might not want to drop $1400 on a pair of rear shocks, but a cool grand would have been peanuts!

Just kidding. I plan to convert to a more conventional suspension when the time comes, and I appreciate you sharing your experience with the 4Runner coils. I have researched this previously and probably would have done the 4R coils too - so you saved me some headaches.
Old 09-22-15, 05:33 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Hmm Can I run bilstein shocks with the bag system?

The shocks are expensive because the dampening is controlled from the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't use OEM 4runner springs for suspension conversion.