GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What Is The Correct Instruction For Programming Key 2005 GX 470

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 07:35 AM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What Is The Correct Instruction For Programming Key 2005 GX 470

Help !, I'm really confused. I've been trying to find out what the heck is the correct process sequence for programming a additional master key with remote for a 2005 GX 470. I do have a master with remote that works and I got another from the guy I bought the car from that needs cutting and the programming. I am aware it requires 2 programs, one for the transponder and 1 for the remote functions. I found a place that can cut the key, but I've found several different instructions on the programming and they talk about either a D or E style - What style is the 2005 ? Some say you have to have the dealer do it, some say ya can DIY. Seems hard to believe only a dealer can do it if you can get it done by a locksmith. This can't be rocket science, but I'd like to know the correct way and why am I finding so many different instructions and variations ? Were there different keys for the 2005 model year ? I've done GM and Ford before and usuakky found consistant instructions.
Old 09-03-15, 06:53 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I know on the 2004 gx470 you need the techstream device in order to do it. Most people have to have the dealer program it for them
Old 09-03-15, 07:35 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

That may be correct, but that's what is confusing because some of the internet information says it can be done without it. Does anybody know for sure ? I'd like to do it myself, if that's possible, because the nearest dealer is 125 miles away in Minneapolis.
Old 09-03-15, 07:42 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
That may be correct, but that's what is confusing because some of the internet information says it can be done without it. Does anybody know for sure ? I'd like to do it myself, if that's possible, because the nearest dealer is 125 miles away in Minneapolis.
I found these on internet for REMOTE BUTTONS ONLY NOT FOR IMMOBILIZER CHIP PROGRAMING

Search
Post navigation← Previous Next →
Free programming instructions for 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 Lexus GX470 Remote keyless entry fob alarm key
Posted on June 30, 2015
You can program the remote portion of your 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 Lexus GX470 yourself at home with this procedure:

**Key must be separately cut and (chip in key) programmed by dealer or locksmith to start the car… this procedure will only program the remote buttons on the key**

Driver’s door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch.
Within 5 seconds:
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.
Within 40 seconds:
Close and open driver’s door twice.
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch.
Within 40 seconds:
Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
Switch ignition ON and OFF:
Once to program a key remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes.
Twice to program a key remote transmitter code whilst erasing the original codes.
Three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered.
Five times to erase all registered codes.
Remove key from ignition switch.
System should now lock and unlock vehicle once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four
times, slowly, to indicate number of remote transmitters registered.
Within 40 seconds:
Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
Within 3 seconds:
Press and release LOCK or UNLOCK button Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 .
System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once to confirm registration or twice to indicate registration has failed.
Within 40 seconds:
Repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters.
NOTE: To exit programming mode: Open driver’s door or insert ignition key.
NOTE: A maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.
Old 09-03-15, 09:56 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

I found that set of instructions also, but also found various others that were different. Has anyone actually successfully programmed a 2005 GX 470 key, and if so what instructions did you use ? I'm thinking I'll call some locksmiths in the area and see if they can do it, and what they charge being I need the blade cut anyway
Old 09-04-15, 04:27 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

just buy Techstream off Amazon for $30 and do it.
Old 09-10-15, 04:45 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Well I called a locksmith up here and he said he could cut the key and program it for $75 but was unable to hook up with him. Was going to the Minneapolis area anyway so I called several locksmiths and found prices can vary greatly, was referred to a place called Quick Keys and met with the guy at a Sam's club parking lot. Turns out the shell blade I had was cracked, he had one that he then cut and programmed for a total of $74 using the OEM guts and the Lexus back plate cover from the one I was given. So now I have my second master key (with remote) and I can quit looking. Turns out that if you want a new master key with remote he can do the whole thing with programming and including an after market key (no "L" on the back) for $130. Saves you at least $100 over going OEM at a dealer, and works as long as you still have a master key to work from.
Old 10-04-16, 09:19 PM
bgpilot34
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a key from 1010 keys on ebay for my 2004 gx470... after purchasing they key I was able too program the wireless lock/unlock features. See instructions::

Driver’s door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch.
Within 5 seconds:
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.
Within 40 seconds:
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch.
Within 40 seconds:
Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
Switch ignition ON and OFF:
Once to program a key remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes.
Twice to program a key remote transmitter code whilst erasing the original codes.
Three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered.
Five times to erase all registered codes.
Remove key from ignition switch.
System should now lock and unlock vehicle once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four
times, slowly, to indicate number of remote transmitters registered.
Within 40 seconds:
Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
Within 3 seconds:
Press and release LOCK or UNLOCK button Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 .
System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once to confirm registration or twice to indicate registration has failed.
Within 40 seconds:
Repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters.
NOTE: To exit programming mode: Open driver’s door or insert ignition key.
NOTE: A maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.

The 2nd part is programing the immobilizer to start the vehicle. You need to buy techstream for this. Watch this video....it's very close to the exact steps for the 2004 GX

This is exactly how I did mine...I hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
fozzir (07-04-17)
Old 10-05-16, 06:58 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I've had a new key sitting on my desk for a couple months now, and I've had a techstream for years that I've never even tried out yet. Time to get off my *** and get this done, thanks for the info!
Old 10-07-16, 08:44 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Finally got this done last night, and it didn't go easy, lol. Got the keyfob programming done with some messing around, kept giving me 2X lock/unlock indicating it had failed, but finally got the programming to take. Seems to be all in how you hold your mouth.

Then comes the techstream process. I'd purchased a techstream shortly after picking up this truck, but had never installed and tried it out. Had a lot of issues getting the software working, and finally came to the conclusion that it just may not work on a win10 PC, so I installed it on an old junker laptop I run my MB STAR DAS system on from china, and finally got that working. Once that was sorted, I just followed the video and it went very smoothly. Thanks again for the great post @bgpilot34!
Old 10-09-16, 07:01 AM
bgpilot34
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very glad to hear you got it done! My experience was very similar...I needed a computer "hacker" friend to install the software.

Spread the word, there's a lot of bad info out there regarding the key immobilizer programming process.