ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009-218/)
-   -   Another Backup camera install (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/795121-another-backup-camera-install.html)

Brklynkid 08-21-15 09:43 PM

Another Backup camera install

Hi all
Picking up an 03 gx . I'm planning on installing after market backup camera. Hoping a CL member
Here already knows which colored wires are for the reverse light in the rear hatch. I've found the older threads that say how to remove interior liner of rear hatch but no specifics on location of wires or what colors.
Any help is appreciated
Thx
:)

Brklynkid 08-22-15 08:49 PM

Sorry after picking up the gx today I realized backup lights are the only lights on rear hatch.

SC3coupe 08-23-15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brklynkid (Post 9158090)
Hi all
Picking up an 03 gx . I'm planning on installing after market backup camera. Hoping a CL member
Here already knows which colored wires are for the reverse light in the rear hatch. I've found the older threads that say how to remove interior liner of rear hatch but no specifics on location of wires or what colors.
Any help is appreciated
Thx
:)

Hi which camera are you installing? Does it look similar to OEM one?
Is it part of a stereo system?

Thanks

Brklynkid 08-24-15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by SC3coupe (Post 9159692)
Hi which camera are you installing? Does it look similar to OEM one?
Is it part of a stereo system?

Thanks

Im using the Garmin BC 30 wireless communication to the Garmin 55LM nav unit

I dont have factory Nav. If you do then I would go with the NAviks module along with any camera you want so you could use factory Navigation screen
Brklynkid

SC3coupe 08-24-15 02:10 PM

Thanks, I also got non-nav planning in the future to get a new head unit.

However, I am finding myself liking the non-nav factory stereo and rear audio, so I was just thinking if I can mount a garmin somewhere this will be good.
Do you have the Nuvi installed semi-permanently somewhere?

It looks like with your wireless camera.. You do not need to run any wire from the trunk door back to the car body? Just needed to tap off the reverse light wires?

Please share the pics of the install.

Brklynkid 08-24-15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by SC3coupe (Post 9160453)
Thanks, I also got non-nav planning in the future to get a new head unit.

However, I am finding myself liking the non-nav factory stereo and rear audio, so I was just thinking if I can mount a garmin somewhere this will be good.
Do you have the Nuvi installed semi-permanently somewhere?

It looks like with your wireless camera.. You do not need to run any wire from the trunk door back to the car body? Just needed to tap off the reverse light wires?

Please share the pics of the install.

You do have to drill thru rear door to get to to backup light wires and place a transponder to link up with nav unit. i will put up pics as soon as i get it done

Brklynkid 09-20-15 03:07 PM

Installed harming backup camera today. Hardest part is tapping into to the rear lights to powerthe rear camera. It transmits wirelessly to the garmin gps on dash. Sometimes this camera doesn't work if the vehicles backup lights wires don't provide enough power. That's not the case with the GX.

I drilled small hole over license plate light to run camera wire then removed rear hatch panel to get access to back up light wires.

Re-installed panels and Paired camera to gps unit and put gx in reverse. Camera and image on screen popped right up.