GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Question on handling...OEM performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 01:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the stock springs on the front do not wear out really, its fine to reuse them. the only reason to change would be to change height or if you are adding armor to the front end (metal bumper, winch etc..) you would go to an aftermarket stiffer spring to hold the extra weight, or if you wanted to get lift from the spring then you would go with a taller spring.

if you have the adjustable blisteins on the front, you can just use the notches for up to like 2.5" of lift I think with the stock springs. stock springs are good if you have a mostly stock GX and are just leveling it out.
Old 06-15-15, 01:55 PM
new2012jee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the stock springs on the front do not wear out really, its fine to reuse them. the only reason to change would be to change height or if you are adding armor to the front end (metal bumper, winch etc..) you would go to an aftermarket stiffer spring to hold the extra weight, or if you wanted to get lift from the spring then you would go with a taller spring.

if you have the adjustable blisteins on the front, you can just use the notches for up to like 2.5" of lift I think with the stock springs. stock springs are good if you have a mostly stock GX and are just leveling it out.
Awesome! Thanks again, I ordered the 5100 fronts, and will just basically level it out. The affirmation you provided really helps.
Old 06-15-15, 04:48 PM
cltide
Driver School Candidate

OP, please keep us updated once the fronts get installed. I'm about to replace both sets of springs so I'll be curious to know what you think.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-15, 06:05 PM
new2012jee
Rookie

Originally Posted by cltide
OP, please keep us updated once the fronts get installed. I'm about to replace both sets of springs so I'll be curious to know what you think.

Thanks.
I was skeptical on the 5100's, since I had them on 2 door wrangler, due to a 3" lift. That ride was bouncy, flighty, and very stiff. I figured this car practically weighing 1500 pounds more might work. I read all in all about 200 reviews after Ali recommended, and all were positive, and from heavier vehicle owners.

My review may be biased, as I don't know what new or good OEM shocks ride like. My review is from shocks dated 2005, with 109,000 miles.

However, the rears alone have cured my rear bouncing, swaying, and possibly even a slight driver side lean (I keep checking since install, and it is no **** sitting square!) I do not bottom out in my parking garages elongated speed bumps anymore, and I can take the corners tighter, as it no longer feels like the rear will bounce to the opposite direction of my turn. I am not positive on this one, but I want to say road noise in rear cab also appears to not chatter as much with road surface variations. It feels good driving, kind of like a luxury sport feel, not stiff but not soft. These, do not bounce!
Old 06-21-15, 04:35 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by new2012jee
Awesome! Thanks again, I ordered the 5100 fronts, and will just basically level it out. The affirmation you provided really helps.
When you put the 5100 in the rear with stock front, was there any rake effect? Was the rear higher than the front? I'm planning to install the rear shocks like the ones you got and if there is a rake then I think I may install both at the same time. Can you please provide the exact links of both rear and front that you purchased?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-15, 07:43 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matsui
When you put the 5100 in the rear with stock front, was there any rake effect? Was the rear higher than the front? I'm planning to install the rear shocks like the ones you got and if there is a rake then I think I may install both at the same time. Can you please provide the exact links of both rear and front that you purchased?

Thanks.
The rake is the same as what it looks stock, there was no change.

I will however be using the 0.85 Inch lift that the front adjustable height Bilsteins provide, to hopefully eliminate the rake.

I used the following part #'s, probably just google for best prices.

Front: 24-239370
Rear: 33-187174
Old 06-22-15, 09:41 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by new2012jee
The rake is the same as what it looks stock, there was no change.

I will however be using the 0.85 Inch lift that the front adjustable height Bilsteins provide, to hopefully eliminate the rake.

I used the following part #'s, probably just google for best prices.

Front: 24-239370
Rear: 33-187174
Thank you so much for providing the exact information - this is very helpful. I think I'll get all 4 shocks replaced at the same time.

Have you already replaced both front and back? Any remorse so far going this route?

Do you have any plans in future to replace the front springs and/or the rear airbags/springs? Both seem fine on my car at this point, but I'm wondering what options I'll be left with once I get these shocks installed on all four. I'm definitely leaning towards getting rid of the airbags in rear to avoid costly repair down the road since I plan to keep my car for a very long time. Strutmasters conversion kit seems like one option - but it seems that the kit comes with its own shocks so this may not be an option for me?
Old 06-22-15, 10:02 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

No problem!

I have not done the fronts yet, but other members here have. They are in my possession, but that is one I don't feel like tackling, as I may have the shop do my half axles too.

The rear Bilstein 5100's are for 0-2" of lift, so if you lift in the future, or change to springs in the rear, you will be all set to go.

For now, I am leaving my air bags in, and will take them as they go. If for some reason they start giving me problems, I may order either the Arnott Rear Spring Kit, or the Arnott Air Bags. I would need to re-evaluate the cost benefit of keeping the airbags, versus just changing out the coils. Both the Arnott Rear Bags, or the Rear Springs, are to retain factory height, no lift.

I believe Strutmasters is a whole kit, which means you would be using different shocks, which come with the kit, and I believe the Bilsteins are a much higher quality than what you get in the Strutmasters kit.
Old 06-23-15, 04:37 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Would it create any problems like extra load or stiffness on the stock springs if I lift the front an inch or so to balance the height with the rear? If it is OK, then how much can I lift front and rear on stock springs without causing any issues?

I just ordered the Bilsteain for both Front and Rear from Amazon! I'm just a little nervous since it says that it does not fit your 2009 GX470, so if anyone can confirm if I got the right parts that would be great:

REAR
Amazon.com: Bilstein 33-187174 2" Lift Rear Shock for Toyota FJ Cruiser: Automotive Amazon.com: Bilstein 33-187174 2" Lift Rear Shock for Toyota FJ Cruiser: Automotive

FRONT
Amazon.com: Bilstein 24-239370 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber: Automotive Amazon.com: Bilstein 24-239370 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber: Automotive
Old 06-23-15, 05:10 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

No worries. Those are the correct parts.

The front struts on bilsteins first notch is for a .85" lift. All it's raising the bottom mount location, as compared to the stock location. I will have these installed in about 2 weeks, waiting sucks, but will put pictures
Old 06-23-15, 09:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

how much you want to lift depends on what you consider "issues".
leveling out the front to better match the rear is always a good idea, an alignment will get you right back into factory spec after that.

you could also raise the rear an inch, then do the front an inch plus the leveling, but then you start to change the suspension geometry a little more but is shuld still align fine, but car will be a little taller and make your factory tire size look a little small. you would need taller tires to make it look good again with this lift, an all terrain 265/70/17 would work nicely then and make it look mean (stock is 265/65/17).

you could also raise the rear 2" and the front 2" plus the leveling (about 2.5").
This is what I did but I have maxed out the stock alignment ability and am very close to not having the correct caster anymore. the car sits much noticeably higher and will have a little more roll. Not only would I suggest taller tires to make it look good again, but wider tires with better offset wheels like the tundra or FJ cruiser wheels. the wider tires and stance here helps counter the effects of being 2" taller on an already tall SUV.
To get perfect alignment with a 2"+ lift (caster wise) you will need aftermarket upper A arms with more caster adjustment which there are plenty to choose from from entry level arms to competition offroad type stuff.

most people just level out the front, and I would recommend that to anyone using stock wheels and tires.

But with how easy it is to lift the rear of the GX an inch, I would probably get slightly taller tires than stock like the 265/70/17 which forum members say fits without rubbing on the stock wheels and look great if you get an all terain tire, then you could also level that out with bilsteins up front and it will look like you have a small lift.

so I would say make a decision on what tires and wheels you will run, then figure out the lift you need for it, unless you already know you want a small lift. don't go more than an inch and you shouldn't have much issues, above 2" lift you need much more aftermarket parts and the rear air springs get stiff etc..
Old 06-23-15, 11:12 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

At this point, I'm only interested in eliminating the rake effect.

I'm going to be upgrading wheels/beefier tires down the road, but before I do that I'm probably going to be getting rid of the airbags and doing a conversion. New2012jee provided a good suggestion to get the Arnott spring kit. Hopefully that will allow me to increase the ride height up to 2-2.5" on the shocks for additional clearance. But this won't be anytime soon, so right now I'm really looking forward to an improved ride quality with the Bilstein and completely getting rid of the rake effect by increasing the front by about an inch.
Old 06-23-15, 11:42 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

The arnott springs will not lift your vehicle, it's merely a bag to spring conversion.

If you plan on lifting, I would only do the shocks now
Old 06-23-15, 03:19 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 5100's on mine with OEM springs on the second highest lift position and I love the look. I noticed the ride is overall better than stock but also added OME lift springs in the back. The one thing that is also noticeable is the exaggerated nose dive under braking. I think this is more of a spring issue than shock and I have some OME front springs that have been waiting to be installed to see if that lessens the nose dive.
Old 06-24-15, 10:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah the nose dive is related to the softness of the factory springs, and make sure you have at least a hair of forward rake. if you eliminate all of the rake entirely the car will be too balanced and the nose would likely dive more unpredictably since its not sitting down some already.

Quick Reply: Question on handling...OEM performance