ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009-218/)
-   -   Tire tread differences (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/770462-tire-tread-differences.html)

Helenasea2 01-18-15 07:17 AM

Tire tread differences

So I got 4 new tire a couple years ago and had to have one replaced. Now I have three two year old worn tires and two new tread tires (to include spare) the tire guy is saying I need all the same tread otherwise I'll ruin my drive train because the vehicle is all wheel drive. Would I be ok with one new tire and three half worn or beat to put two new tires in front or back with the two older together in front or back? I'm also Leary of using spare because it's a few years old and worry about dry rot. Thanks

NTH 01-18-15 07:20 AM

Pull out your spare to inspect it. If dry rotted, won't do you any good as a spare either. If it's good, I'd pair it with the new one then mount them in the rear. The 2 older ones on the front.

cdew002 01-18-15 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by NTH (Post 8873415)
Pull out your spare to inspect it. If dry rotted, won't do you any good as a spare either. If it's good, I'd pair it with the new one then mount them in the rear. The 2 older ones on the front.

Why do people say to put the old ones on the front? I've heard it before, but it sounds counterintuitive - for one; the front wears quicker, and two; if you have a blow out on the front, it seems worse than a blow out on the rear.

IanB2 01-18-15 08:39 AM

I've always heard to put new tires on the front, that's where all your braking and steering happens.

LexRex 01-18-15 09:07 AM

I was wondering about this question (new vs old tires and full time 4WD) myself.

I've heard you can get new tires shaved down to match the others on your car. Never done it, and wonder if anyone here has any experience with that.

Rz500 01-18-15 09:20 AM

My advice would be buy a nice new matching set of tires. Post your used ones for sale. You would be amazed what people are willing to pay for used tires. There are lots of people out there trying to piece together tire sets either due to budget or lease return etc... I just put new tires on my gx. I managed to sell my old tires with approximately 40% tread for $350.00. I plan to do the same with this set.

cdew002 01-18-15 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rz500 (Post 8873513)
My advice would be buy a nice new matching set of tires. Post your used ones for sale. You would be amazed what people are willing to pay for used tires. There are lots of people out there trying to piece together tire sets either due to budget or lease return etc... I just put new tires on my gx. I managed to sell my old tires with approximately 40% tread for $350.00. I plan to do the same with this set.

I did the same. Sold 4 tires with half their tread left for half what I paid new. Sold in a day on Craigslist.

Nothnghead 01-18-15 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by cdew002 (Post 8873425)
Why do people say to put the old ones on the front? I've heard it before, but it sounds counterintuitive - for one; the front wears quicker, and two; if you have a blow out on the front, it seems worse than a blow out on the rear.

It's about traction. If your rear tires let go, you spin out of control whether it's FWD RWD or AWD.

NTH 01-18-15 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nothnghead (Post 8873642)
It's about traction. If your rear tires let go, you spin out of control whether it's FWD RWD or AWD.

Correct! Tires with less grip on the rear will step sideways when you break traction. This will result in fish tailing or spin out. Tires with more grip on rear will make your vehicle less prone to stepping out.

cdew002 01-18-15 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nothnghead (Post 8873642)

Thanks guys.

IanB2 01-18-15 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by LexRex (Post 8873504)
I was wondering about this question (new vs old tires and full time 4WD) myself.

I've heard you can get new tires shaved down to match the others on your car. Never done it, and wonder if anyone here has any experience with that.

I've done this through Tire Rack in the past for my wife's '05 Legacy wagon as the center diffs are sensitive to tire size variance in those cars. I think it was $20 to have them "pre-wear" the tire for me after she hit a pothole and bulged the sidewall.

If you can swing it, I'd also recommend buying a new set and selling your old ones, that way you know you're good.

Helenasea2 01-19-15 06:54 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm going to get all new and sell the old. Do you think I will get any damage to my car by driving with the full tread spare and three other half wear tread until my tires come in? Around town driving?

NTH 01-19-15 10:26 AM

^Short term, No. That's what the differentials are for. They compensate for difference in speed like making turns or going around curves.

chiph9 01-19-15 11:19 AM

Yep. In-town, where you're making a lot of turns at relatively low-speed, you should be able to get away with a tire circumference difference. Long distances, at highway speeds, no. Realize that you're committing to 30,000 miles of this (given typical tread-wear guarantee of modern tires).

Chip H.

Lumbergh 01-20-15 08:17 AM

I encountered this issue as well.

Drove over something, ruining a tire.

Les Schwab tried to run me into 4 new tires to the tune of over $1000, claiming the need to keep the tread depth equal for the AWD system.

Went home and did some reading, apparently there is something to this according to the interwebs.

So I went to Tirerack.com and ordered an exact replacement, and they offer shaving service.

Had the new tire shaved to match the others and locally had the tire mounted on my rim.

Turned a $1000 misfortune into a $200 misfortune. Winning!