GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Install LED strip in footwell

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 12:17 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Install LED strip in footwell

I have a 2004 gx470 I want to install a LED strip of lights in my foot well. The foot well bulb that is there now is a 6 volt bulb I checked the voltage at the connector and it is 6 volt. I cant run my LED strip off that. Does any one know where I can get a 12 volt source that will power on with courtesy lights., I was thinking the running board lights and I could take a + and - Off and run it in to the foot well area . Seems like a lot of work. Then I thought i could find the courtesy light wire in the main door harness and splice into that but that also is a lot of work . Then I thought if I can just get a 12 volt positive source that was hot all the time I could use that as my + source power then pick up the ground I would need from the 6 volt foot well harness to trigger the strip lights to come on with the foot well bulb. I would think that the ground wire on the foot well bulb is the trigger. I dont think that the foot well would be triggered by the 6 volt positive wire I would think the ground is what is wired to turn on through the door switch.

Can someone enlighten me
Old 01-05-15, 06:15 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The amber LED that's already there (comes on when you're in park) isn't enough?

Chip H.
Old 01-05-15, 06:45 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chiph9
The amber LED that's already there (comes on when you're in park) isn't enough?

Chip H.
I know the amber light is not enough light and also is not enough voltage to run a strip of 12 volt led's off of . I am trying to find a close 12 volt + source that would trigger off of the courtesy lights or the running boards . I thought if I can use a pos 12 volt source I could then pick up the trigger for the led by using the ground wire that runs to the foot well amber light
Old 01-05-15, 04:08 PM
NR04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most cars use negative as a trigger. Therefore, you can run the hot 12V power source and use the negative from the existing footwell LED as a trigger for the relay. The relay doesn't draw much of a current so it's safer to use it then hard wiring directly into your new LED.

By the way, I'm planning on doing to same thing to my truck. I just need to find a good LED that isn't too bright for this use.
Old 01-05-15, 05:40 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NR04
Most cars use negative as a trigger. Therefore, you can run the hot 12V power source and use the negative from the existing footwell LED as a trigger for the relay. The relay doesn't draw much of a current so it's safer to use it then hard wiring directly into your new LED.

By the way, I'm planning on doing to same thing to my truck. I just need to find a good LED that isn't too bright for this use.
When I dropped the passenger side lower trim panel I found the original light connector so I can gain access to the negative wire for the trigger. Attached to the trim panel is a module that says 4 wheel drive on it and then there is another module that says tire pressure monitor on it. I dont think any of the positive wires are hot all the time I will have to get my volt meter and check it out. There also may be a fuse block behind the passenger side lower kick panel. Are you aware of where I could find a 12 volt source thats
hot all the time ?
Old 01-06-15, 09:41 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can always run wiring with an add a fuse to the fuse panel by the dash and find a fuse that it is ignition controlled
Old 01-06-15, 10:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 470SNC
you can always run wiring with an add a fuse to the fuse panel by the dash and find a fuse that it is ignition controlled
I need a fused source that is always on. Was hoping to find it closer to passenger side near the floor kick panel. I need it to be always on because I will trigger the lights running the negative wire to the foot well negative side of the circuit.
Old 01-06-15, 10:27 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

since you are going for the footwell, a good place to pull a constant 12+v is on the radio... then you can pull the negative door triggers off the switch...
Old 01-06-15, 10:33 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kamlung
since you are going for the footwell, a good place to pull a constant 12+v is on the radio... then you can pull the negative door triggers off the switch...
Is the radio 12 volt positive hot all the time or is it ignition controlled ? I think it is ignition controlled
Old 01-06-15, 10:36 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrblister
Is the radio 12 volt positive hot all the time or is it ignition controlled ? I think it is ignition controlled
there are two positive feeds on the radio... one is switched to turn the radio on and off with the ignition, but there is a wire that is always on... (its for memory presets) let me find the wire diagram...
Old 01-06-15, 10:37 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

there are two positive feeds on the radio... one is switched to turn the radio on and off with the ignition, but there is a wire that is always on... (its for memory presets) let me find the wire diagram...
I would really appreciate that so I know which wire to tap.
Old 01-06-15, 10:39 AM
kamlung
Instructor

this is for a 2009... the wires may be different depending on your year... if you have a DMM you can test the harness into the radio...

Left Front Door Trigger red/yellow - Body ECU1, white 24 pin plug, pin 23
Right Front Door Trigger red/yellow - Body ECU1, white 24 pin plug, pin 24
Left Rear Door Trigger pink/black - Body ECU1, white 24 pin plug, pin 11
Right Rear Door Trigger pink/blue - Body ECU1, white 24 pin plug, pin 12
Dome Supervision white - dash fuse box, white 20 pin plug, pin 8

1 The Body ECU is under the driver dash, attached to the rear right side of the dash fuse box.

Audio/Video Entertainment
Radio 12V blue/yellow + radio, white 20 pin plug, pin 1
Radio Ground brown - radio, white 20 pin plug, pin 20
Radio Ignition gray + radio, white 20 pin plug, pin 11
Radio Illumination green (parking lights), white/green (dimmer) +,- radio, white 20 pin plug, pins 2 and 12
Old 01-06-15, 10:44 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

this is for a 2009... the wires may be different depending on your year... if you have a DMM you can test the harness into the radio...

Left Front Door Trigger red/yellow - Body ECU1, white 24 pin plug, pin 23
Right Front Door Trigger red/yellow - Body ECU1, white 24 pin plug, pin 24
Left Rear Door Trigger pink/black - Body ECU1, white 24 pin plug, pin 11
Right Rear Door Trigger pink/blue - Body ECU1, white 24 pin plug, pin 12
Dome Supervision white - dash fuse box, white 20 pin plug, pin 8

1 The Body ECU is under the driver dash, attached to the rear right side of the dash fuse box.

Audio/Video Entertainment
Radio 12V blue/yellow + radio, white 20 pin plug, pin 1
Radio Ground brown - radio, white 20 pin plug, pin 20
Radio Ignition gray + radio, white 20 pin plug, pin 11
Radio Illumination green (parking lights), white/green (dimmer) +,- radio, white 20 pin plug, pins 2 and 12

Many thanks that will do very nicely
Old 01-06-15, 10:48 AM
kamlung
Instructor

if you want to get fancy, you can use the negative trigger for the driver vs passenger side to turn on the LEDs... I did this in my MR2 Spyder so that when the passenger door is opened, only those footwell turns on... driver side turns on both sides...

if you don't care about sides, you can also use the dome as your trigger... that's why I included those wires...
Old 01-06-15, 11:00 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

if you want to get fancy, you can use the negative trigger for the driver vs passenger side to turn on the LEDs... I did this in my MR2 Spyder so that when the passenger door is opened, only those footwell turns on... driver side turns on both sides...

if you don't care about sides, you can also use the dome as your trigger... that's why I included those wires...
I think I will use the dome as the trigger [ So I just need to use the ground side of the dome and use the positive side of the radio on all the time ] Then I can wire the led strip on drivers side so when I open any door the led will be trigger on for both driver and passenger .Then what ever the dome light does the same will hold true for the pass and drivers side led I am installing dimming will work and remote open will also trigger them on as well as lock will trigger them on and then lock again will trigger them off

Thanks for your help