GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 06:01 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

As part of the campaign, the dealer would take a photo of the dash & any cracks, and send it off to Lexus Corporate for approval.

So unless you've got cracks, or sticky patches on the dash, chances are low that they'll approve the replacement. So far as any future cracks? I highly doubt they'll pick it up. It's remarkable that they did this - any other car maker would have said "Sorry, no." to the owners of a 10+ year old vehicle.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
cphang (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 03:17 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiki357
I brought in my 2011 Lexus, IS 250 Sport to the dealership to replace the airbags before the warranty replacement expired on November 23, 2017. During the visit I asked the Service Consultant if there had been any problems with the dash melting as well as the side panels becoming super sticky. The Consultant indeed recalled problems of the same nature with a recall for the problem, but stated it only covered the period 2004 - 2009 as in your previous discussion topic. He suggested I contact Lexus Corporate which first provided me with a Corporate Consultant who only provided negative responses to almost everything I asked her. Finally I requested to file a claim for the dashboard issue to which she stated I needed to have the vehicle inspected, photographed and certified through a Lexus dealer. I stated that was fine and she did everything but state, "Don't Hold Your Breath."

Today is the 26th and with the vehicle still at the Lexus Dealership, I received a call from Lexus Corporate restating that despite the photos of the dash melting; despite my vehicle being garaged daily; despite having super low mileage of 42k and always maintained to the hilt, the vehicle did not fall under the recall warranty, nor could they do anything. Even after informing them that this is my 5th Lexus and that the problem is not normal, they suggested I purchase the 70's and 80's rug carpet dash covers. What a solution?

Even after almost demanding an address to correspond ans well as a name, they reluctantly provided it stating a Mr. Jeff Bracket is in charge. My question is has anyone else been through this situation with a vehicle 2010 or newer and what did you do, and who did you call? The Lexus Corporate Consultant did not appear phased if I contacted an attorney, called or wrote whomever. I am at a loss for more than words.
I got my GX dash replaced (took over a year) but dealt with Lexus Corporate today and got the same answers. The woman couldn't have cared less, she had a rehearsed response to everything. I was livid by the time I got off the phone with her. Lexus Corporate has some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It's made me completely question how much longer I will be a Lexus owner after how I was treated today.
Old 12-14-17, 03:55 AM
GreeneNC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a ‘03 GX. The seller mentioned receiving a letter for the Dash recall. The dash has A LOT of cracks. When I was just at Lexus Dealership last week the Rep that helped me said that it was not still covered under recall. Do you guys think if I was able to get the letter from the seller I might have a chance of them replacing?
Old 12-14-17, 05:33 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

When the letter went out it was a notice that the recall was in force. Then here was another letter advising you to take the truck in to the dealer for inspection and they would order the dash. I would contact the former owner and ask for the letter if he never took the truck in to order he part you may have a problem there was a time limit on the recall excepting if the part was not available and you were on the list . The former owner is the key here did he tgake it in to dealer and get on the list

Originally Posted by GreeneNC
I just purchased a ‘03 GX. The seller mentioned receiving a letter for the Dash recall. The dash has A LOT of cracks. When I was just at Lexus Dealership last week the Rep that helped me said that it was not still covered under recall. Do you guys think if I was able to get the letter from the seller I might have a chance of them replacing?
Old 12-16-17, 07:50 PM
jonesmw10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cphang
I just bought an 08 GX. I understand the 08 GX is part of the cracked dash recall. However, I'm only seeing people with < 07 GX470's reporting cracked dashes. I do not have a cracked dash but would Lexus cover a replacement dash even if I do not have a cracked dash? I don't want my dash to start cracking months or years down the road.
Mine is an 08 and not cracked, but it looks melted. The Lexus dealer and not corporate agreed to replace mine. Mine didn't show as covered
Old 12-18-17, 07:04 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GreeneNC
ya, it’s long since expired. My 03 had no cracks but would get a whitish film over it if left in the sun for a few minutes. Bell Lexus of North Scottsdale replaced mine without a single issue, but this was during the time before it expired.
Old 12-19-17, 09:14 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I got my dash replaced by the dealer, which I will never go to again by choice and by police orders! LOL However, they did not inspect or say anything about my wood trim having hairline cracks in it, anyone have just the wood replaced lately? Im in a huge fight with lexus, no way I am going to lose!
Old 12-19-17, 11:56 PM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I got my dash replaced by the dealer, which I will never go to again by choice and by police orders! LOL However, they did not inspect or say anything about my wood trim having hairline cracks in it, anyone have just the wood replaced lately? Im in a huge fight with lexus, no way I am going to lose!
As far as I know, there's no warranty enhancement for the wood trim. The only way I see them replacing it is if you paid for it.
Old 12-20-17, 05:25 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
When I had my dash replaced they told me there was a enhancement for the wood trim in the doors that developed hair line cracks. I will look and see if I can find the letter. Mine had some very fine cracks but I was ok with it I just wanted my dash replaced
Old 12-20-17, 10:20 AM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
When I had my dash replaced they told me there was a enhancement for the wood trim in the doors that developed hair line cracks. I will look and see if I can find the letter. Mine had some very fine cracks but I was ok with it I just wanted my dash replaced
Interesting. If you find it, please update the thread - my door trim has cracks.
Old 12-21-17, 05:26 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I read the warranty enhancement papers. I then checked my notes I keep on my car. The service manager when he looked at my car he saw the hair line cracks in the wood panel and told me he could order new ones that they were part of the recall even though it was not written down he had knowledge of a TSB ref the wood .I told him it was not bothersome to me but the dash was priority 1
Old 03-14-19, 04:26 AM
Billyrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this to late?

I had no idea of this recall just purchasing a 2007 rx 350 with cracks in the dashboard all over just thinking it was from sunlight but this is a relevant issue. This is very unsettling.
Old 03-15-19, 10:17 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Billyrx350
I had no idea of this recall just purchasing a 2007 rx 350 with cracks in the dashboard all over just thinking it was from sunlight but this is a relevant issue. This is very unsettling.
The recall being discussed is for GX470's, I have no idea if the RX's were also affected.
Old 03-16-19, 07:12 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Billyrx350,

I bought my 05 330 in May of 2012. It came from CA and had some minor cracking. I received a recall notice a couple of years later, took the car to the dealer and they ordered the dash. Took another 10-14 months for it to arrive and got it replaced for free under the recall letter/notice in 2014-2015.

Ask if the prior owner has received a recall letter. Or just get a dash cover.

Good luck sir
Old 03-18-19, 10:42 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Does anyone with a dash cover know how the cover would affect the passenger airbag?

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!