GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 09:15 AM
ljerryd
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

(Dallasguy1: "I'm in Dallas TX if that helps Park Place Grapevine.")

Thanks Dallasguy1, Park Place is my closest dealer. I don't mind waiting if it finally pays off. My concern is having the dealer tear the dash apart to install and introduce a new problem. Maybe it's less of an ordeal than I imagine, but I'm guessing quite a bit has to be removed to install. No issues afterwards from any who have had it done?
Old 12-23-16, 04:12 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ljerryd
(Dallasguy1: "I'm in Dallas TX if that helps Park Place Grapevine.")

Thanks Dallasguy1, Park Place is my closest dealer. I don't mind waiting if it finally pays off. My concern is having the dealer tear the dash apart to install and introduce a new problem. Maybe it's less of an ordeal than I imagine, but I'm guessing quite a bit has to be removed to install. No issues afterwards from any who have had it done?
They'll do a check list before taking the car to note down what is wrong broken not working. I had some black stains on the pillars otherwise it all went well. I could have taken in for a detail but I wiped it and it came out easily so no issues specially Lexus showing courtesy fixing 9 years old car. Try going to Bmw dealer and see lol.
Old 01-05-17, 05:46 AM
tony400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked dash

Happy New Year All!!,
I received a letter for the cracked dash on my 06 GX470 back in 2015. Went to two dealership-Grapevine & Fort Worth to put me on the list the same year. Today in 2017, I'm still driving with a cracked dash. I'm considering writing a formal complaint to corporate expressing dissatisfaction.
Any suggestion is appreciated.
Old 01-05-17, 06:11 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by tony400
Happy New Year All!!,
I received a letter for the cracked dash on my 06 GX470 back in 2015. Went to two dealership-Grapevine & Fort Worth to put me on the list the same year. Today in 2017, I'm still driving with a cracked dash. I'm considering writing a formal complaint to corporate expressing dissatisfaction.
Try to call Grapevine customer service and see what's the latest on your car , I don't think Lexus corporate will do much since it's a courtesy enhancement and not a safety recall or anything serious. I got mine after 4-5 months after making appointment. I have a feeling your name is not on the list otherwise it doesn't take that long. Like I mentioned earlier i also got a call from other Lexus dealer for the dashboard, but i told them thanks.
Old 01-09-17, 06:31 AM
nhighum
Driver School Candidate

Default Been on list since Oct 2015

I call Lexus of Austin ever couple of months and they confirm i am on the list but that it will probably be 6 to 9 months before they get to me. Said they only get in a few dashes a month and the list is long. They are very pokite but I feel like I am getting put off.

Anyone else in Austin had their dash replaced?

Originally Posted by tony400
Happy New Year All!!,
Old 01-09-17, 07:22 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

I had mine done there a few months ago. You might also try checking with Lexus of Lakeway.

Chip H.
Old 01-09-17, 11:59 AM
Rockbus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nhighum
I call Lexus of Austin ever couple of months and they confirm i am on the list but that it will probably be 6 to 9 months before they get to me. Said they only get in a few dashes a month and the list is long. They are very pokite but I feel like I am getting put off.

Anyone else in Austin had their dash replaced?
I went in for the inspection 11-21-2015 -- They told me the same story in Carlsbad. Nov 2016 I called and was 5th in line. Dec 2016 I was 3rd in line. Have not called in 2017 yet, tho the car is going in for the Side Curtain Airbag recall end of January, so I'll ask then.

If the progression is extrapolatable (is thiat a real word?), I should get my dash replaced in Feb 2017 - 1 yr and 2 months after I first brought my car in for inspection.

Don't hold you breath. I suspect Toyota/Lexus is sandbagging, and betting you'll sell your car, trade it in or total it, before they have to spend money on the recall.

Ray

PS For comparison, I received the safety recall for the side curtain airbag last week. Called in today and scheduled a replacement for the 23rd of this month. Too bad the Dash was not considered a safety related issue.
Old 01-09-17, 12:22 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

The problem is they're also replacing cracked dashes on all those Camrys and RXes. So given the relative sales numbers, it's unfortunately not surprising that the GX is last in line. All you can do is get on the list and stay in touch with them.

Chip H.
Old 04-19-17, 01:08 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
The problem is they're also replacing cracked dashes on all those Camrys and RXes. So given the relative sales numbers, it's unfortunately not surprising that the GX is last in line. All you can do is get on the list and stay in touch with them.

Chip H.
Original OP here. Oddly, my gx got replaced fairly quickly after getting on the list (8 months), but my wife's rx is still waiting. I apologized to the girl when I called checking on the status, and she said no worries, that they only receive so many at a time, and the fact that there are so few gxs on the road compared to rxs, the gx got fixed quicker. Her rx is still pending...
​​​​​​
Old 04-20-17, 12:36 PM
Rockbus
Driver School Candidate

Latest update.

Carlsbad Lexus called me last week of March to setup the dash replacement service. April 3rd dropped the car off in the AM, got a loaner car. Around 1300 my car was finished. Picked it up after work and life is good. Too bad it took so long. It seems like the dealers are at the mercy of the distribution system. So I really cant rag on them.

I'm happy the dash was replaced with no cost to me. I'm just not happy it too so long.

Ray
Old 04-20-17, 02:01 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Yep. Totally not the dealer's fault - there's only so many replacements being made.

Chip H.
Old 04-20-17, 09:27 PM
LewisLou
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Called Westside Lexus in Houston Feb. 2016. Finally got a call from them and the dash board replaced four weeks ago.
Old 07-03-17, 12:27 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
going to bump this one up. Our otherwise flawless 04 now has a 18" crack across dash above the speed cluster. While I did receive a letter a while back, I figured I had one of the 'good' ones as there was no apparent crack-until yesterday. Our GX is always garaged, under 92k miles, seldom driven (we have a lot of cars). As the warranty expired May 31st, curious if anyone had any luck outside of this period regarding Lexus honoring a replacement? Thanks
How long you had the truck for, your only argument could be that I never got any letter even though I have had it forever and you read it online recently that Lexus is replacing the dash under enhancement program. I have a 07 with 95k Miles and dash was cracked all over the place before being replacement few months ago.
Old 07-15-17, 09:10 AM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm the 4th owner of a 2003 Lexus GX470 that I just got in 1Q2017. I went to Cerritos Lexus to replace my battery and I didn't like their service with regards to the dashboard. I had to talk to the service manager because they were giving me the run-around. The service guy was just telling me that he would call me when a dashboard came in, but never put it in their system and no indication on the invoice that a dashboard was cracked.

I then went to Longo Lexus to do a special $40 AAA Summer Pre-Trip Service that included oil and filter change, tire rotation, and a 40 point inspection. I was very happy with their service. Longo checked the dashboard and confirmed it was cracked. They told me it could take a while (up to 12 months) to get a replacement. I got a call on July 7 that my dashboard was in and got it replaced on July 11, 2017. They did a great job replacing it and aligning all the wood trim to make it look like a professional install.

I don't get much service done at the dealer unless they have a special on oil changes or I need warranty work (which doesn't happen much). Anyways, it's clear that there's inconsistencies across the Lexus dealers in how they address customer's needs.
Old 07-27-17, 09:55 AM
robingb
Driver School Candidate

i bought my GX470 a few months ago with a few dash cracks. since bringing it to the desert and its 110 temp, dash seems to be exploding. contacted lexus corporate and only alternative they had was to spend $2000. bummer! i guess i will buy one of those ugly dash mats. any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!