GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

new GX owner here, coming from a 4runner, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 10:45 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new GX owner here, coming from a 4runner, have a few questions

so the GX is relatively a new platform for me, i have worked on several 4th gen 4runners -1 v8, but the GX is new to me. that being said i am very pleased with it, especially coming from a 3rd gen 4runner(not much in the way of amenities). here is a link to my 3rd gen build - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html . anyhow i got some questions about things i have noticed... one is the dash lights, i have noticed that on the "MPH" side of the gauge cluster under like 30-40mph the dash lights are dimmer than the rest of the dash, also the transmission gear indicator tree in the dash is not illuminated as brightly as the rest of the dash. -the specific current selection is however illuminated to the same level as the rest of the dash. is this normal? it seams to be more prevalent or noticeable during the day time.

i also have an electrical drain someplace -i think the windshield leaks, have noticed a drip coming down the drivers a-pillar and dripping onto the window switches. sometimes all the windows will work from the master switch, sometimes one wont. i pulled the headliner and a-pillar trim as well as exterior trim around the windshield and had the wife hose down the truck while i looked for a leak, couldnt exactly pin point it but its either the windshield or the sun/moon-roof (drains are working fine -sunroof has also been replaced as has the windshield, and the sunroof has some issues).

one other thing i have noticed is the "home link" is not working as it should. i have tried programing it both ways according to the owners manual, with no luck... any suggestions? and where would i get a second key? ours only came with one.

anyhow other than that i love this rig so far. i picked up a 2004 w/130k mi on it. silver pine metallic, with dark leather, and 3rd row. no nav or KDSS so basically everything i wanted other than the 05 and blue ash mica, but having no nav or KDSS is more than worth losing the 35 hp and having my second favorite color. so far i have ditched the srock wheels and tires for my old 4runner wheels -tundra/sequoia 17" limited(hyper-silver) w/285 70 17 nitto terra grapplers, yes they fit.

Last edited by GreatHim; 12-28-14 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-28-14, 01:39 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Congrats and welcome. I'm fairly new here as well, and have learned so much reading the archived pages.

I just ran out to my GX to look at the dash. The illumination throughout the dash is very even. Upon very close examination, I do notice a slight more brightness towards the top of the speedometer gauge as compared to the lower edge of the circle. The gear selection tree is very evenly illuminated.

Is your garage door opener the rolling code type? I tried programming with my remote next to the Homelink to no avail. Come to find out, I have the rolling type and was successful with programming after pressing the Learn button on the motor. Not sure if that helped at all.

Post up some pics if you can, especially with the new wheels.
Old 12-28-14, 04:53 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

the only picture i have of it at this point is this one, taken with my cell phone friday up in the snow.
2014-12-26_08-23-47 by isaacyocum, on Flickr

i have been looking through the old threads. trying to learn as much as i can. i have tried both ways to link the garage door, nothing.

do you know of any threads on key programming? im gonna get a couple blank keys and hopefully program them myself. i have heard and read that it can be done without the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails new GX owner here, coming from a 4runner, have a few questions-img_20141226_155044785_hdr.jpg  
Old 12-28-14, 06:11 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, nice photo!

I'd love to see some photos showing the Tundra wheels (side view). Any rubbing with those tires?

The Homelink thing can be tricky. I think one key is to make sure you follow the directions explicitly, by doing the part where you hold the remote next to the homelink unit first, followed by using the learn button on the garage door opener. I seem to recall hearing something once about some garage door openers can only pair with a certain number of vehicles at a time. Can't recall the details, but if you continue to have problems you might look into that. Might involve clearing the memory on the opener and re-programming the current remotes.

Sounds like you've got some projects ahead. Be sure and share what you learn.
Old 12-28-14, 06:37 PM
NTH
Instructor

That's a fantastic pic of the GX in the wilderness.
Regarding the Homelink, did you first clear all the previous memories prior to programming?
Old 12-28-14, 07:35 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

yes i cleared the memory i also tired to program the second and third buttons as well... i rear, and reread the instructions, tried both types of programming both rolling code and static code... im sure im just not doing it right, but its frustrating lol.

so has anyone taken the dash out? i have the "AC" and "Dual" lights out, the indicator light to show it is selected is working but the illuminating for the switch itself is out... how do i get that switch out to replace the bulb?

also anyone do a 12v all/anytime mod? basically giving the 12v outlets power all the time regardless of if the truck is running or parked. i did this to my 4runner and loved it, it was so handy to just plug in a cell phone and leave it charge while camping or what have you.

future plans for this include hidden winch behind the factory front bumper(plenty of room), MetalTech sliders, ARB rear locker, on board air via ARB dual compressor, aluminum skid plates, and a slight lift(after the air suspension craps out) but most of these things will have to wait. i want to get the maint up to date (its at 130k and no timing belt yet), and take care of a few cosmetic issues(missing a couple interior trim covers and a couple of the courtesy lights are lose.

my basic idea for this will be a daily driver, that will be refined and sophisticated(unlike me) but yet very capable and be a sleeper off road. i want people to give me funny looks when im out in the woods and in places 99% of lexus owners would not take their vehicle. yet i still want it to look right at home at the ballet and orchestra. this will be the vehicle that my wife will drive in bad weather and i will take my 4runner for a couple of days until the weather clears.
Old 12-28-14, 08:03 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

i took a couple more pictures tonight of it...

IMG_9310 by isaacyocum, on Flickr

IMG_9307 by isaacyocum, on Flickr

IMG_9299 by isaacyocum, on Flickr

and then this are some more i took with my real camera on friday when i was out in the back country around Mt Hood.

IMG_9284 by isaacyocum, on Flickr

IMG_9283 by isaacyocum, on Flickr

IMG_9280 by isaacyocum, on Flickr

IMG_9277 by isaacyocum, on Flickr

IMG_9281 by isaacyocum, on Flickr
Old 12-29-14, 06:17 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The Homelink data spec was changed around 2006-7 timeframe. So cars made before then will work with openers made before then, and cars made after will work with openers made after, but "crossing the streams" won't work.

There's an adapter you can buy that I think (haven't tested it personally) will work:

https://secure.homelink.com/shop/products

Chip H.
Old 12-29-14, 07:25 AM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Last week I easily paired my '09 GX with a rolling code opener made 20 years ago, so I'm not so sure about that theory.
Old 12-29-14, 07:40 AM
NTH
Instructor

Same here. My 07 paired with an older opener no problema!
Old 12-29-14, 07:41 AM
NTH
Instructor

Oh BTW, awesome pics! No rubbing with 285/70-17?
Old 12-29-14, 10:13 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Nope no rubbing issues except backing up at full lock
Old 12-29-14, 12:07 PM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think chiph9 may be on to something. You can buy a Homelink "repeater" kit to maintain compatibility with openers made after 2011. I just bought a new garage door opener (Chamberlain) and it will not pair with my '05 GX Homelink.

https://secure.homelink.com/homelink...ter-kit-detail
Old 12-29-14, 01:18 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

my 09 paired with an opener from 1989
Old 12-29-14, 02:40 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

Well paring an older garage door with a newer vehicle seams possible, a newer garage door with a older vehicle however may not work...

Quick Reply: new GX owner here, coming from a 4runner, have a few questions