GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 11:06 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 06 has 110k on it and showing no signs of weakness. We got it in 09 with only 35k, so we will likely keep it for another 5 years. If we need a bigger people carrier, we'll be trading up my 08 Tundra CrewMax for a Sequoia... :/

We also had the 90k service done at the dealer, which my wife's father kindly paid for...after the timing belt, water pump and a half frozen brake caliper it came out to around $1400...glad I didn't have to pay for it

As for a first car, in 3 years I'd say go for it. My wife's first car was a '99 T4R Limited that she got in 04 and we kept that until Spring of 13 with 195k on it at that point and it was still in really good shape, despite transporting our two Great Danes around in it for several years and it seeing all the ups and downs of random weather in Omaha.
Old 10-28-14, 08:39 AM
TWillz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my '08 with about 94,000 on it back in May and have 103,000 on it now. I'm planning on keeping for at least another 100,000 miles if not more. My last truck was an '02 4runner that I bought new and drove for 12 years and close to 200,000 miles. It was still running like a champ when I sold it, and I'm guessing the 470 will last just as long - if not longer.
Old 10-29-14, 07:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I've had my GX since I bought it new in 2005. It has been treated gently through its 9 1/2 years of use and has never had any off-road use or pulled a trailer. It only has about 45,000 miles on it, and it looks and runs like new. With doing very little stop-and-go driving and with my somewhat conservative driving style, I consistently get about 20 mpg. I have no idea how long I'll be keeping it, but, in a couple of weeks, I'll be replacing the tires, and, thus, I'm likely to keep it at least long enough to get my money's worth out of the tire purchase.
Old 10-29-14, 02:34 PM
coloboardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my prior vehicle, a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and having it run without major hiccup for 9 years and 186k miles, I plan to drive my new-to-me 04' GX with 70k miles until around the 200k mark. If a Jeep lasted that long with normal maintenance, the GX/Toyota should last even longer...
Old 10-29-14, 04:19 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We bought our '08 new about six years ago and it's got 58k mi on it now. It's been great from the beginning and knowing its history from day one is reassuring (reliability, servicing, never upside down in a ditch, etc).

I plan on keeping it for as long as my wife remains happy with it! Fortunately, she really likes it and isn't a car person. Unfortunately, I suspect we'll grow weary of it long before it grows weary of us. Here's hoping it'll be at least another five + years.
Old 10-29-14, 05:48 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I've had my GX since I bought it new in 2005. It has been treated gently through its 9 1/2 years of use and has never had any off-road use or pulled a trailer. It only has about 45,000 miles on it, and it looks and runs like new. With doing very little stop-and-go driving and with my somewhat conservative driving style, I consistently get about 20 mpg. I have no idea how long I'll be keeping it, but, in a couple of weeks, I'll be replacing the tires, and, thus, I'm likely to keep it at least long enough to get my money's worth out of the tire purchase.
Les, just curious if you still have original timing belt and drive belt still on it?
Old 10-29-14, 06:28 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by burny
Les, just curious if you still have original timing belt and drive belt still on it?
At the moment, I still do, but my plans are to have them replaced probably next spring or summer when I should be around 50,000 miles and 10 years.
Old 10-30-14, 05:13 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

cool, I really don't think time is an issue with these belts as much as mileage is.
Old 10-30-14, 06:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by burny
cool, I really don't think time is an issue with these belts as much as mileage is.
The guys at the Toyota dealer (where I pay about 1/2 for service of what the Lexus dealer charges) have been pretty honest in telling me what really needs to be done and what can be delayed. They have told me that, with the timing belt, my risk right now should be pretty minimal, but they have suggested that, after about 10 years, I should start to think about having it done.
Old 11-04-14, 05:09 AM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2004 bought new.
Currently have 334,000, and it keeps on ticking along.
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (06-17-19)
Old 11-04-14, 10:21 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow 334k what a champ!
Old 11-04-14, 04:36 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by Randy20g
2004 bought new.
Currently have 334,000, and it keeps on ticking along.

Wow,can you share what kind of repairs you have put into it? What kind of oil do you use and how often do you change it? Is that the highest mileage on this site so far?
Old 11-10-14, 08:05 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

my 2003 is about to turn 136k. It seems to be just as reliable as the '97 4Runner I sold for it.
Old 11-11-14, 06:45 AM
Randy20g
Driver

Originally Posted by Wronglane
Wow,can you share what kind of repairs you have put into it? What kind of oil do you use and how often do you change it? Is that the highest mileage on this site so far?
Ok guys...here we go with the history...

Oil has been Pennzoil Ultra with the original (better) Toyota filters (90915-20004) every 5k or so

Repairs:
backup cam failure (TSB) - replaced under warranty
ML amp failure (kids & liquid) replaced under warranty
rear air suspension compressor failure - replaced under warranty

Radiator leak at 110k - replaced with new oem radiator myself

driveshaft thump at 140k - replaced with new oem part myself (covered 75% by Lexus cust service)

drivers seat seatbelt latch with airbag sensor/harness. (caused srs light) - replaced with new oem part myself. (inexpensive part)

Front left wheel bearing failure at 190k - replaced bearing/hub assembly with new oem parts pre-assembled by Toyota tech in VA. myself (he was selling assemblies on Ebay) NO other failures to date. Note: this tech was using oem parts from his parts department. (not mix/match doorman/koyo) The hub, bearing and seals are all oem.

rear shocks at 250k+ - replaced with new oem parts myself

Cylinder #8 ignition coil failure at 270k - replaced with 1 new oem coil. Other 7 are still fine.

Transmission cooler lines under radiator - 290k - Lines corroded (probably from rad leak) over time. Finally started leaking WS atf. Replaced lines with new oem part, replaced WS fluid twice in transmission to insure new fluid. Used Techstream to ensure proper level.

front shocks at 300k+ - replaced with new oem parts myself

Front blower motor for HVAC at 310k - replaced with autozone part (not balanced and caused noise) - replaced again with new oem part myself. (noise gone) autozone=cheap chinese motor)

rear suspension airbags, lines and reservoir at 320k - replaced with new oem parts myself. (truck was like a bounce house before repair. System leaking down after shutdown).

I have replaced the entire exhaust system after both manifolds. Cross pipe, passenger cat pipe, muffler. Leak in the passenger side pipe and union caused inefficient cat code. Muffler developed rust hole. Gathered all parts, did entire system in 1 shot.

Brakes - I wont bore everyone with this. We all know about the crummy calipers and I am no exception to that. I have been through 3 front calipers on both sides. They are from advance auto and have a lifetime warranty so I don't care if they seize again. I keep 1 set on hand to swap out in case they are seized during a brake job. I then take the bad ones back to advance, get new, and on the shelf they go, ready for the next failure. OEM calipers are no better, as the advance ones are simply oem units that are rebuilt. I live in the North East so I expect it.
Rears have had 1 rotor change on each side, and several pad changes. NO parking brake shoes replaced yet.

Lastly....I have replaced all 4 o2 sensors over the last 100k. 1 sensor caused a ck eng light. The others were replaced when doing the exhaust mentioned above.

That covers the repairs....

As for other replacements....

I have a good set of hyper wheels for the summer and the original peeling silver wheels with snows for the winter.
HID xenon depot since new
I keep a stock of green bulbs as they seem to love to burn out from time to time in various switches. (seat heater especially)
replaced a few parts for appearance. Front grille, left front door armrest, mats,

Most parts were purchased from either local dealer at a 28% discount or from Conicelli Toyota in PA at a 25% discount plus 10% off with their Facebook coupon.

Whew...I believe that;s it....If I forgot anything, I'll update it...
Old 11-11-14, 07:46 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That is truly amazing sir! The fact that those repairs are all bolt on parts and not needing to take apart the engine nor tranny is just astounding! Not to mention that most of it are really part of maintenance. Lexus/Toyota is truly amazing.

Quick Reply: Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep