GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Navigation/ Mark Levinson Audio Package

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 06:45 AM
GXMeister
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Navigation/ Mark Levinson Audio Package

I am new to this forum, but a long time Land Cruiser owner. I actually drive my FJ62 in the summer months. However, it's time to get something for the winter.

Been lurking here for a while and confident on what to look for when purchasing a 2005 or newer GX 470, EXCEPT whether to buy with or without navigation.

Cost of $3050 in 2005.
Navigation/ ML Audio package was a common, albeit spending package at $3050. In 2005, the package included the Lexus Navigation System ML ( 14 speakers ), back-up camera, steering wheel voice command button and CD changer in the glove box.

The Navigation system is not all that important to me. I rarely need to know where I am going when driving locally. However, I have read a lot of good stuff about the ML stereo system versus the base Lexus audio system. Navigation systems add an additional element to maintenance uncertainty when you're dealing with +8 year old cars. That's why I was thinking about finding an GX w/o the Nav/ML system.

Those of you with either, can I get some feedback and is there something else I am missing when giving this consideration?
Old 09-19-14, 07:13 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The ML system is very good for a factory system. You can install aftermarket that will be better, but you'll be in the $3000 range to do so (parts cost alone!).

There's no doubt that if/when the nav system breaks, it's expensive to repair. So far mine has been reliable.

If you're looking at two comparable GXs, one with the Nav + ML and one without, I would go with the Nav one.

Chip H.
Old 09-19-14, 08:24 AM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned both.

My 2005 had the standard stereo with no NAV.

My 2009 has the ML Stereo with NAV.

When I bought the 2005, I specifically looked for one without NAV, because I didn't want the added $3K expense and the potential for expensive repairs. I found the standard stereo to be very good. I also liked the ability to change a CD on the fly if I needed to.

I have had my 2009 for about 4 months now. When I was looking, I only found a couple GX's that didn't have NAV, as they are pretty rare. This time I wanted the NAV, just to get the backup camera. That makes it so much easier to hook up my trailer. I have never used the NAV yet. Personally, I find it really annoying to have to use the touch screen to adjust the climate control, or change radio stations. I much preferred using the mechanical switches in the 2005. As for the ML stereo, I am not all that impressed. I don't think it sounds that much better than the stock stereo, which had really good sound. In fact I have to turn up the volume on the ML system much higher to get good sound quality out of it. It does benefit from having more speakers though.

Having NAV may help a little bit when you go to sell it too. It seems to be one of those options that certain people get all excited about and they get turned off when you tell them it doesn't have it. I was still able to sell my GX for a good price in less than a month, because it was in great shape.

So, it really boils down to personal preference. Buy what YOU like.
Old 09-19-14, 09:31 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I personally think the Mark Levinson sound system is pretty much junk for the price paid. I have it in both the GX and LS.

Mark Levinson is some of the most high end HOME audio equipment money can buy, but both cars have had issues with the cheap speakers coming apart. My sub in the LS is torn and replacements are incredibly over priced. I'm also just not that impressed with the sound quality, even when new.

I just rented a Mustang while on vacation, and I honestly thought it had a better sound system than a $60k Lexus with an upgraded $3,000 Mark Levinson system.

I NEVER use the GPS navigation, a disposable cell phone has a better mapping system. 10 years ago when these cars came out, it was a nice feature, but now it's dated. The backup camera is nice though, but I would have preferred backup sensors.

If you can find a model that has a substantial discount because it doesn't have the ML package, I would jump on it, but I feel like usually the condition of the car and miles is usually more important to the price.
Old 09-19-14, 10:41 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Skip the navigation IMO, my GX is an '04, so the nav system is 10 years old, and feels every bit that old even with newer maps on it.
Old 09-19-14, 11:56 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my 06 with the ML nav system in it, even though its outdated, its better than the option without, the generic system just looks cheap IMO.
Old 09-19-14, 04:03 PM
GXMeister
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 470SNC
I bought my 06 with the ML nav system in it, even though its outdated, its better than the option without, the generic system just looks cheap IMO.
Thanks for all the comments everybody. My old ears won't hear much difference between the ML and stock radio.... coming out of an FJ62. Not to mention, beauty is in the eye of the beholder..... as I honestly prefer the looks of the dash w/o the NAV screen that seems to be a trap for dust.. IMHO.
Old 09-19-14, 04:14 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got back from a wheeling trip in Sedona, and barely any dust was on the screen, one quick wipe and I was done
Old 09-19-14, 07:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

In the last dozen or 6 years, I've bought 5 new vehicles. Four of them had navigation systems, and one didn't. After driving the one without a navigation system for a very brief time, I wished that I had gotten a navigation system on that vehicle. While the quality of the directions from the navigation app on my phone is often better than what the GX navigation system gives, there is something nice about having the screen right there in a convenient place where you can easily glance at the map without having to take your eyes off of the road for more than a brief time. Even though I don't often need directions, just having the map available to refer to makes, for me, it desirable to have the navigation system.

There is no question that navigation systems on all vehicles are over-priced, and I'm confident that they are big profit generators for the manufacturers. But there is also no question that, of all possible extra-cost options, navigation systems return a higher percentage of their original cost at re-sale or trade-in time than just about any other option. Used car managers at dealerships love to take in trade-ins with navigation systems because they know that they are highly desired by used car buyers and because they know that a vehicle with a navigation system is not likely to stay in their inventories for very long. I think that it says something about how much used car buyers value navigation systems when you look at used car listings from dealerships and see that, if they have navigation systems, that is almost always the first option shown in the listing.

As far as the ML system is concerned, I think that the sound is generally good, but it is not something that I would likely have bought if it had been a stand-alone option. In 2005, though, if you wanted a navigation system you had to buy the package with the ML sound system. If memory serves me correctly, the third-row seats were also a part of the same package, and I also find them to be useless.
Old 09-19-14, 08:23 PM
GXMeister
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
In the last dozen or 6 years, I've bought 5 new vehicles. Four of them had navigation systems, and one didn't. After driving the one without a navigation system for a very brief time, I wished that I had gotten a navigation system on that vehicle. While the quality of the directions from the navigation app on my phone is often better than what the GX navigation system gives, there is something nice about having the screen right there in a convenient place where you can easily glance at the map without having to take your eyes off of the road for more than a brief time. Even though I don't often need directions, just having the map available to refer to makes, for me, it desirable to have the navigation system.

There is no question that navigation systems on all vehicles are over-priced, and I'm confident that they are big profit generators for the manufacturers. But there is also no question that, of all possible extra-cost options, navigation systems return a higher percentage of their original cost at re-sale or trade-in time than just about any other option. Used car managers at dealerships love to take in trade-ins with navigation systems because they know that they are highly desired by used car buyers and because they know that a vehicle with a navigation system is not likely to stay in their inventories for very long. I think that it says something about how much used car buyers value navigation systems when you look at used car listings from dealerships and see that, if they have navigation systems, that is almost always the first option shown in the listing.

As far as the ML system is concerned, I think that the sound is generally good, but it is not something that I would likely have bought if it had been a stand-alone option. In 2005, though, if you wanted a navigation system you had to buy the package with the ML sound system. If memory serves me correctly, the third-row seats were also a part of the same package, and I also find them to be useless.
Noted.... However, for the record, the third row seats were a separate option though. I got a hold of an 05' window sticker.

After giving this some thought, I should add, my criteria will not include future resale. I am mostly interested to know if the NAV/ML package is really useful, i.e. do people even use the Nav and is the ML sound system materially better than the base system. No doubt, when considering GX470s, they will all be at least 5-10 years old and the Nav/ ML package is loaded with electronics....which may have a higher propensity to fail... and as a few have noted, dated.

If the Nav fails.... can it be fixed to factory specs look stock without costing a fortune. I don't know the answers to these questions, but my intuition tells me I would rather have a less complicated system when purchasing a used vehicle out of warranty.

Last edited by GXMeister; 09-20-14 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-20-14, 04:30 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go without the Nav. The under-seat nav dvd player in my 04 quit working a year ago. I really didn't use it anyway. I do like the rear view camera though. The ML stereo is fine, but I don't have a standard system to compare it to.
Old 09-20-14, 05:51 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by GXMeister
Noted.... However, for the record, the third row seats were a separate option though. I got a hold of an 05' window sticker.

After giving this some thought, I should add, my criteria will not include future resale. I am mostly interested to know if the NAV/ML package is really useful, i.e. do people even use the Nav and is the ML sound system materially better than the base system. No doubt, when considering GX470s, they will all be at least 5-10 years old and the Nav/ ML package is loaded with electronics....which may have a higher propensity to fail... and as a few have noted, dated.

If the Nav fails.... can it be fixed to factory specs look stock without costing a fortune. I don't know the answers to these questions, but my intuition tells me I would rather have a less complicated system when purchasing a used vehicle out of warranty.
I have my window sticker, too, and I just checked it. You are correct. The 3rd row seat was a separate $2030 option, which included the rear seat air conditioning system. I do recall, though, that, in my area, at least, it was almost impossible to find a GX that had the navigation system/ML and that did not have the 3rd row seat.

I've had my GX since it was new in 2005. I've never had any issues with the navigation system, but there have been threads here from some who have. Like with most vehicle issues discussed on internet forums, I would guess that those discussions would give the impression that the frequency of problems with the navigation systems is much greater than it actually is.

With regard to frequency of usage, it is rare for me to actually input an address and use turn-by-turn directions, but I do regularly use the map to see what road is coming up next, how far I am from having to make my next turn, etc. As I said in my previous post, I've become, in recent years, so used to having the map right there on the dash that, when I drive a vehicle without a navigation system, I feel like something is amiss.

Last edited by lesz; 09-20-14 at 06:07 AM.