GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New GX Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 03:19 PM
coloboardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New GX Owner

Hi All,

Looks like I'm 10 years late to the party but I just picked up an 04 GX470 with 67k miles on it. Blizzard Pearl White, Tan leather interior, Rear Seat Entertainment System, Navigation System/Mark Levinson Audio, backup camera. I'm not sure all of the "options" available in 04 but this one seems to have a few. Already have it going in tomorrow for tint and planning the HID headlight upgrade.

I came from a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo that I put 186k miles on, loved it but felt like I was pushing my luck with those kind of miles. The current generation 4Runner was #1 on my wishlist, however, when I came across this GX with the low miles and under $20k price, I couldn't pass it up.

I've crammed as much reading up on these as I could and they sound very reliable with regular maintenance. I do have a few questions though:

1 - Both of my key fobs don't always unlock the vehicle, and sometimes doesn't lock either. Obvious answer is to check the batteries, just thought it was odd that they sometimes work and not always.

2 - The dealer I bought it from did the used inspection, changed the oil, and even sent it to Lexus to re-sync the TPMS. However my "Maint Required" light just came on suggesting I am due for my 5k mile oil change. How do I reset this?

3 - The DVD player is obviously old and outdated, mine is somewhat loud/annoying while spinning a disc. Has anyone upgraded their DVD player in the console?

4 - Vibration in the brakes when I'm stopping, any recommendations for front rotors & pads?

Thanks all! Everyone knows what these look like, attached is a quick photo of mine.
Attached Thumbnails New GX Owner-gx470.jpg  
Old 07-18-14, 08:27 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice color combination! Welcome to the forum.
Definitely change the batteries in the keys.

See this thread for the maintenance reminder reset.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...red-light.html
Old 07-19-14, 01:40 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome . I have the exact same color combination and options . My DVD player is in the middle consol I dont hear any noise when its playing/ Vibration could be warped rotors stuck caliper balance alignment or a combination of all 4 things . Start with the easiest
Old 07-21-14, 07:35 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Nice color combination! Welcome to the forum.
Definitely change the batteries in the keys.

See this thread for the maintenance reminder reset.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...red-light.html
Worked! Thanks

Originally Posted by mrblister
Welcome . I have the exact same color combination and options . My DVD player is in the middle consol I dont hear any noise when its playing/ Vibration could be warped rotors stuck caliper balance alignment or a combination of all 4 things . Start with the easiest
Thanks for the info, I think I might need to find a replacement DVD player. Rotors are definitely warped, I've had this issues with vehicles in the past. Just looking for a recommendation on which rotors people have found to work well on these vehicles.
Old 07-22-14, 12:08 PM
fantic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DVD player is in a bad spot if you ask me. It sits vertical so everything can fall in there. I ended up using caned air like you use to clean electronics. Looked like bread crumbs coming out of there. I'd try that first.
Old 07-22-14, 12:20 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fantic
The DVD player is in a bad spot if you ask me. It sits vertical so everything can fall in there. I ended up using caned air like you use to clean electronics. Looked like bread crumbs coming out of there. I'd try that first.

You also could try using a vacuum cleaner with a small attachment to get the debris out of there blowing them around might move them into the mechanism. Just a thought
Old 07-23-14, 05:02 PM
ST2Alpha
Driver School Candidate

Looks like a great replacement for the Jeep. I'm growing fonder and fonder of the Blizzard White paint. Congrats!

Alpha
Old 07-23-14, 11:07 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
You also could try using a vacuum cleaner with a small attachment to get the debris out of there blowing them around might move them into the mechanism. Just a thought
x2.

My 2yr old puts all types of crumbs in and around the DVD player. I use my shop vac to get it all out. I wouldn't used compressed / canned air, that will just push the stuff inside of the unit.
Old 07-24-14, 07:25 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

Originally Posted by ST2Alpha
Looks like a great replacement for the Jeep. I'm growing fonder and fonder of the Blizzard White paint. Congrats!

Alpha
Thanks! Even though it's only 2 years newer than my Jeep, it's a world of an upgrade! Definitely pleased with it so far. Now I fee like buying something to tow with it

Originally Posted by fantic
Originally Posted by RCsGX
x2.

My 2yr old puts all types of crumbs in and around the DVD player. I use my shop vac to get it all out. I wouldn't used compressed / canned air, that will just push the stuff inside of the unit.
Haha, good idea, I'll give this a shot. I have a 2 year old as well and one on the way. I found a few french fries in the back seat from the previous owner so I would assume they had kids and probably put stuff in the DVD player.

Side question, what exactly is the point of the ride height control? I changed it to the Lo setting but when driving it went right back to N. Is this more for towing or what? I'll probably never have a need to utilize it but curious why exactly it's an option.
Old 07-24-14, 08:13 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

It is for towing. When you hook up your boat/trailer/etc the hitch weight will cause the back of the SUV to sag, which points the headlights up. With the air suspension and the height sensor, the SUV returns to level, and you aren't blinding oncoming drivers any more.

Chip H.
Old 08-13-14, 10:08 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

Just wanted to provide a quick update on my first month of ownership. I really like this vehicle, it's very smooth and comfortable. Definitely like the ride style **** to be one under "sport", the "comfort" mode is way to fluffy/sloppy for me. Already did the interior, running board, license plate LED light replacements and tinted windows.

We've taken 2 trips so far, one to eastern CO down I-70 @78mph, got 21.6mpg on that trip. Second trip was last weekend to the mountains for some camping, returned 20.5mpg on that trip. Average about 16 in the city so I'm very pleased with the mpg so far.

Wasn't too sure about the side-opening rear door, when we were parked camping I noticed it was tough to keep the door open parked on a slope, it wasn't until I read the yellow sticker with instructions on the latch that you could lock it open! That was a big help! Overall I really like this vehicle, especially for being 10 years old now.
Old 08-13-14, 10:16 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coloboardi
Just wanted to provide a quick update on my first month of ownership. I really like this vehicle, it's very smooth and comfortable. Definitely like the ride style **** to be one under "sport", the "comfort" mode is way to fluffy/sloppy for me. Already did the interior, running board, license plate LED light replacements and tinted windows.

We've taken 2 trips so far, one to eastern CO down I-70 @78mph, got 21.6mpg on that trip. Second trip was last weekend to the mountains for some camping, returned 20.5mpg on that trip. Average about 16 in the city so I'm very pleased with the mpg so far.

Wasn't too sure about the side-opening rear door, when we were parked camping I noticed it was tough to keep the door open parked on a slope, it wasn't until I read the yellow sticker with instructions on the latch that you could lock it open! That was a big help! Overall I really like this vehicle, especially for being 10 years old now.
I have had my 2004 truck for a year now I love it as well.
Old 08-13-14, 11:11 AM
napstermik
Driver School Candidate

congrats on the nice purchase!
Old 08-21-14, 12:36 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I know this is bit late, but nevertheless Welcome Aboard. That's a lovely colour you've got. Hope you have resolved by now from our members who have various solutions
Old 08-21-14, 06:16 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally agreed on your assessment one month later. I'm glad to own the GX, too.

Specifically, I agree that it's pretty darn floaty on comfort and sport surprisingly tightens it up a hair (still no canyon carver regardless of your tire's psi). I admit to thinking the adjustable suspension / shock setting was hocus pocus initially.

If you calculated your mpg by hand, then kudos on achieving the near impossible! If you're relying on the trip computer instead, be aware that it's usually over-optimistic by ~10% or so.