GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 - DIY- How to solve Moon Roof Stuck Operation issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 02:39 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb GX470 - DIY- How to solve Moon Roof Stuck Operation issues

This attachment is for Gx470 - 2003-2008 models only.
Hope this helps
cheers
Mann777
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
tg9266 (07-16-21)
Old 08-20-15, 07:25 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
This attachment is for Gx470 - 2003-2008 models only.
Hope this helps
cheers
Mann777
Mine makes a popping noise about 5 times when the sunroof gets to fully open and fully closed
Do you think this will fix it?
Old 08-20-15, 11:29 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

That sounds like a limit switch not being adjusted correctly. But that's a guess, and your problem sounds like something difficult to troubleshoot over the internet (unless someone else has experienced this problem). I would take it to your mechanic.

Chip H.
Old 11-23-15, 10:51 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Mine makes a popping noise about 5 times when the sunroof gets to fully open and fully closed
Do you think this will fix it?
did you ever find a fix for this? i am having this issue with my moonroof, wont open all the way, when opened to its max travel, the glass is cocked/askew slightly, and gives about 5 clicks like you stated, same clicks when closing, and tilting occasionally
Old 11-23-15, 12:00 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Not yet so far I have washed and rained on and no leaks
So I don't use it

I asked the tint guy he told me to research on Toyota moonroof in general for this problem

I found nothing yet

But he said If you tilt the sunroof you should be able to see what is broken or misaligned comparing side by side

Pleas let me know if you have any leads
Old 11-23-15, 12:29 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

oh i can clearly see from side to side there are differences when opened. i do not have a problem with water leaking so i still use mine all the time. but i do notice that the glass is affected by wind speed in the form of vibrating from the turbulence. i had a weather tech visor but that only made things worse so i removed it. im too afraid of pulling the sunroof apart and not being able to get it working again. i guess its something i am going to have to wait until this summer to address.
Old 01-03-16, 10:35 AM
philipf22
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My roof made the exact same clicking sound. I could hear the motor really struggling. It took two complete rebuilds from the dealer to finally determine there was a frame bracket that was broken in the back of the unit behind the roof panel.

Not an easy fix in my case and quite costly.
Old 09-23-19, 04:31 AM
punklexus
Rookie

I'll order the part and try this DIY. Is there a video guide by any chance ?
Here is my issue
Old 09-23-19, 07:36 AM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by punklexus
I'll order the part and try this DIY. Is there a video guide by any chance ?
Here is my issue
https://youtu.be/3S2xkGmq8tE

Although not a GX, Check these videos out to see if they(Videos) may help you diagnose the problem:

And,

Old 09-23-19, 07:44 AM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Here is a great thread on the subject as well. May not be your situation but great info nonetheless.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...nd-solved.html
Old 03-24-20, 07:55 PM
m1poling
Driver School Candidate

My sun/moon roof is stuck just like punklexus's. So, I have few questions since I've seen different information on how to repair it. 1) Did you order and use the service repair kit or were you able to clean and lube the existing parts? (2) Were you able to get the sun roof open ~75% of the way as stated in the service bulletin using the motor? Or Is there a manual way to get the roof open? (3) The bulletin does not state you need to remove the headliner, were you able to make the repair without removing the it and just remove the few trim pieces around the sun roof as explained? (4) Any additional words of advice or lessons you can share with us? Thanks!
Old 03-24-20, 08:15 PM
punklexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by m1poling
My sun/moon roof is stuck just like punklexus's. So, I have few questions since I've seen different information on how to repair it. 1) Did you order and use the service repair kit or were you able to clean and lube the existing parts? (2) Were you able to get the sun roof open ~75% of the way as stated in the service bulletin using the motor? Or Is there a manual way to get the roof open? (3) The bulletin does not state you need to remove the headliner, were you able to make the repair without removing the it and just remove the few trim pieces around the sun roof as explained? (4) Any additional words of advice or lessons you can share with us? Thanks!
In my case, I just bought a sunroof from a dismantler and installed it. Labour is pretty expensive out here so didn't make sense. In my case, motor teeth were gone and they were not available separately, so best option was to get the entire sunroof for $650. Lesson is that, it takes almost a day of labour to get it installed . I paid a professional to do it and happy with the results.
Old 07-16-21, 09:22 AM
tg9266
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m1poling
Great questions. I'm looking for the same answers.
Old 07-28-21, 12:23 PM
m1poling
Driver School Candidate

Default GX470 Sunroof - replacement

After an extensive internet search I realized that I needed to pull the sunroof to repair or replace it (on my GX470). The service kit, if its even available, would not have solved my issue. My sunroof wouldn't slide open nor tilt, just slightly opened a cracked (an issued I found before buying it) with the tat-tat-tat sound when attempting either function. Removing the sunroof involves removing the interior trim panels from the floor up so you can remove the headliner. Once I pulled the sunroof I found that the system is operated with two independent cables that are moved by the motor in the center of the roof where the switches are. Unfortunately for me, one of the cables was completely seized up. The plastic coating had allow water in and the cable had swelled with rust and even after copious amounts of penetrating oil, no amount of force could get it to budge in the guide tube. Both cables are encased in a corrugate plastic coating which is engaged by the control motor sprocket. The tat-tat-tat that I heard was the sprocket slipping on the corrugated plastic, which I imaging will eventually wear-out. I found a salvage yard and got the complete sunroof assembly (including glass and motor) for $350, which was a good deal from what I've seen. I sprayed plenty of lube in each guide tube the encased cables run through before I installed it. To answer my own questions: 1) No to the service kit 2) there is no way to manually move the sunroof if a cable is seized 3) Headliner has to be removed for access 4) If you have the tat-tat-tat sound and you roof isn't opening you will likely need to replace the sunroof. I try to operate my sunroof regularly to avoid a cable seizing up. Good Luck!

The following users liked this post:
mScoutGear (02-02-24)