GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Icon coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 04:07 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Icon coilovers

My goal was to keep the factory plush ride but also lift the GX. Most will tell you that's hard to do but not with the CDC option that Icon offers. You can order their coilovers w/ their CDC valve, which is a remote reservoir that holds fluid and has adjustable sport / comfort setting **** just like our factory shocks have, only there's 10 settings on the Icons not 4 like our stock shocks have. The **** ranges from S (softest setting), 2, 3, 4 (stock Icon coilover settings w/o the CDC valve), 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, H (firmest setting):

The ride, all I can say is WOW, the Icons soak up bumps like they're not even there. I rode around town and on the beltway and they performed great at lower and at higher speeds. Being 2 1/2" higher it feels weird not seeing the hood slope down from the drivers seat anymore. I pulled over numerous times to change the CDC setting and here's my opinion;

S is the softest setting. It's VERY plush and literally feels like you're riding on air. I've never rode on new GX shocks but I can bet they're not as plush as this! You can't feel any bumps they just soak them right up yet you don't get that squishy / squirmy / floaty feeling what so ever. I then tried H and it was way too firm and really unpleasant. I didn't even drive 1/2 mile before I switched it to a lower setting. I'd personally never use the H setting. I then tried 6 and while it was much better than H it was still a little too firm. I took it down to 4, which if you order standard Icon coilovers without the CDC valve that's what they feel like. It was nice and firm, not too firm though and was very drivable but I want the Lexus plush ride, so I tried 2 and perfection!! It soaks up bumps just like S but it's not as soft but still VERY plush, it's like the road is made of marshmallows. The compression is nice and soft and the rebound is quick so there's no floating feeling at all.

Overall I couldn't be happier. They exceeded my expectations! I'd recommend these to any GX owner. Even If you don't want to lift your GX you can still use coilovers and adjust them lower to the factory ride height. If you don't mind a little firm ride of a ride I'd get the standard Icon coilovers but if you want that Lexus / Cadillac plush ride the CDC option is a no brainer. If you don't want to pay the upcharge of the CDC valve you can always have Icon valve the standard coilovers to be softer but I like the fact that I can change them within seconds if want a firmer ride.

To lift the rear I added 8mm washers to the bolts on the ride height sensor brackets. Before I installed the coilovers I added 4 washers (2 on each bracket bolt) and it lifted the rear 1/2". I need to swing by Ace and pick up some more washers. In total I need to lift the rear another 1" to be level with the front now.

Here are my before and after measurements. Without adjusting the coilovers I got approximately 2 1/2" of lift up front.

BEFORE

Front Drivers Side
- center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare: 19 3/16"
- ground to the bottom of the fender flare: 34 1/4"

Front Passengers Side
- center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare: 19 1/4"
- ground to the bottom of the fender flare: 34 5/16"

AFTER
Front Drivers Side
- center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare: 22"
- ground to the bottom of the fender flare: 36 11/16"

Front Passengers Side
- center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare: 22"
- ground to the bottom of the fender flare: 36 7/8"

BEFORE

AFTER

1/4" I.D. x 1/2" LONG SPACERS ADDED TO THE RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR BRACKET BOLTS TO GAIN 1". REAR IS NOW 37", SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN THE FRONT

Last edited by RCsGX; 12-20-13 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Installed....
Old 11-29-13, 06:12 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Anyone else here have a lighter wallet thanks to black Friday!?? I look at it this way, my wallet would've been heavier if it weren't for the heavy discount or at least that's how I explained it to my wife. I guess it worked because we're still on speaking terms.

I needed new shocks and I've been researching for months and finally pulled the trigger tonight thanks to a 20% off black Friday sale, I ended up saving $371.99. My goal was to lift the GX 2-2.5" but keep the smooth factory ride, that's usually hard to do when you're lifting it but I finally found the perfect solution, Icons CDC valve. It has a 10 way adjustable valve so I can make it soft or firm and really dial in the GX plush ride! I got rid of the GXs 4 way comfort / sport shocks for Icons 10 way comfort / sport coilovers.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/_...valve-upgrade/

I ended up ordered a set of Icon coilovers w/ remote reservoirs (you have to order the reservoirs in order to add the CDC valve) and I added their IVD coating. Summers I'm at the beach a lot so better to be safe than sorry.

I just got a email back and they said there's a 3 week wait time for IVD coatings since they're built to order. Hopefully I've have them before Christmas.
Sounds like a good plan . I am on plat extended warranty for 3 years so if I have a problem its on them
Old 11-29-13, 10:57 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else here have a lighter wallet thanks to black Friday!?? I look at it this way, my wallet would've been heavier if it weren't for the heavy discount or at least that's how I explained it to my wife. I guess it worked because we're still on speaking terms.

I needed new shocks and I've been researching for months and finally pulled the trigger tonight thanks to a 20% off black Friday sale, I ended up saving $371.99. My goal was to lift the GX 2-2.5" but keep the smooth factory ride, that's usually hard to do when you're lifting it but I finally found the perfect solution, Icons CDC valve. It has a 10 way adjustable valve so I can make it soft or firm and really dial in the GX plush ride! I got rid of the GXs 4 way comfort / sport shocks for Icons 10 way comfort / sport coilovers.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/_...valve-upgrade/

I ended up ordered a set of Icon coilovers w/ remote reservoirs (you have to order the reservoirs in order to add the CDC valve) and I added their IVD coating. Summers I'm at the beach a lot so better to be safe than sorry.

I just got a email back and they said there's a 3 week wait time for IVD coatings since they're built to order. Hopefully I've have them before Christmas.
Really looking forward to seeing this project come together!
Old 12-19-13, 08:10 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

The finally arrived today and I just finished installing them. Time to pop some Aleve.

Old 12-19-13, 09:09 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

The finally arrived today and I just finished installing them. Time to pop some Aleve.

Nice. have you driven it yet? looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and of course seeing pictures of the new ride height.
Old 12-20-13, 10:11 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Nice. have you driven it yet? looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and of course seeing pictures of the new ride height.
I drove it earlier this morning. I edited my first post.
Old 12-20-13, 03:57 PM
99suprduty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that came out great. Really liking the look with those rims too.....
Old 12-20-13, 07:51 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Are those the stock upper control arms?
Old 12-20-13, 08:41 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 99suprduty
Man, that came out great. Really liking the look with those rims too.....
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Are those the stock upper control arms?
Yes stock upper control arms.
Old 12-20-13, 08:57 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Very nice! How does it feel running the Icon fronts & Bilstein rears? Are you thinking about swapping the rear shocks, or do they work well together?
Old 12-20-13, 09:23 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Very nice! How does it feel running the Icon fronts & Bilstein rears?
The 5100s are by no means harsh and as of last week I was loving them once I raised the rear 1/2" but these Icons are so just so smooth at the number 2 mark they make the 5100s feel harsh and that was w/ the rear still at 1/2". These CDC valves have me spoiled. The number 2 setting is perfection! Compared to the Icons the Bilsteins weren't as soft as the number 4 setting but weren't as firm as the number 6 setting, so I guess they would be a 5 even though I never tried the 5 setting yet.

Are you thinking about swapping the rear shocks, or do they work well together?
I was thinking about buying the rear Icons but a 4th gen 4Runner owner (xreas w/ rear air suspension) has Icon coilovers and he tired almost every rear shock out there, Bilstein / Icon included, and he said he didn't feel any difference between the two so for now I'm sticking w/ the Bilsteins.
Old 12-20-13, 09:30 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

ICON should give you a set of rear shocks for free for that great review on the fronts!
I see the price is back up again. You got a good deal for sure.
Old 12-21-13, 06:54 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

ICON should give you a set of rear shocks for free for that great review on the fronts!
I agree 100%!! Just in case Icon reads this, I'll take the rear 2.5" shocks w/ the remote reservoirs (part number 57812) w/ the CDC valves and IVD coating.

I see the price is back up again. You got a good deal for sure.
You aren't lying. 20% off was a HUGE discount!
Old 03-21-14, 04:55 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviving post ... RCsGX - did you replace both front/back at the same time are were the 5100's in the rear done first? I ask because I'm curious any difference from just replacing the rear. Cost and installation seems reasonable for the rears, I could do that now (no lift) and upgrade the fronts at a later time.
Old 03-21-14, 05:37 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fluid
Reviving post ... RCsGX - did you replace both front/back at the same time are were the 5100's in the rear done first? I ask because I'm curious any difference from just replacing the rear. Cost and installation seems reasonable for the rears, I could do that now (no lift) and upgrade the fronts at a later time.
I installed the rear Bilstein 5100s first.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ein-5100s.html

Quick Reply: Icon coilovers