GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-12-14, 03:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

changing front shock absorber on GX470

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 08:05 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could easily be a wheel speed sensor (ABS sensor). Hopefully the cable itself isn't damaged but wouldn't be too hard to imagine. If you pull the code off of techstream it'll tell you what's up. I accidentally cut my front left wheel speed sensor when switching out the shocks. Had to repair it (quicker and less $ than ordering the part online) which was not bad. No issues almost 10k miles later.
Old 03-15-17, 07:43 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a guy do the installation for me. Should he have left the sensor that was on top of the old shocks attached to the wire? We disconnected that from the wire and left it on top of the old shocks after they were taken out.
Old 03-16-17, 07:49 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wire attached to the struts is for the adjustable ride .. you leave it disconnected if replacing with non-adjustable struts. That won't cause lights to come on the dash. It will cause a code in techstream saying they're disconnected but not a big deal. With the front struts you have to wire tie the wires that attached to the struts somewhere out of the way for safe keeping. With the rears it's a non-issue (rears have a wire that goes into a frame mounted plug so nothing to wire tie).

Long story short you have an issue other than adjustable ride wire. My guess is wheel speed sensor was disturbed or damaged. This can happen when the caliper is not hung up properly and stress was put on the sensor/wire.
The following users liked this post:
jasanders (03-17-17)
Old 07-26-17, 11:35 AM
Butcherpen
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Botton Stuck

Bottom

After I got all the bolts out it still wont come off. It is compressing down and the bottom mount wont come out..even with a hammer. Do I need to compress the coil spring with a tool?

Last edited by Butcherpen; 07-26-17 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-26-17, 11:52 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Butcherpen
Bottom

After I got all the bolts out it still wont come off. It is compressing down and the bottom mount wont come out..even with a hammer. Do I need to compress the coil spring with a tool?
If you use a pry bar put in one of the round holes in the control arm, then you should be able to put some weight on it, ( most of your weight.. ) to free the shock.
You may need to lightly pry the bottom of the front shock so it would pop out. Some people have the top mount stuck on the top too. It is not clear what your problem is, can you tell which part is already free? You should be able to see a gap off the top mount when you pry the control arm down.
Old 03-02-18, 02:32 PM
hochiminh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Yeah I went back out there today after letting it soak all night, it still did not want to come off =(
I got a crow bar wedged at an angle between the top plate and the mount, and got the biggest hammer I had and went to town on it ( i tried same last night but with alot less force).
well on the 5th large hit the shock just fell down, so it was just dirt and grime holding it in place which is seriously the strongest I have ever encountered.

so thanks for the suggestion guys, it turned out to be a simple problem that needed a bigger hammer, or as I call it "suspension adjustment tool"
Man, I'm having the same issue removing the top hat. Where did you wedge the crowbar??
Old 09-18-20, 07:28 PM
Shalmanese
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sdgx470
It's my first time working on my 2005 GX470 to change the front shock absorber. Have some questions on how to correctly and safely change it. Would appreciate your advice on the following:

1) To remove the strut assembly, do I need to remove the sway/stabilizer bar?
2) I have already removed the lower strut bolt, but got stuck on the top part. Should I remove the absorber control actuator and its bracket first (by removing the two nuts at label #3 in the attached photo)? It's not easy to get to these nut and seems like it's round. What tool to use for removing #3? There are two #3s, how to remove the on in the back?
3) how to disconnect #4? Or I can leave it connected?
4) should I loosen nut #2 to help remove the strut or the actuator? Is this the one that is holding the spring in position and loosen it without using the spring compressor is dangerous?
5) Also, it's hard to reach the third nut in the back (labeled as 1 with dashed arrow). So have to remove the bracket first?

Thanks for your help.
I'm tearing down my shock absorbers for replacement. What's the thread count & size of the suspension control mounting bracket 4MM hex bolts? I'm assuming I'll strip them all and will pick them up before I get started. I might even pick up something with a stronger head! Viva le ratchet wrench!
Old 09-20-20, 08:03 AM
Shalmanese
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I'm attaching a PDF that shows step by step how to remove the OEM coilover. Good luck and remember to torque everything back to spec when finished.
*torque specs are in the PDF*
Great PDF, thank you! It sez it's repair manual at the end, but no publisher/author. Do you remember?
Old 07-20-21, 07:09 PM
gman71
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone identify the part # for the actuator bracket? I need to replace them on both sides but can't even find the bracket in a diagram online. I'm stumped.
Old 07-21-21, 06:31 AM
se7enine
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gman71
Can anyone identify the part # for the actuator bracket? I need to replace them on both sides but can't even find the bracket in a diagram online. I'm stumped.
What bracket do you need? I just converted to Dobs and don't need the sensor for the front coilovers but kept them in case someone needed them.
Old 07-26-21, 11:31 AM
gman71
Driver School Candidate

Default Bracket

Originally Posted by se7enine
What bracket do you need? I just converted to Dobs and don't need the sensor for the front coilovers but kept them in case someone needed them.
It's the bracket that holds the electronic actuators on top of the strut. I have two, but they're bent, rusted, and are missing every plastic cable-retainer clip.
Old 07-26-21, 12:37 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 107 Posts

There's an LH and RH for it (89269A). It's a shared part # for many Toyota made vehicles.

Last edited by Lexus4321; 07-26-21 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (07-30-21)
Old 07-27-21, 06:34 AM
se7enine
Pit Crew

It's the bracket that holds the electronic actuators on top of the strut. I have two, but they're bent, rusted, and are missing every plastic cable-retainer clip.
If you want a pair cheap with the sensors still attached then I'll sell you mine cause I don't need them.
Old 07-28-21, 06:28 AM
se7enine
Pit Crew