ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009-218/)
-   -   changing front shock absorber on GX470 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/742579-changing-front-shock-absorber-on-gx470.html)

2008 03-14-17 08:05 PM

Could easily be a wheel speed sensor (ABS sensor). Hopefully the cable itself isn't damaged but wouldn't be too hard to imagine. If you pull the code off of techstream it'll tell you what's up. I accidentally cut my front left wheel speed sensor when switching out the shocks. Had to repair it (quicker and less $ than ordering the part online) which was not bad. No issues almost 10k miles later.

jasanders 03-15-17 07:43 AM

I had a guy do the installation for me. Should he have left the sensor that was on top of the old shocks attached to the wire? We disconnected that from the wire and left it on top of the old shocks after they were taken out.

2008 03-16-17 07:49 PM

The wire attached to the struts is for the adjustable ride .. you leave it disconnected if replacing with non-adjustable struts. That won't cause lights to come on the dash. It will cause a code in techstream saying they're disconnected but not a big deal. With the front struts you have to wire tie the wires that attached to the struts somewhere out of the way for safe keeping. With the rears it's a non-issue (rears have a wire that goes into a frame mounted plug so nothing to wire tie).

Long story short you have an issue other than adjustable ride wire. My guess is wheel speed sensor was disturbed or damaged. This can happen when the caliper is not hung up properly and stress was put on the sensor/wire.

Butcherpen 07-26-17 11:35 AM

Botton Stuck

Bottom

After I got all the bolts out it still wont come off. It is compressing down and the bottom mount wont come out..even with a hammer. Do I need to compress the coil spring with a tool?

SC3coupe 07-26-17 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Butcherpen (Post 9936190)
Bottom

After I got all the bolts out it still wont come off. It is compressing down and the bottom mount wont come out..even with a hammer. Do I need to compress the coil spring with a tool?

If you use a pry bar put in one of the round holes in the control arm, then you should be able to put some weight on it, ( most of your weight.. ) to free the shock.
You may need to lightly pry the bottom of the front shock so it would pop out. Some people have the top mount stuck on the top too. It is not clear what your problem is, can you tell which part is already free? You should be able to see a gap off the top mount when you pry the control arm down.

hochiminh 03-02-18 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ali SC3 (Post 8961102)
Yeah I went back out there today after letting it soak all night, it still did not want to come off =(
I got a crow bar wedged at an angle between the top plate and the mount, and got the biggest hammer I had and went to town on it ( i tried same last night but with alot less force).
well on the 5th large hit the shock just fell down, so it was just dirt and grime holding it in place which is seriously the strongest I have ever encountered.

so thanks for the suggestion guys, it turned out to be a simple problem that needed a bigger hammer, or as I call it "suspension adjustment tool"
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q...2/IMG_3624.JPG

Man, I'm having the same issue removing the top hat. Where did you wedge the crowbar??

Shalmanese 09-18-20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sdgx470 (Post 8540824)
It's my first time working on my 2005 GX470 to change the front shock absorber. Have some questions on how to correctly and safely change it. Would appreciate your advice on the following:

1) To remove the strut assembly, do I need to remove the sway/stabilizer bar?
2) I have already removed the lower strut bolt, but got stuck on the top part. Should I remove the absorber control actuator and its bracket first (by removing the two nuts at label #3 in the attached photo)? It's not easy to get to these nut and seems like it's round. What tool to use for removing #3? There are two #3s, how to remove the on in the back?
3) how to disconnect #4? Or I can leave it connected?
4) should I loosen nut #2 to help remove the strut or the actuator? Is this the one that is holding the spring in position and loosen it without using the spring compressor is dangerous?
5) Also, it's hard to reach the third nut in the back (labeled as 1 with dashed arrow). So have to remove the bracket first?

Thanks for your help.

I'm tearing down my shock absorbers for replacement. What's the thread count & size of the suspension control mounting bracket 4MM hex bolts? I'm assuming I'll strip them all and will pick them up before I get started. I might even pick up something with a stronger head! Viva le ratchet wrench!

Shalmanese 09-20-20 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by RCsGX (Post 8540994)
I'm attaching a PDF that shows step by step how to remove the OEM coilover. Good luck and remember to torque everything back to spec when finished.
*torque specs are in the PDF* ;)

Great PDF, thank you! It sez it's repair manual at the end, but no publisher/author. Do you remember?

gman71 07-20-21 07:09 PM

Can anyone identify the part # for the actuator bracket? I need to replace them on both sides but can't even find the bracket in a diagram online. I'm stumped.

se7enine 07-21-21 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by gman71 (Post 11090825)
Can anyone identify the part # for the actuator bracket? I need to replace them on both sides but can't even find the bracket in a diagram online. I'm stumped.

What bracket do you need? I just converted to Dobs and don't need the sensor for the front coilovers but kept them in case someone needed them.

gman71 07-26-21 11:31 AM

Bracket

Originally Posted by se7enine (Post 11091005)
What bracket do you need? I just converted to Dobs and don't need the sensor for the front coilovers but kept them in case someone needed them.

It's the bracket that holds the electronic actuators on top of the strut. I have two, but they're bent, rusted, and are missing every plastic cable-retainer clip.

Lexus4321 07-26-21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by gman71 (Post 11090825)

There's an LH and RH for it (89269A). It's a shared part # for many Toyota made vehicles.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...6fde849839.png

se7enine 07-27-21 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by gman71 (Post 11094220)
It's the bracket that holds the electronic actuators on top of the strut. I have two, but they're bent, rusted, and are missing every plastic cable-retainer clip.

If you want a pair cheap with the sensors still attached then I'll sell you mine cause I don't need them.

se7enine 07-28-21 06:28 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...73c153de20.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...8001adf029.jpg

quick6 05-20-24 07:30 PM

This thread is really helpful -- thanks all!

QQ: I'm replacing the front shocks with new OEM units -- do I need to index the adjusters before removing and installing the new ones? E.g. I don't want to create a situation in which the in-vehicle knob is set to "sport" but the shocks are on "comfort" when I install.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ETA -- ah never mind. I think I figured it out