GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacement of Trans oil on GX

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 04:12 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
nuts man, just nuts. My local Toyota has a dedicated WS fluid machine and wanted around $200 which included 12 quarts of fluid. For that price I may let them do 2 of my vehicles when the time comes. I did the GS350 and it is not a bad job at all with 2 people.. For around $100 labor, I would let them do it if they let me watch. lol
For that price,I would want to watch too. Seriously,with 12 quarts of WS ,how are they making money?? Where in VA is that dealership? My parents live in Midlothian.
Old 11-12-14, 04:15 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This is at First Team Toyota in Chesapeake
Old 11-13-14, 03:23 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
because dealer likely gets WS oil for like $2/qt.

ok, well, i will advise that this is not proper method. if you are swapping oil because you think it needs new oil or a UOA shows signs of needing new oil, then it is imperative to drop the pan and also change the filter. not sure why anyone would want to swap out all the oil and skip dropping pan to replace filter.

With over 142,000 miles on our truck,I am going to change the filter. The only think I dread is getting that crossover exhaust tube off as the bolts are corroded.
Old 11-16-14, 03:24 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
i didnt mess with any exhaust when i did my trans filter and pan gasket. mine is 2006 non-kdss model.

and tidbit for the pan bolts, clean everything good, get a good filter/gasket "kit" (mine had a thick rubber gasket), you'll need an in.lb. tq wrench, use blue lock tite (sparingly) on pan bolt threads, start every bolt and snug them before using tq wrench, do tq in two passes in a circle (start at like 60% of tq spec and then go to 100%, etc). do not think they are loose and over tighten, etc.
Great information Taco_Kid. I am going to crawl under the truck tomorrow and doublcheck on the room I have between the pan and the crossover tube.

Did you use the factory gasket and filter?
Old 11-17-14, 02:59 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Today,I called Lexus for a price to change trans filter and fluid. Service advisor,said not to do it.He said,removing the trans filter on a 10 year old vehicle may open the door to problems. If I still wanted to do it he quoted me for book time of 5 hours.

Toyota............. $600.00

Tri-County Lexus.....$750.00
Old 11-17-14, 03:21 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Personally, I wouldn't do it either. I have never changed a Transmission filter, but I do keep my fluids changed on time.
Old 11-17-14, 04:15 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Personally, I wouldn't do it either. I have never changed a Transmission filter, but I do keep my fluids changed on time.
I am really torn on this right now burny. I have somewhere under 145,000 miles on my fluid.Why would you not change the filter?
Old 11-17-14, 04:23 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wronglane
I am really torn on this right now burny. I have somewhere under 145,000 miles on my fluid.Why would you not change the filter?
I would change the filter. I changed the filter on my 04 gx and it was cake. You do have to take the exhaust piece that crosses over the pan off, but that is very easy. Just get a new gasket, filter and O ring (for the filter to seal against the transmission). When you drop the pan you get to clean the magents and get all the crap out of there so it doesn't circulate into the transmission. I am really not sure what kind of trouble you could cause the transmission from cleaning the magents, pan and installing a new filter. I would not pay someone 600 or whatever to do the job....just do it yourself...very easy.
Old 11-17-14, 04:32 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by Barnesie
I would change the filter. I changed the filter on my 04 gx and it was cake. You do have to take the exhaust piece that crosses over the pan off, but that is very easy. Just get a new gasket, filter and O ring (for the filter to seal against the transmission). When you drop the pan you get to clean the magents and get all the crap out of there so it doesn't circulate into the transmission. I am really not sure what kind of trouble you could cause the transmission from cleaning the magents, pan and installing a new filter. I would not pay someone 600 or whatever to do the job....just do it yourself...very easy.
I was just stating what the service advisor told me,I did not believe him for a second.Its not like I am taking the valve body apart. Any tips on removing the cross over pipe below the trans pan? The bolts look pretty corroded.Will a sawzall be able to get in there and cut thru the bolts?
Old 11-17-14, 04:53 PM
Barnesie
Driver

I was just stating what the service advisor told me,I did not believe him for a second.Its not like I am taking the valve body apart. Any tips on removing the cross over pipe below the trans pan? The bolts look pretty corroded.Will a sawzall be able to get in there and cut thru the bolts?
I was lucky my bolts were not that corroded, so it didn't take anything special. I did use a few squirts of PB Blaster and let that soak for a few minutes. I would just spray some PB Blaster and maybe knock the bolts a few times lightly with a hammer to loosen them up. You could also use a small torch and heat up the bolts and see if that allows it to give. I am not sure if a sawzall would work, but I can't see why it wouldn't...there should be enough space. On one side the nuts are welded to the exhaust, so once you cut it you may have to grind that nut off. Hopefully they will come off with ease and none of this cutting and torching will matter.
Old 11-17-14, 05:25 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Here is a write up on a RX. I know different vehicle, but may give you some pointers. If I had 145,000 and original oil in there, I would change the filter.
Old 11-17-14, 07:02 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Ok Taco,burny,Barnesie,the last page and a half seals the deal for me.I will change the filter when I do the trans. Thank you all for all your support.

Is Sewell the best place to get the filter,gasket and o-ring?
Old 11-17-14, 07:23 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Ok Taco,burny,Barnesie,the last page and a half seals the deal for me.I will change the filter when I do the trans. Thank you all for all your support.

Is Sewell the best place to get the filter,gasket and o-ring?
Yes, they have good prices. Not sure if they are best, but they help support the site and everything I ordered from them came promptly.

Below is everything you need to complete the job.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL PAN GASKET
$16.29 1 $16.29

VALVE BODY OIL STRAINER ASSEMBLY
$41.27 1 $41.27

O-RING (FOR OIL STRAINER)

****YOU NEED TWO OF THESE*****GASKET, DRAIN PLUG (ATM - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION)
$1.74 2 $3.48

HOLE SNAP (FOR TRANSFER ADAPTER)
$1.60 1 $1.60

Last edited by Barnesie; 11-17-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-18-14, 04:03 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Here is a write up on a RX. I know different vehicle, but may give you some pointers. If I had 145,000 and original oil in there, I would change the filter.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...iy-w-pics.html
Old 05-08-15, 10:33 AM
BlueES
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I use the synthetic instead? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-Performance-Multi-Spec-Transmission/dp/B000BQ78H6/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1431105776&sr=1-14&keywords=transmission+fluid http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-Performance-Multi-Spec-Transmission/dp/B000BQ78H6/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1431105776&sr=1-14&keywords=transmission+fluid

Quick Reply: Replacement of Trans oil on GX