GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Axle/CV boot failure, dealer fix cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 07:40 AM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Do I need an alignment done after remove and replace the axle?
I think the tie rod needs to seperate so I think ian alignment is needed even if the original axle is put back
No, you should not need an alignment. Removing the axle should not require the movement of any alignment related parts. As long as you don't rotate the tie rod end after separating the joint no adjustment will be required.
Old 08-18-15, 07:46 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^ thanks, if alignment or no risk of tearing ball joints etc, I would like to try to DIY.
Is it ok to drive like this for a few thousand miles (just took ownership and who knows how long it has been like this) Lexus dealer only reported last month from a complementary inspection when the previous owner took it for oil change, though.
We barely have any rain in 8 months here but I would want to get this fixed before driving in the wet.

I will probably clean it up and see where it is coming from and try to RTV it first.

Also does anyone know the part number or a link to another vendor because sewell link is now closed
Old 08-18-15, 07:55 AM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
^^^ thanks, if alignment or no risk of tearing ball joints etc, I would like to try to DIY.
Is it ok to drive like this for a few thousand miles (just took ownership and who knows how long it has been like this) Lexus dealer only reported last month from a complementary inspection when the previous owner took it for oil change, though.
We barely have any rain in 8 months here but I would want to get this fixed before driving in the wet.

I will probably clean it up and see where it is coming from and try to RTV it first.

Also does anyone know the part number or a link to another vendor because sewell link is now closed
As long as it still has grease inside it should be ok to drive. If it runs out of grease it could cause complete failure requiring a new axle instead of just boots. I would clean it up and see if its just a loose clamp. When I put on my lift it streched the boot a bit causing the clamp to loosen and sprayed out a lot of grease. I picked up a new clamp at the parts store for a few dollars and used a grease gun needle to put grease back in the boot before tightening the new clamp. Been good ever since. I would make sure to use a cv clamp as RTV shouldn't hold up in this situation.

The loss of Sewell was a sad day. I used them on a regular basis and hope they return. Untill that happens... http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...=0&searchTerm=

Last edited by IncgntoLex; 08-18-15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-19-15, 12:39 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks, I have alternative now like mylparts.

the part looks to be 0442760140 and it fits both inside and outside?
I don't think I need to ask, but I should do all 4 of the boots right.. when I look at this issue before, everyone always had the "inner" ones leak.
Old 12-30-15, 09:29 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got it done Yesterday at the Dealer

Got it done from Stealership here Haldeman Lexus in Lawrence, NJ.

$800 including oil change.
Old 12-30-15, 02:47 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=sheikhmax;9304174]Got it done from Stealership here Haldeman Lexus in Lawrence, NJ.

$800 including oil change.

Wow. Well while changing my differential fluids the other day I saw that the drivers side had torn a boot, spraying grease everywhere. Cost me @$80 plus tax for the axel and the oil seal. Took me an hour.
Old 12-30-15, 06:46 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually just replace the axle, as it is cheaper, faster, and I get less grease all over me. Rockauto.com has these:
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=388&jpid=0
starting at $39.79 per side. Or you could go with the "heavy duty" outer boots for $74.79.
Old 04-26-16, 01:28 PM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, sorry to revive this old thread. I just went under my car and saw grease on both side of the front axles. My car is a 2008 is250 AWD. After reading all your stories, it seems like the fix is due asap. However, how does one know if it's just the boot or the actual axle is failing/broken? What would be the symptoms? I ask because i do not hear any noise or any difference in performance so far. Any help is greatly appreciate!
Old 04-26-16, 06:59 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Originally Posted by mycholly
Hey guys, sorry to revive this old thread. I just went under my car and saw grease on both side of the front axles. My car is a 2008 is250 AWD. After reading all your stories, it seems like the fix is due asap. However, how does one know if it's just the boot or the actual axle is failing/broken? What would be the symptoms? I ask because i do not hear any noise or any difference in performance so far. Any help is greatly appreciate!
It's usually just the boot. But you have to clean out the old grease and regrease the whole. Thing. It's messy. Look for a replacement half shaft at autozone. If your handy it shouldn't be too bad. Heck for $800 if it took you all weekend it would be worth it.
Old 04-28-16, 09:24 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a hard job at all...
Old 04-28-16, 08:14 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you are turning a corner (usually under power or accelerating) and you hear a clicking sound, the axle is shot. Run 'em till you hear the clicking, then replace the axle.
Old 05-06-16, 06:16 PM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Morphyne
It's usually just the boot. But you have to clean out the old grease and regrease the whole. Thing. It's messy. Look for a replacement half shaft at autozone. If your handy it shouldn't be too bad. Heck for $800 if it took you all weekend it would be worth it.
Would you say it's better off to replace just the boot then? My buddy of mine is very handy and have been very helpful with the labor. He said he know how to do it but it just a matter of just changing the boot or the whole axle. I don't want after market axle/shaft because i heard they're not reliable

Originally Posted by techrep
Not a hard job at all...
THank you for your help!

Originally Posted by mswtoyota
When you are turning a corner (usually under power or accelerating) and you hear a clicking sound, the axle is shot. Run 'em till you hear the clicking, then replace the axle.
Okay. No click so far. I pray to god i can change the boot and the problem would go away!
Old 05-09-16, 06:42 AM
Morphyne
Driver

You can reboot the axel. it'll save you from having to pull it out of the front differential and have to deal with the oil seal in there as well as the diff fluid.

But, remaned axles are just fine.