GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Toyo Proxes 285 60 17 for GX !

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 10:06 PM
Lexy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo Proxes 285 60 17 for GX !

This GX thing sure is going to be fun. I have a lot of catching up to do. Exhaust first and then new tires. I have my new Toyo Proxes ST's coming in next week. I carefully looked at the front clearance to the strut towers. It looks like there is .85 of an inch clearance from the sidewall to the tower. The additional width of the tire is .4 of an inch on each side. So I should still have almost .5 an inch of clearance. I think this will give the truck a little sportier look. I installed these on my 2001 Highlander and really enjoyed the superior ride and handling. Great for street use, definately not meant for the Off road enthusiast ! Mind you they did pretty well in our snow. But in Vancouver BC we don't get the snow the rest of Canada and the central part of the US gets. Here is a picture of the tire. It is a 285 Width, 60 Height, 17" Width. Should work on the factory Lexus Chrome rims with no problem. The rims are 7.5" wide same specs as the alloy rims.
Attached Thumbnails Toyo Proxes 285 60 17 for GX !-133.gif  
Old 03-12-08, 10:30 PM
Lexy
Rookie

Default Tire Size Calculator

The actual diameter of the tire is almost identical to the stock tire. So the speedo should be spot on. Here is the chart comparing the specs. Second number is with the Toyo's

Stock Tire - 265/65R17 vs Toyo Proxes ST - 285/60R17

Section Width: 10.43 in 265 mm Section Width: 11.22 in 285 mm

Rim Diameter: 17 in 431.8 mm Rim Diameter: 17 in 431.8 mm

Rim Width Range: 7.5 - 9 in Rim Width Range: 8 - 10 in

Overall Diameter: 30.56 in 776.22 mm Overall Diameter: 30.46 in 773.68 mm

Sidewall Height: 6.78 in 172.21 mm Sidewall Height: 6.73 in 170.94 mm

Radius: 15.28 in 388.11 mm Radius: 15.23 in 386.84 mm

Circumference: 96.00 in 2438.4 mm Circumference: 95.69 in 2430.5 mm

Revs per Mile: 680.6 Revs per Mile: 682.8

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h Speedometer1: 60.1 mph 100. km/h

Speedometer Difference: - Speedometer Difference: 0.323% too fast
Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 0.33%

As you know it is recommended to stay within 3% of the diameter of the stock tire. This is as close as it gets. The rim is just a little narrow for these tires. But my tire guy says it will fit great. When the rim is only .5 of an inch too narrow for the tire, it creates a really small buldge of donut. It won't be noticeable on this installation. Pictures of course will follow.
Cheers
Mike from Surrey, BC
Old 03-13-08, 11:28 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pic please!

I plan on doing the same thing as soon as I take my snows off.
Around April
Old 03-14-08, 06:19 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexy
The actual diameter of the tire is almost identical to the stock tire. So the speedo should be spot on. Here is the chart comparing the specs. Second number is with the Toyo's

As you know it is recommended to stay within 3% of the diameter of the stock tire. This is as close as it gets. The rim is just a little narrow for these tires. But my tire guy says it will fit great. When the rim is only .5 of an inch too narrow for the tire, it creates a really small buldge of donut. It won't be noticeable on this installation. Pictures of course will follow.
Cheers
Mike from Surrey, BC
Hi Mike,

Thanks for putting up the specs for this new tire, but what advantages are there in "layman's terms" over the stock Michellin tires that came stock with the GX?

-Alex
Old 03-14-08, 10:10 PM
Lexy
Rookie

Default Why Proxes ST's

LIGHT TRUCK TIRES - PERFORMANCE PROXES S/T
One of the most researched and technically advanced components you will ever install on your Light Truck or SUV. Toyo's DSOC II computer simulation technology is "state of the art" and exclusive to Toyo.

Serious Technology: DSOC II technology has resulted in a tire designed specifically to meet or exceed the driving conditions of your SUV or Sport Truck.

Serious Fit: Designed specifically with the unique driving, handling and load requirements of utility vehicles and sport trucks in mind. Bead protector to help minimize damage to expensive alloy wheels.

Serious In All Seasons: An all-season M+S designation. Double V-groove tread pattern for added all weather performance. H and V speed rating for competition driving conditions.

Serious Good Looks: Featuring raised black letters and aggressive sporty sidewall appearance designed to improve the look of any vehicle.

Serious Warranty: "Millennium" warranty package including:
· 5 year workmanship warranty

So that is the marketing, features and benefits from Toyo. As I said, I have had a couple sets of these on my 01 Toyota Highlander Ltd. They feel surefooted, and handle really well. And they have lasted a long time, around 60,000 miles. But to be honest, I like the wider profile and the sportier look. Really makes a Sport Utility look "Sporty". Because the GX comes with 265 Series width, the 285 will fill in the wheel wells a little more, also a little wider tire will give you more traction in most conditions.

I was able to order these from www.onlinetires.com. They were $ 108.00 each. Not a bad deal in my opinion. I would have supported our sponser at ClubLexus, Tirerack, but they don't offer the Toyo line. By the way I have bought lot's of items from Tirerack, they are great folks as well

Cheers
Mike from Surrey, BC Canada
Old 03-15-08, 02:53 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexy
So that is the marketing, features and benefits from Toyo. As I said, I have had a couple sets of these on my 01 Toyota Highlander Ltd. They feel surefooted, and handle really well. And they have lasted a long time, around 60,000 miles. But to be honest, I like the wider profile and the sportier look. Really makes a Sport Utility look "Sporty". Because the GX comes with 265 Series width, the 285 will fill in the wheel wells a little more, also a little wider tire will give you more traction in most conditions.

I was able to order these from www.onlinetires.com. They were $ 108.00 each. Not a bad deal in my opinion. I would have supported our sponser at ClubLexus, Tirerack, but they don't offer the Toyo line. By the way I have bought lot's of items from Tirerack, they are great folks as well

Cheers
Mike from Surrey, BC Canada
Thx for the info, much appreciated!

-Alex
Old 03-17-08, 08:00 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Any pics or reviews yet?
Old 03-26-08, 10:12 PM
Lexy
Rookie

Default Installed !

Today I got back from picking up my new GX from Fremont California ! Drove back along the Coast from Monterey, California to Astoria, Oregon, then home to Surrey, BC. Averaged 20.7 MPG on the Coastal Highway ! Pretty good for a V8 !
Back on topic, Had the Toyo Proxes ST's installed today, They look awesome and feel better than the stock Dunlops. Clearance is tight but adequate, They are about 3/8" Clearance on the front. The rears have tons of clearance. Full turning left and right with no rubbing issues. Certainly the largest tires you would ever put on the stock rims. They are the identical height to the stock tires, but they definately fill in the wheels nicer. They are 285 Width profile versus the stock 265's. Basically translates to almost an inch wider in width.
I am going to detail the truck on Saturday and post some good pics shortly after. Thanks everyone for your patience.
Cheers

Mike Nielsen
Old 03-27-08, 04:31 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 03-27-08, 02:36 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Are the tires at all noise on the street. The tire pattern looks like they might be
Old 03-30-08, 08:34 PM
Lexy
Rookie

Default A couple of pics

Well, I have had the new Proxes for a couple of hundred miles, and love them. I wonder why Lexus didn't use them as their stock tires. LOL. They are really quiet, really no difference in road noise compared to the factory Dunlops. As I mentioned the clearance is as tight as I would be comfortable with. The clearance is between a 1/4" and 3/8" of an inch from the vertical bar with the little nub on it. Obviously a technical name for this metal rod. Here are a couple pictures that don't really do justice to the tires. I really like the wider stance of the tires.
Attached Thumbnails Toyo Proxes 285 60 17 for GX !-toyo2.jpg  
Old 03-30-08, 08:39 PM
Lexy
Rookie

Default Chrome factory Wheels

These are the optional factory Lexus Chrome Rims. They were bought new with this vehicle at the time of purchase in 2006. They are identical in size to the stock rims, 17" X 7.5" with the stock offset. Next project, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust. Here is another pic of the Toyo's.
Attached Thumbnails Toyo Proxes 285 60 17 for GX !-toyo1.jpg  
Old 03-31-08, 04:14 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Look great!

Still need snow tires here in Oregon but 1st week in April I will do the same!
Old 04-10-08, 02:26 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

great lookin' ride. i have the same color but i have silver rims not chrome like yours. was thinkin' of upgrading as well just like the toyota 4runner special edition rims they sell on ebay but was thinking of using toyo proxes
Old 11-02-10, 08:21 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexy, nice thread, an oldy but a goody. Im gonna look for some of those

now where is the exhaust thread?

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes 285 60 17 for GX !