GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

hazards flashing by themselves and low battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 08:50 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry about all of this, I just don't trust them. I'll go there and let you guys know.
Old 01-11-14, 03:34 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

They don't know yet and need to keep it overnight.
Old 01-11-14, 06:32 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggyG
I'm sorry about all of this, I just don't trust them. I'll go there and let you guys know.
I see you are in MD, what dealer are you going to?
Old 01-12-14, 03:14 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Len Stoler in Owings Mills.
Old 01-12-14, 05:25 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Len Stoler in Owings Mills.
Ahhh Lexus of Rockville is probably too far for you to go if you're unhappy with Len Stoler.
Old 01-14-14, 05:06 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I haven't heard from them yet/still, that can't be good. Is there any chance this is connected to me having aftermarket wheels without the sensors and the fact that my indicator light for low pressure or malfunction never went off? I was expecting the light to be flashing and it never did. Well, it did once for one day about a month ago.
Old 01-15-14, 01:18 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Update, I just got a call and they are saying that they believe it's the turn signal relay. The tested the wires/harnesses and couldn't find any overt problems or issues, using deductive reasoning, they changed out the relay and it hasn't done it again/yet. However, they said they are using an educated guess because there is no spec on checking the relay itself so they can't fully verify or guarantee that this is the issue. They said if it happened again, then it could be connected to rain and a possible leak shorting out the system. they water tested the best they could and didn't find anything but said that my windshield had been replaced before. in total, they are only charging 1hr labor and $70 for the part and they have had it for 3 days. I think this makes the most sense but I wanted to get your input because I have anxiety and worry about this stuff. Does this sound like a good plan, diagnosis, and fix?
Old 01-15-14, 01:47 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Update, I just got a call and they are saying that they believe it's the turn signal relay. The tested the wires/harnesses and couldn't find any overt problems or issues, using deductive reasoning, they changed out the relay and it hasn't done it again/yet. However, they said they are using an educated guess because there is no spec on checking the relay itself so they can't fully verify or guarantee that this is the issue. They said if it happened again, then it could be connected to rain and a possible leak shorting out the system. they water tested the best they could and didn't find anything but said that my windshield had been replaced before. in total, they are only charging 1hr labor and $70 for the part and they have had it for 3 days. I think this makes the most sense but I wanted to get your input because I have anxiety and worry about this stuff. Does this sound like a good plan, diagnosis, and fix?
You did say that you disconnected the turn signal relay and that stopped the issue. They should absolutely be able to test the relay it either makes a circuit or does not, If your windshield was leaking you would know that for sure. Does the flashing start when it is raining or does it just stop and start randomly.

Good luck
Old 01-15-14, 01:52 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

when I unplugged the relay it stopped, but it was no different that unplugging the fuse, it simply cut power to it so it couldn't work. I don't know that there was a connection to rain because I don't think it was raining when this first started last week. i am wondering and hoping that there was a small intermittent issue internal to the relay that caused a ground issue, short circuit, or a voltage change, triggering the problem.
Old 01-15-14, 02:22 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

i am wondering and hoping that there was a small intermittent issue internal to the relay that caused a ground issue, short circuit, or a voltage change, triggering the problem.
That is a long shot but possible.
Did they give you back the old relay?
If so, plug it in and tap the relay case with the handle of a screwdriver and see if the
lights start flashing.

That relay should not energize on its own. It takes 12 volts applied to the coil windings in the relay to turn on the relay. HOWEVER, if the electrical contacts inside the relay are severely pitted and almost touching or there is a mechanical malfunction (broken spring) a little vibration COULD cause the contacts to close and the lights to turn on. This is not the normal failure mode for relays, but it could happen.

Problem is, you mentioned the relay was 'clicking' while the lights were flashing. AND you mentioned the lights don't flash with the key inserted. I've got a feeling something (like the security alarm system) is 'telling' the relay to turn on.
Old 01-16-14, 08:00 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I did get the old relay back. I can try that test that you suggested. You make good points about something sending a signal to the relay telling it to turn on and the fact that it stopped flashing when I turned the key on. I really hope this was the problem though because this is all so stressful. I keep looking outside to see if the lights are flashing.
Old 01-16-14, 08:36 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I keep looking outside to see if the lights are flashing.
I know what you mean. Once had a car where the 'panic alarm' function kicked in while stopped in heavy traffic. Thought I was gonna get shot! Never found a problem with the alarm but I was gun shy for quite awhile.

So, this brings up another possibility for you to check. Check the panic alarm button on your key. Is it touchy? Should take a deliberate 'push' to activate the panic alarm. Try tapping the key on a counter top.
Old 04-09-14, 06:13 PM
Jppare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!

I'm new here and after reading this entire tread, i am wondering if anybody fixed the problem? My girlfriend is300 is actually doing the same. When putting the key to off, the hazard is blinking. When switching the car to on from off. It starts blinker like a machine gun and then go to normal. For now i removed the fuse. I tired to remove the remote starter but it wasnt that. Now im srewed.

More help could be appreciated!
Old 04-16-14, 05:57 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

yes, it was a bad relay.
Old 09-01-16, 09:17 AM
BardorBrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read this post. I too am suffering with the same hazard issue. Ordered relay from dealer, $100. Autozone had incorrect part. Hope this fixes it. Issue started after a heavy rain. When pulling the interior fuse block I noticed condensation on the top mounting bracket. I guess the aftermarket windshield gasket is leaking, lovely.

Hopefully the new relay fixes the issue.

Quick Reply: hazards flashing by themselves and low battery?