GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

hazards flashing by themselves and low battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 08:22 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggyG
I was able to pull the switch out fairly easily, as soon as I disconnected it, the hazards went haywire, flashing rapidly like an machine gun. then just flashed as normal and won't turn off unless I unplug the connector to the relay. Even with the switch completely disconnected, the relay is activated and keeping the lights flashing. Does the relay just pop off too?

Thank you so much for your guidance right now.
If you unplugged the relay that should kill it Are you sure the relay you unplugged was for the hazard lights, You may have unplugged a turn signal relay. I am not sure if there are multiple relays for turn signals and hazards ? If you unplug just the dash switch that really should turn them off. Unless there is a short some where else in the harness. Pretty hard to diagnose blindly. Need electrical schematic.

When the hazards are flashing check to see of all of the lights front and back are flashing are actually lighting up
Old 01-06-14, 08:29 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, all of the lights outside the vehicle were lit as well. I don't think there is a separate relay for the hazards and turning signals, what I unplugged from under the dash was definitely clicking, I could feel it and hear it. It has stopped the problem for now but I don't know what could be next.
Old 01-06-14, 08:32 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

yes, all of the lights outside the vehicle were lit as well. I don't think there is a separate relay for the hazards and turning signals, what I unplugged from under the dash was definitely clicking, I could feel it and hear it. It has stopped the problem for now but I don't know what could be next.
Well when you get to the bottom of it and get it fixed let us all know where the issue was. Good luck I hope its an easy fix
Old 01-07-14, 04:08 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

The battery is still not fully charged, is it possible that it is the cause of the lights flashing?
Old 01-07-14, 06:00 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

The battery is still not fully charged, is it possible that it is the cause of the lights flashing?
What kind of charger are you using ? If it is a low amperage one it will take a fair amount of time to charge and if there is a parasitic drain it might be fighting you. I would suggest to get to a dealer
Old 01-07-14, 06:01 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes. Drive your truck to an Autozone or the like and have them test your battery and charging system. A bad battery can wreack havoc on your elec system.
Old 01-09-14, 08:16 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

The problem was the low battery, 2 days of charging to get to full charge and everything is perfect. Thank you all for the help
Old 01-10-14, 05:56 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

crap, spoke too soon??? It just started to happen again after 2 days of being okay. I checked the voltage and it was reading 12.44, I don't know what it was when I fully charged it. My dad's is250 is 12.54v right now. The car sat for about 2 hours and it just started doing it. Could it be a slight voltage drop, could it not be holding a charge? Could it be amps or something? the battery is a minimum of 3 years old.
Old 01-10-14, 06:17 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

crap, spoke too soon??? It just started to happen again after 2 days of being okay. I checked the voltage and it was reading 12.44, I don't know what it was when I fully charged it. My dad's is250 is 12.54v right now. The car sat for about 2 hours and it just started doing it. Could it be a slight voltage drop, could it not be holding a charge? Could it be amps or something? the battery is a minimum of 3 years old.

To be honest with you the hazards can not be effected by a low battery. The lexus engineers would never have designed the flashers to mal function if the battery was low. You need to get to a dealer and bite the bullet pay for the diagnosis the n you can decide if you want an independent to do the work . Me i would have lexus handle it Warranty !!!!!
Old 01-10-14, 06:37 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

that's not what I was hoping to hear, what would explain the fact that the lexus service writer told me over the phone that it's probably the battery?
Old 01-10-14, 06:47 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

that's not what I was hoping to hear, what would explain the fact that the lexus service writer told me over the phone that it's probably the battery?
Key word here is service writer Not master tech. You have many threads and your getting no where
LUKE THE FORCE IS WITH YOU GO TO THE DEALER NOT YODA ]
Old 01-11-14, 06:13 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Did I mention that the flashers will go off when the key is in the ignition? They only come on with the car off, not while driving.
Old 01-11-14, 06:18 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

When the key is in the ignition you should hear a buzzer warning you the key is in the ignition Are you hearing the buzzer. I would imagine if the problem occurs with the key out and car off you have a short somewhere in the system . I feel it just cant be a battery issue
Old 01-11-14, 06:49 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

yes, I hear the buzzer.
Old 01-11-14, 08:48 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

yes, I hear the buzzer.
Go to the dealer and let us know what was wrong.

Quick Reply: hazards flashing by themselves and low battery?