GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help! Front Bumper trim

Old 01-15-14, 06:24 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help! Front Bumper trim

Hi,

Trying to find this front bumper trim, any ideas as to the cost and where can I find it.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Help! Front Bumper trim-lexus-gx-sport-bumper-trim.jpg  
Old 01-15-14, 06:54 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexus no longer sells it. Best bet is eBay or here in the classifieds. I doubt you'll find one though.
Old 01-15-14, 07:58 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Thanks Rc,

You are correct, hard to find. I am thinking trying China, I am sure they have a copy of it. The main reason I want to put this on, previous owner had the front plates on and there are holes and deep scratched where front plate was placed. Currently I put on Lexus blank plate to cover it.

I almost had a guy refinish the front bumper for $150, I was afraid new paint would easily be pitted by rocks and peeling down the road. This is a great solution, hiding the imperfections and looks good.

Will keep you posted. I am bored nothing to do on the truck. My front headlights plastic could use some refinishing. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Lexus no longer sells it. Best bet is eBay or here in the classifieds. I doubt you'll find one though.

Last edited by gxman1; 01-15-14 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 06:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
Thanks Rc,

You are correct, hard to find. I am thinking trying China, I am sure they have a copy of it. The main reason I want to put this on, previous owner had the front plates on and there are holes and deep scratched where front plate was placed. Currently I put on Lexus blank plate to cover it.

I almost had a guy refinish the front bumper for $150, I was afraid new paint would easily be pitted by rocks and peeling down the road. This is a great solution, hiding the imperfections and looks good.

Will keep you posted. I am bored nothing to do on the truck. My front headlights plastic could use some refinishing. Any ideas?
I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the idea of getting it refinished. If the area is properly prepared and new paint is properly baked, durability shouldn't be significantly different than with the original factory paint.

However, what I'd be more concerned about than durability with refinishing would be getting a satisfactory color match. What color is your GX? If it is pearl white or red, especially, or if it is light silver or light gold, getting a refinished bumper to match well would require multi-stage blending into the paint on the fenders. If the vehicle is a darker metallic or pearl color, a good technician should be able to have a much better chance of a satisfactory match, and, if it is black, the area where the license plate was should be able to be spotted in and be very easy to match.

In any case, if it were my vehicle, I think that, if I was concerned about refinishing, I'd just live with the using the Lexus plate to cover the area. I know that everyone's tastes are different, but, to me, the bumper add-on is not especially attractive, and I'm not a big fan, in general, of those kinds of add-ons.
Old 01-16-14, 08:00 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I know what you mean, I'm getting bored with my GX too. I ordered some Weathertech vent visors that are being delivered today. I also ordered some 3m 1080 brushed black metallic material to wrap the wood interior with.

I really wanted to get my wood trim pieces hydrodipped in a black wood finish similar to the sports package but I can't find any local places. Our wood trim pieces don't come up often on eBay and when they do they're really expensive so I don't trust sending my parts out of state. Plus most of these hydrodip companies are fly by night...here today gone tomorrow and I'd be pissed if they went out of business w/ my parts still in their possession.

EDIT:

I might have to return the Weathertech deflectors. The rears fit ok but the fronts won't allow my windows to roll up without the auto-reverse function kicking in and when I do roll it up slowly it's pulling my windows towards the front of the GX where I can where the tint shop trimmed my tint...which I should not be able to see that. I've never had this problem with other brands in the past.

I'm going to let it sit until tomorrow. If they don't fit better tomorrow they're going back to Amazon. This is one of the main reasons I love Amazon (Prime) because if there's any problem with something I buy I can always return it for free and don't have to jump through hoops messing w/ RMAs and shipping it back on my dime.

Last edited by RCsGX; 01-16-14 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-16-14, 12:27 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Lesz,

The color is Silver pine metalic, at the moment I have the lexus plate cover on and can live with it. The reason I wanted to avoid getting painted was, I had a bumper refinished on another lexus and saw paint pitted easily from highway driving.

I am not also fan of too many accessory, I like the rear spoiler and had it installed, looks awesome. I saw few GX with this type of bumper trim and always wanted to put it on the truck.
Old 01-16-14, 12:29 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Rc,

The 3m wrap looks like a cool idea, I wonder how would you wrap the steering wheel, since it has curves.

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I
Old 01-16-14, 01:22 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Rc,

The 3m wrap looks like a cool idea, I wonder how would you wrap the steering wheel, since it has curves.
It can conform to curves easily but I'm worried about how to mate the two sides up to create a seamless seam. On trim pieces you tuck the excess material in the back so you don't see it. On the wheel there's no where to hide it.

If the trim looks good I'll probably take the wheel off and plasti-dip the wood in black that way if I ever get tired of the 3m stuff I can just peel the plasti-dip off of the wheel.