GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suspension Clunk Over Potholes

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 11:39 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cejens1
Thanks amccaulx for the info. Looks like this is more common than I initially thought. My wife has an '06 GX non-KDSS and we have never noticed the clunking issue. I recently picked up the '09 KDSS which has 60k and I immediately noticed the clunking, just from the rear when driving over rough/washed out roads. I don't seem to notice a difference when switching the suspension from 'sport' to 'comfort'. It does however seem a little more evident when in the mornings when its colder. I will keep a watch out for the results of Lolrax's bushing replacement. Hopefully its something this simple!
If it's swaybar bushings, then it's going to be more noticeable when only one of the wheels is impacted. Is this the case w/yours?

I could imagine the KDSS hydraulic "ram" making noise when worn, and that probably wouldn't be wheel-dependent.

If not, have you checked other obvious stuff like ensuring your spare tire isn't moving, that it isn't the exhaust, etc.?

I have 90k on my KDSS '07 and the rear is quiet. I get a small clunk on "washboard" surfaces from the front that I think is swaybar bushings. I have a new set from Sewell sitting on the bench, but have been too lazy to install them. I read something on T4R that made me think the KDSS system may make replacing the bushings a bit of a PITA.
Old 02-28-14, 12:52 PM
cejens1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it does seem more evident when the driver side rear is going over dips, potholes, & washed-out areas. Fortunately I do not hear anything from the front, yet. I also checked the spare tire to ensure it was nice a snug, no issue there. Everything does seem to point to the sway bar bushings.
Old 03-03-14, 10:54 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

I am probley going to be replacing the shocks in the next month or two. At this point I don't think they are bad enough to cause issues, just an annoyance. My friend is going to help me with the install, so that should help with the cost.

I am kind of torn on what shocks to get though:

1. Bilstien 5100s
Cost: $385
-Pros: Quality & Versatility
-Cons: Because it allows for "0-2in" of lift in the rear, my concern is that if fully extended (Especially with the extra articulation of KDSS) It may cause the airbags to pop out. I am not sure though if this would really be an issue or not.

RCsGX drilled through the airbags bottom bin and used a R clip to help with this

2. Bilstien 4600HD
-Cost: $325
-Pros: It should be the same as the Arnott replacement shocks that claim to be designed for our cars. May be a "Safer Bet" then the 5100s

-Cons: Don't know 100% sure how they compare to the stock shock size, and if they will be long enough to accommodate the airbags at full height, or if they will be able to accommodate the full travel of KDSS

3. Toyota OE Shocks for a 4th Gen V8 4runner
-Cost: Less then $300

-Pros: Cheaper then the other options. Should have a softer ride then the Bilstiens. Will "appear" to be stock. The fronts come with the entire shock/spring/ect installed as one unit, so the install will be easy, and I will get all new pieces

-Cons: since they weren't designed to work with KDSS or Air Rear Suspension, I am not sure how they will handle either.

At this point, I am not really sure what the "Safest" option would be because of the Rear air and KDSS...I think all I can do at this point is to contact Bilstien and get exact measurements of the shocks fully extended and compressed, and compare that to my stock ones.
Old 03-03-14, 12:48 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by amccaulx
RCsGX drilled through the airbags bottom bin and used a R clip to help with this
Those weren't my pics, I found them online from a Prado site. Post #81 below.
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...r-a-Lift/page6

They also used limiting wire straps:
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...l=1#post182777
Old 03-03-14, 01:10 PM
amccaulx
Rookie

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Those weren't my pics, I found them online from a Prado site. Post #81 below.
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...r-a-Lift/page6

They also used limiting wire straps:
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...l=1#post182777
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Did you do anything to keep your airbags in place once you put your 5100s in the rear, or did you leave them as is?
Old 03-03-14, 01:21 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by amccaulx
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Did you do anything to keep your airbags in place once you put your 5100s in the rear, or did you leave them as is?
Nope, for now I left them as is. One of these days I'll probably "R" pin them just in case.
Old 03-03-14, 01:40 PM
amccaulx
Rookie

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Nope, for now I left them as is. One of these days I'll probably "R" pin them just in case.
Maybe I am worring too much about nothing. From what I gathered from those PradoPoint posts so far, is that it was those doing long travel suspension upgrades that had to worry about dislodging an air bag, and even some that put longer travel shocks on didn't ahve any problems, even when they tried to full flex...

According to their suspension specs page:

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...nsion-Database

Rear Shock Open Travel Closed (Notes)
mm mm mm
Standard Prado 120 575 219 356 (Measured)
GrandeTEMSPrado 575 189 386 (Measured)
Standard Prado 150 574 209 365 (Measured)

Bilstein B46-1478 595 220 375 (Landcruiser 80 shock)
Bilstein 5100 597 218 379 (Part No 33-187174)
Bilstein 5160 600 223 377 (Part No 25-177909)

The 5100s fully extended length is only 22mm longer then their stock shocks, and someone was saying up to 60mm was ok (*Not 100% sure).

The risk of getting a rear shock too long (ie 5100s) is that you could dislodge an airbag when fully extended. What is the risk of fully extending a shock that is too short (ie 4600)? Just trying to determine the lesser of two evils.
Old 03-17-14, 12:41 PM
amccaulx
Rookie

For anyone following, a fellow member found a the cause of his suspension clunking issue on his GX460. It ended up being the bushing between the Rear KDSS piston and the Swaybar (Part 48818-60020.

Post #55:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-rattle-4.html

Since bushings are relatively cheap, I may try replacing those first, and see if that fixes my issue before swapping out the shocks