GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Secondary Air Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 02:13 PM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rtpatter
I have an 2007 GX 470 140k. I am getting the vacuum cleaner sound for 30 sec at startup. Was told by mechanic the motor is failing and $2k to repair. He said there is a 50/50 shot that if the valves or open once it completely fails I might be ok. What is the risk of doing nothing and how long do I have before the fan motor completely fails? Thanks.
I can't remember specifically, but from the first time I noticed the noise and when it actually failed was less than 6 months (probably just a few months). We also don't drive much so timing might be different based on usage. The problem is when the fan implodes and blows bits of plastic down into the check valves and causes them to get stuck open. That was an additional $500 in parts (plus additional labor because the shop didn't replace or look at them when they replaced the fan). The stuck valves cause CEL and the truck runs in limp mode until you fix it. The other option is the bypass kit (mentioned elsewhere on this site) which is considerably cheaper. I would have been 100% happy to go this route when mine died but the wife wouldn't go for it.
Old 11-16-17, 05:30 PM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by erock1847
so... I went to the dealership today to get a price on the secondary air injection valve. I got the P2432 error code. So... I was talking at the parts counter and telling him about this seeming to be a pretty typical issue and service manager happened to be at the counter and he said that it's covered under the warranty no matter the mileage. I he looked up the code I gave them and he said they would have to confirm and hook it up at no charge. So I said.... let's do it. The same code came up but it was not in there system under warranty, but the apparently the whole secondary air injection system is covered.... so he's sending up the flag pole with Lexus and waiting to hear back if it's covered. But, I do remember him referring to all the codes with the air pump being covered.... P2440, P2442...ETC... So... I would DEFINITELY CHECK it out with the dealership before doing the work your self. Thanks for everyone's input on the forum. I'll let you know how it turns out.
erock1847 - Did you ever find out if this was covered under warranty irregardless of mileage?
Old 11-17-17, 04:30 AM
erock1847
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erock1847
so... I went to the dealership today to get a price on the secondary air injection valve. I got the P2432 error code. So... I was talking at the parts counter and telling him about this seeming to be a pretty typical issue and service manager happened to be at the counter and he said that it's covered under the warranty no matter the mileage. I he looked up the code I gave them and he said they would have to confirm and hook it up at no charge. So I said.... let's do it. The same code came up but it was not in there system under warranty, but the apparently the whole secondary air injection system is covered.... so he's sending up the flag pole with Lexus and waiting to hear back if it's covered. But, I do remember him referring to all the codes with the air pump being covered.... P2440, P2442...ETC... So... I would DEFINITELY CHECK it out with the dealership before doing the work your self. Thanks for everyone's input on the forum. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Turns out. It was covered 100% by the dealership. In and out in a day. Free. Good luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by erock1847:
FrankT (11-17-17), rtpatter (11-20-17), Ssd108 (11-22-17)
Old 11-20-17, 11:46 AM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Angry

FYI - Just an update the secondary air pump is covered under 10 year 150k; manufacture warranty. Unfortunately, mine expired in March 2017. If only it had started screeching a few months earlier
Old 03-13-18, 08:50 AM
tomtbone
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for some advice here. I installed the bypass kit awhile ago and things seemed fine for like a year. I have been sporadically getting the the P02445 code and going into limp mode lately, more frequently. Sometimes it turns on right at startup, sometimes on the middle of the highway, seemingly random. What else could be causing this if I have the bypass kit installed?