GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Secondary Air Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 05:26 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

No sir, you do not have to unhook any harnesses in there. The bypass kit is the way to go.
Old 09-19-15, 05:15 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI for everyone.....

If you do the bypass kit module and also install the block off plates. It's surprising easy to install the block off plates. I just did it in about 15 minutes total, it took more time to jack up the truck and to remove the flats on the side of the engine. Getting to the 2 bolts for the plates was easy and luckily, they were not rusted.
Old 03-14-16, 06:25 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Thank you for doing that.
Old 03-21-16, 07:43 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I called customer service and claimed and asked for help several weeks ago. I was told that they would open a case, investigate and get back to me within 24-48hrs, I still haven't heard back from anyone. This is not the service I expect from Lexus/Toyota.
Old 03-29-16, 08:51 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any warnings that this failure is about to occur? Like noise, etc.
Old 03-30-16, 06:35 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

No warnings. You aren't able to hear the air pump run over the noise the engine makes.

Chip H.
Old 04-01-16, 11:16 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chiph9
No warnings. You aren't able to hear the air pump run over the noise the engine makes.

Chip H.
Thanks Chip!
Old 12-03-16, 11:30 AM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
Not entirely true, I could hear mine shortly before it completely failed and started throwing codes. Sounded like a shopvac for about 30 seconds.

I just had the secondary air pump replaced on my '05, but the indie shop that performed the work didn't inspect/replace the check vales and it threw a P1444 this morning (2 days later). I assume the failed pump blew bits of the fan into the system and messed up the (now stuck open) check valve. Question: anyone know if this is an easy (ish) fix? Does it require pulling the manifold off? I'm concerned the shop will try to charge me for this even though they should have checked the valves during the repair.

Thanks
Old 12-03-16, 03:36 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK So I am
Not sure if this is the right thread.
I am having a loud Vacuum Noise coming from right passenger side. It's constant with the sound of the engine. When I rev it up it increases but doesn't go away.

A little Background.
First time it happened after I got the TB+WP+Tensioner+Pulleys replaced. I had CEL for VVT Solenoid and they troubleshooted and told me that PIN on the connecter was bent and they straightened it out and CEL went away. Regarding loud vaccum noise Service Advisor said that it was due to the Alternator running with high voltage trying to compensate for battery. Told me to change the battery. Which I didn't and the vaccum sound went away for good 6 months.

It's back now and constant from last 2 days..

Any ideas where to get started.
I can hear the noise coming from right side around the alternator area.
Old 12-04-16, 10:45 AM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

The secondary air pump only runs for about 30s on cold start so I'm not confident this is the same issue you're having.
Old 12-04-16, 11:45 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Agree. I hope not. Plus I don't have no CEL ON just annoying. Did some investigation that sound is coming from under the intake manifold I took the filter housing out till the throttle body. Also check the suction which is very strong....
I will open the new thread and see if some one can chime in.
Old 12-04-16, 11:49 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Also if anyone is interested in the DIY for secondary air injection pump here is the link with all the details for GX 470.
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28954
Old 12-14-16, 12:11 PM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

So, I took the GX back to the mechanic after they replaced the air pump because it was throwing the same (similar) code (P1444). Check valve was stuck open. They replaced all three check valves (parts were nearly $500) and split the difference on labor of 5.5 hours. So ended up coughing up another $800 for a F*$@ing emissions issue. Grand total at an independent shop using Toyota parts:

$430 for genuine Toyo air pump on AMZ
$150 for Denso reman. starter (just because)
$100 in misc parts (o-rings, gaskets, coolant)
$480 for check valves
$1390 in labor

Still ended up paying $2500+ for this adventure and was without my GX for two weeks. Should have just taken it to the dealer, paid the same and had my car back in 3 days.

Merry Christmas?
Old 08-10-17, 01:09 PM
erock1847
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

so... I went to the dealership today to get a price on the secondary air injection valve. I got the P2432 error code. So... I was talking at the parts counter and telling him about this seeming to be a pretty typical issue and service manager happened to be at the counter and he said that it's covered under the warranty no matter the mileage. I he looked up the code I gave them and he said they would have to confirm and hook it up at no charge. So I said.... let's do it. The same code came up but it was not in there system under warranty, but the apparently the whole secondary air injection system is covered.... so he's sending up the flag pole with Lexus and waiting to hear back if it's covered. But, I do remember him referring to all the codes with the air pump being covered.... P2440, P2442...ETC... So... I would DEFINITELY CHECK it out with the dealership before doing the work your self. Thanks for everyone's input on the forum. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-16-17, 02:00 PM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Default Question about secondary air pump

I have an 2007 GX 470 140k. I am getting the vacuum cleaner sound for 30 sec at startup. Was told by mechanic the motor is failing and $2k to repair. He said there is a 50/50 shot that if the valves or open once it completely fails I might be ok. What is the risk of doing nothing and how long do I have before the fan motor completely fails? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Pump