GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Heater not working

Old 12-18-13, 07:44 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by anon1m0us
When the engine was cold, the error code was 23.

Once the enginer warmed up, it went back to 00.
I still am of the belief there is air pocket issue or something else. I tried looking up the code you got and cant find any info on it. I am, still searching.
Old 12-18-13, 08:32 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think if he had air pockets, he would have other symptoms and issues with overheating or something. I bet one of his actuator doors are not working properly plus I would not rely 100% on the diag codes either. Usually you can find a Lexus Mech and ask them any question and they are glad to try and help you with issues, they know if its a big tedious job they will get the work from you more than likely.
Old 12-18-13, 08:42 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
I think if he had air pockets, he would have other symptoms and issues with overheating or something. I bet one of his actuator doors are not working properly plus I would not rely 100% on the diag codes either. Usually you can find a Lexus Mech and ask them any question and they are glad to try and help you with issues, they know if its a big tedious job they will get the work from you more than likely.
It's entirely possible to have an air pocket in the heater core that would not affect engine cooling, just HVAC heat output. He says he has only parital heat coming from one of the vents, he'd have more than one mix door malfunctioning if that was the issue I'm betting.

I had a heater core blockage on our old '05 Legacy w/ dual zone climate control, single heater core, perfect heat on driver's side, cold air on passenger side, these things fail with strange symptoms sometimes. I was able to have it flushed and we were good to go.
Old 12-18-13, 09:15 AM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
It's entirely possible to have an air pocket in the heater core that would not affect engine cooling, just HVAC heat output. He says he has only parital heat coming from one of the vents, he'd have more than one mix door malfunctioning if that was the issue I'm betting.

I had a heater core blockage on our old '05 Legacy w/ dual zone climate control, single heater core, perfect heat on driver's side, cold air on passenger side, these things fail with strange symptoms sometimes. I was able to have it flushed and we were good to go.
I do not have perfect heat on the driver side. One of the vents on the driver side (just one of the vents) has warmer air than all the other vents.
Old 12-18-13, 11:45 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi,

My heater in my GX470 2003 is not working! I am freezing.

HELP!!!
2 days later and not one bit closer to having heat. Pay up and have a shop do a diagnostic (some will do it for free) and then fix it yourself once you find out the cause.
Old 12-18-13, 12:18 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
2 days later and not one bit closer to having heat. Pay up and have a shop do a diagnostic (some will do it for free) and then fix it yourself once you find out the cause.
I agree--sometimes you gotta let the Pro's handle things and Pay up, suck it up, get it done correctly and let there be HEAT + added bonus it comes with a usually a 1-year warranty
Old 12-18-13, 12:55 PM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Booyah
I agree--sometimes you gotta let the Pro's handle things and Pay up, suck it up, get it done correctly and let there be HEAT + added bonus it comes with a usually a 1-year warranty
Not an option. My professional mechanic wants close to $1,000. I would rather freeze a few more days to see if we can get a solution
Old 12-18-13, 12:59 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Not an option. My professional mechanic wants close to $1,000. I would rather freeze a few more days to see if we can get a solution
$1000 for what?

Details man...details!!! You can't leave that out....
Old 12-18-13, 01:01 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

$1000 for what?

Details man...details!!! You can't leave that out....

If some thing is wrong what did the PRO say!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-13, 01:03 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrblister
If some thing is wrong what did the PRO say!!!!!!!!!

I know!?? Everyday we find out another detail he choose to leave out for whatever reason.

OP tell us EVERYTHING you or anyone has done or tried to do to remedy this problem.
Old 12-18-13, 01:35 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I know!?? Everyday we find out another detail he choose to leave out for whatever reason.

OP tell us EVERYTHING you or anyone has done or tried to do to remedy this problem.
I am no longer going to participate in this thread. I hope he gets it resolved. If I wanted a mystery I will read a book
Old 12-18-13, 02:02 PM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

Details?? I went to a mechanic and he said everything needs to be replaced. How much? He said about $1000. $400 for labor and $500-$600 for parts. He said the dashboard needs to be removed, etc/. Sorry, I don't trust him.

Don;t really know what this has to do with finding the culprit of what is causing the issue.
Old 12-18-13, 02:23 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Details?? I went to a mechanic and he said everything needs to be replaced. How much? He said about $1000. $400 for labor and $500-$600 for parts. He said the dashboard needs to be removed, etc/. Sorry, I don't trust him.

Don;t really know what this has to do with finding the culprit of what is causing the issue.
For gods sake man take that car to a Lexus dealer for an estimate! The dealer may know exactly what component is bad by checking a TSB or experience fixing other GX's with the same problem.

"Replace everything" yeah right.

As an alternative, you could light a small fire in the ash tray and turn the seat heaters full up.
Old 12-18-13, 02:24 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrblister
I am no longer going to participate in this thread. I hope he gets it resolved. If I wanted a mystery I will read a book

Yes...details! You never mentioned that you already took it to a mechanic and had them diagnose your problem. If you know what the problem is what's the point of this thread?

And again, details....what exactly is "everything needs to be replaced"?
Old 12-18-13, 03:23 PM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

Yes...details! You never mentioned that you already took it to a mechanic and had them diagnose your problem. If you know what the problem is what's the point of this thread?

And again, details....what exactly is "everything needs to be replaced"?
No details was provided by the mechanic. All that was said was everything needed to be replaced. If he told me the thermostat or valves, I would not need to open a thread to find the root cause.

I was told my heat does not work, everything needs to be replaced. No details, just a price. My opinion, the guy was a scam. I am looking here for guidance what the issues could be and how to test it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater not working