GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

got rear ended need fix advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 08:16 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok thanx for the new link, i see it now... i will take it to a lexus dealer to get an estimate and decide to do it myself or not, too many damn little parts to order and so on...

also, my insurance called me and said the guy who rear ended my truck is demanding compensation... is this normal? he rear ended my car even though my dad got a ticket i still think that he is at fault himself too atleast?
Old 12-15-13, 05:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Looks like a blizzard pearl cover is $869.00 from Sewell that includes the shipping.
Probably cheaper than having a body shop do a blend.

O.K. here's the correct one! Fits a 2004 - all years the same? Maybe the blizzard pearl formulation changed slightly from year to year. Something to consider. Dealer may know.
The problem isn't likely to be whether the paint formulation is the same. Even if the paint formulation is identical to the one used originally on the vehicle, if, with metallic or pearl finishes, a panel is painted separately from the rest of the vehicle, the color flakes are not going to lie the same direction on that panel as they do on the adjacent panels, and the separately painted panel will catch the light differently from the way the adjacent panels catch the light, and, again, the separately painted panel will stick out like a sore thumb.

I should qualify what I'm saying by admitting that I have always been fanatic with regard to fits and finishes. I can walk past a line of cars in a parking lot, and, without even looking closely, my eye will immediately notice any cars with paint work. Once my eye sees it, it will be, for me, like fingernails scraping on a chalkboard. That is the reason why, for me, my choice of vehicle colors is strongly influenced by how difficult it is to get a good match with a particular color. Pearl whites are some of toughest colors, even with a multi-stage blend, to get right. Any reds are very tough, and light metallics and pearls, like the light golds and silvers, are very tough. The easiest matches are with non-metallic blacks, and, with metallic and pearl finishes, the darker colors are easier than the lighter ones. As I said in my earlier post, about the only color that I'd be willing to take a chance with getting a satisfactory panel-to-panel match is a non-metallic black. With a darker metallic or pearl, I'd be confident that a satisfactory match could be achieved with a multi-stage blend. With a pearl white, red, or light metallic, I'd be nervous even with a multi-stage blend.

Originally Posted by RCsGX
You're right, ideally anything with a flake / pearl should be blended. A lady hit my passenger side read door in my MDX (Nighthawk black pearl) and Acura had to fade into the front door and rear quarter.

I ordered a OEM 3rd brake light cover earlier this month from eBay and it was a perfect match to my blizzard pearl paint. Granted it wasn't a large piece like a bumper but the flake and the shade of white was a perfect match.
It definitely does make it easier if a separately painted panel is a small one. For example, something like thin body side moldings that come pre-painted are likely to look okay when added to a car.
Old 12-15-13, 05:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by clubsport

also, my insurance called me and said the guy who rear ended my truck is demanding compensation... is this normal? he rear ended my car even though my dad got a ticket i still think that he is at fault himself too atleast?
In many, perhaps most, states, the insurance laws allow for the "fault" for an accident to be given, on a percentage basis, partially to both drivers. But, if only one driver gets a ticket, it is almost guaranteed that the driver who got the ticket is going to be given the bulk of the fault and the responsibility to pay for most of the damages.

Several years ago, I skidded on an icy road surface with a Toyota pickup. I was happy, for a moment, when I was able to get the vehicle under control and was able to bring it to a stop without ending up in the ditch along the side of the road, but my happiness only lasted for a couple of seconds until the semi behind me slammed into the back of my truck. Even though the semi-driver was assigned a portion of the fault by the insurance companies, because I was the only one who got a ticket, the bulk of the damages were paid for by my insurance company.
Old 12-15-13, 07:41 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Normally if you get hit from the back the other driver is at fault but had it not been for your Dad making that turn into oncoming traffic (and getting a ticket) the accident never would've happened. He's lucky he didn't get a reckless driving ticket.

And why would you think the other driver shares the blame? He's driving down the highway minding his own business when your Dad whips out in front of him?

my dad was driving, and he got a ticket for careless driving, he tried to do a u turn in the far left most lane on the highway by going into one of those center dirt connection area where cops usually sit? between the two highways, i don't know if the other insurance company will cover it? my deductible is high so i thought save time and just take care of this myself, thanx
Old 12-15-13, 09:18 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

my dad was still in the left lane when he slowed down and was hit so he theoretically was not doing anything careless per se, just his intention was a bad judgement - anyway he's an honest abe, had he not said anything he would've not gotten a ticket at all...

but i thought a car behind you always maintain a safe distance and you rear end someone for whatever reason you are at fault as well...???
Old 12-15-13, 03:03 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the other driver hadn't chosen to drive that day he ended up crashing into the rear of your Dad's / your truck because he was slowing in the fast lane to take an illegal u-turn, then there wouldn't have been a wreck.
Old 12-15-13, 03:23 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

my dad was still in the left lane when he slowed down and was hit so he theoretically was not doing anything careless per se, just his intention was a bad judgement - anyway he's an honest abe, had he not said anything he would've not gotten a ticket at all...

but i thought a car behind you always maintain a safe distance and you rear end someone for whatever reason you are at fault as well...???
I don't really understand the whole story...but if your Dad was going North lets say and he said ops I need to go South and pulled left onto those Highway Patrol dirt hangout spots / median and then pulled into oncoming traffic heading South and was immediately hit from behind, that's his fault.

Either way your Dad got a ticket so he was to blame. Sucks but that's life. Thankfully nobody was injured.

Last edited by RCsGX; 12-15-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-15-13, 04:11 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

yea i am glad no one was hurt...

back in high school when i was naive and believed everyone were like my teachers... i was suckered by the guy who hit me turning at the intersection as i was crossing a green light... i went home from the hospital the next day to find out i gotten ticket for running red light per se the woman who hit me and her friend in another car behind her... so i lost a car with a hefty hospital bill and no energy to fight that ticket...

anyway in this case i assumed both parties are possibly at fault since i don't know the rules well...