GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX poor ride quality - rears bottom out - Problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 09:21 AM
AVnGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX poor ride quality - rears bottom out - Problem solved

I hope my findings and solution helps those out there with the same complaint I had.
I had the same frustration other had. Over time, the GX did not ride as smooth and hit hard on dips and bumps like a speed bump.
Air bags fill properly. Shock are damp around pistons, but definitely not blown out.
My vehicle has 188,000 miles on it.
Dealer looked at and drove with me two times: Report: All working proper.
The recommendation to put the air level control to high and then back to normal did improve the condition but not like when new.
Vehicle rode better with a load in the back, and or people in back seats.
So I read where someone had a theory that the height sensors might degrade over time, and the normal position might have drifted out of range.

Fix: I adjusted the height sensors to ride a little higher (as I could see on the rear axle the rubber bump stops had been making contact a lot- it was all clean and shiny).
Raised the rear about 1/2" on each side. Did a lot of measurements from ground to bottom of wheel opening (not the best reference point, but at least I had one).

Result: Raising the ride height, thus increasing the travel to the bump stops totally brought back the good ride it had when newer. I also believe the increased height means the air bags have more pressure, thus more spring rate. So it takes more force to compress and travel to the bump stops.

Hope this solution helps others, as I was dealing with the aggravation for 3 years.
Old 12-10-13, 11:08 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post! Thanks for the info.
Old 12-10-13, 11:21 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Boooo I was hoping to see a new fix. This has been discussed many times throughout the years.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gx47...ient=firefox-a
Old 12-10-13, 02:31 PM
jmgraham78
Driver School Candidate

This actually seem like a completely legit fix. It is kind of nice for someone to post a fix that a little of our own wrenching can fix with little to no cost.

Nice work AVnGX!
Old 12-10-13, 02:58 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

This is assuming you can get the lock nuts on the sensors free after 10 years.
Old 12-10-13, 03:13 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ALAN553
This is assuming you can get the lock nuts on the sensors free after 10 years.
If not just add washers between the frame and the ride height sensor mounting bracket until you get your desired height. Same results and it's quicker / easier to fine tune.

EDIT:

Yesterday I added washers to the ride height sensor bracket and raised the back 1/2".
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8278477-post13.html

Last edited by RCsGX; 12-13-13 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 04:16 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Just get new shocks. The extra air in the bags makes it feel stiff. Like basketballs. I just put in bilstein 5100's and that solved tje bottoming.
Old 12-10-13, 05:15 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Just get new shocks. The extra air in the bags makes it feel stiff. Like basketballs. I just put in bilstein 5100's and that solved tje bottoming.
Not me...I still bottom out on deep dips in the road even w/ the Bilsteins.
Old 12-10-13, 05:22 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Just put new OEM shocks in and still get an occasional bottoming out.
Old 12-10-13, 05:23 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by RCsGX
If not just add washers between the frame and the ride height sensor mounting bracket until you get your desired height. Same results and it's quicker / easier to fine tune.

Great idea
Old 12-10-13, 05:24 PM
AVnGX
Driver School Candidate

For what its worth, the ride did not get firmer with more air in the air bags. It still rides very smooth.

And I probably even adjusted them incorrectly. I saw the threaded link between the bracket and sensor and loosened the lock not, and turned the bolt out to lengthen the overall length.
After I did that I realized the whole sensor bracket had slots that could have accomplished the same thing.
So maybe my mistake by raising it by lengthening the rod is the magic that worked?

Maybe someone on here can explain why the adjust can be done by the mounting bracket and the rod length?
Old 12-10-13, 05:25 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Was considering replacing sensors myself, does anyone know if they are plug and play or do they need to be adjusted after installation. Looks like and easy job. Couple of bolts and the connector.
Old 12-10-13, 05:50 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AVnGX
Maybe someone on here can explain why the adjust can be done by the mounting bracket and the rod length?
Start off adjusting #1. If you need more adjustment go to #2.

Was considering replacing sensors myself, does anyone know if they are plug and play or do they need to be adjusted after installation. Looks like and easy job. Couple of bolts and the connector.
They're plug and play and should be good to go but in case they're not adjust the sensors until you're "normal" height is at 3.04" (C-D). I'm at 3.06" so I don't know why I'm still bottoming out?

Last edited by RCsGX; 12-10-13 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 06:15 PM
ALAN553
Racer

I have a normal ride height, ie N, but lately I hear the compressor adjusting the height more frequently, when I come to a stop at a light, especially after coming off the highway...pull in the driveway, if I don't shut the car off right away I hear the compressor going. So the sensors know where the correct height is, just does not seem to be maintainiing it. I don't believe the airbags are leaking, if I leave the suspension on H at night, it is still there in the am
Old 12-10-13, 06:20 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I have a normal ride height, ie N, but lately I hear the compressor adjusting the height more frequently, when I come to a stop at a light, especially after coming off the highway...pull in the driveway, if I don't shut the car off right away I hear the compressor going. So the sensors know where the correct height is, just does not seem to be maintainiing it. I don't believe the airbags are leaking, if I leave the suspension on H at night, it is still there in the am
I see you're in Jersey. Maybe the cold is causing your bags to drop a little pressure and that's causing your compressor to come on more often? Just a guess....

Our suspensions are finicky to say the least!

Quick Reply: GX poor ride quality - rears bottom out - Problem solved