GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clicking sound 2003 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 08:33 AM
BillitZky
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking sound 2003 GX470

My 95K miles GX470 is giving a "clicking" sound coming from underneath the dash board/driver side. The "clicking" is intermittent but audible after a few miles of driving, but no alarm light display on the dash board panel. I have noticed the "clicking" on a long distance drive from the Bay Area to LA, it is a sound that is audible when the engine warms up and after a few miles of driving. The sound seems like originating from the opening and closing of a relay contact, ...being an electrical person by profession. It "dies-off" after a while then comes back again. It is annoying sometimes.
Any technical analysis as what is causing this.

Last edited by BillitZky; 07-24-17 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 11:15 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Does the speed of clicking correspond to the engine RPM?

Chip H.
Old 07-24-17, 12:35 PM
BillitZky
Rookie

Originally Posted by chiph9
Does the speed of clicking correspond to the engine RPM?

Chip H.
I do not think the clicking sound correspond to the engine RPM. The reason being was that it is audible at speed of 80mph which correspond to less than 2000rpm, and made a stopover at Coalinga reststop at 0-mph which correspond to idle of approx 600rpm and still audible. Since the clicking is not shown on the alarm dashboard, I just pushed it all the way. It is an on-and-off as you drive and cruise at a speed on the freeway.
Old 07-25-17, 09:20 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The reason I ask is it's somewhat common for the exhaust manifold to develop a leak.

Next question: You're able to hear this over the road noise? Because there's an A/C duct blend motor down there, and when they fail they'll make a clicking sound. But for it to be heard over tire/road noise - that'd be pretty bad.

Chip H.
Old 07-25-17, 09:34 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have same on my 2004 GX470, it's very intermittent and sounds like keys rattling around. I do think it may be a servo motor or something but it's not the instrument cluster. It's annoying but not anything I am worried about.
Old 07-26-17, 12:05 PM
Goosed
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Chip H said my first suspicion was exhaust manifolds. Now wondering if your in cabin filter is intermittently hitting the fan causing the clicking.

Any change when when you adjust fan speed for the AC or blower?
Old 07-27-17, 06:38 AM
moakes
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For clicking under the dash, I vote for failing servo motors. Mine still clicked even when I turned off the climate control system. It starts/stops and comes and gos and I could never figure out a pattern, and I had this problem for YEARS. You can see my description, quest and resolution here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-now-what.html
The following users liked this post:
fomck (06-09-19)
Old 07-27-17, 09:18 AM
BillitZky
Rookie

Originally Posted by levinsoy
I have same on my 2004 GX470, it's very intermittent and sounds like keys rattling around. I do think it may be a servo motor or something but it's not the instrument cluster. It's annoying but not anything I am worried about.
I agree the clicking sounds is comparable to keys rattling around and very annoying. The good thing is it does not register in the alarm "dashboard" panel which should be a safety concern driving the truck.
Old 07-27-17, 10:04 AM
BillitZky
Rookie

Originally Posted by moakes
For clicking under the dash, I vote for failing servo motors. Mine still clicked even when I turned off the climate control system. It starts/stops and comes and gos and I could never figure out a pattern, and I had this problem for YEARS. You can see my description, quest and resolution here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-now-what.html
Thanks for posting the links and threads are very informative.

Lexus dealership replaced the cracked dashboard in my truck last year 2016. I have been happy and no issues at all since then. Oh by the way, I had the "air bag deployment" alarm just a few months ago and dealership replaced the driver side buckle, thanks it was not the harness-cable under the seat, for $420 for diagnostic/parts/labor/change oil.

Now if the "clicking" sound is pointing to the failure of the servos of the AC airflow ducts, and they need to remove the dashboard to fix the problem, then I would think that this would be an expensive fix. Again, the sounds comes and goes as mentioned in the links thread. My understanding of these servo components are they regulate the dampener in the airduct to control the "airflow" out of the ducts as you adjust the hi/lo cabin temperature. But I will refer this to the dealership for resolution.
Old 08-01-17, 09:27 PM
abegeo7
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2007 GX470 and had the dash replaced because of a recall for crack. This was done maybe 4 months ago. Just a few weeks ago I noticed a tick tick (click click) sound coming from what seems like the center vent area. Initially I thought it was water bottle that was vibrating and making that sound. The sound is even there when I shut off the climate control. Like MOAKES stated it comes and goes. It is a steady tick tick sound does not change when your idle or accelerating. Let me know what you guys think it might be.
Old 08-02-17, 04:30 AM
moakes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by abegeo7
I have a 2007 GX470 and had the dash replaced because of a recall for crack. This was done maybe 4 months ago. Just a few weeks ago I noticed a tick tick (click click) sound coming from what seems like the center vent area. Initially I thought it was water bottle that was vibrating and making that sound. The sound is even there when I shut off the climate control. Like MOAKES stated it comes and goes. It is a steady tick tick sound does not change when your idle or accelerating. Let me know what you guys think it might be.
Well . . . you know what MOAKES is going to say . . .
Old 08-02-17, 04:18 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

I also get an intermittent odd noise from under dash more on the passenger side. It sounds a lot like squeaking from a hamster exercise wheel.
Old 08-02-17, 04:22 PM
moakes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NTH
I also get an intermittent odd noise from under dash more on the passenger side. It sounds a lot like squeaking from a hamster exercise wheel.
Yep, from your description I'd guess that you have failing servos. See my post and you'll see that I actually called them "my pet squirrels". https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-now-what.html but mine went on for many years of squeaking before they completely stopped working . . . pray for that and just turn up the radio
Old 08-02-17, 07:46 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

^ Thanks Moakes I'll look into this.