GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Getting 90k Service done - anything else I should do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 02:19 PM
philipf22
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting 90k Service done - anything else I should do?

I'm getting the 90k service done. Major items are Timing Belt, water pump, fluids, oil, filters, and etc. I'm also going to have them do the x-fer case and differential. Got a quote for $1056 for all of the above.

Anything else I should consider doing? Radiator hoses? Thermostat? Seems like those would be cheap insurance since I'm already in there.
Old 11-06-13, 02:38 PM
philipf22
Driver School Candidate

I'm having trouble figuring out when the x-fer and diff oils get changed. I see conflicting information out there. I don't even see it in the lexus schedule for some reason.
Old 11-06-13, 02:55 PM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DO the thermostat since you are doing the water pump. Thermo a no brainer.
Old 11-06-13, 03:02 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by philipf22
I'm having trouble figuring out when the x-fer and diff oils get changed. I see conflicting information out there. I don't even see it in the lexus schedule for some reason.
You won't see it, it's probably one of their "lifetime" oils. If you're at 90K change it. I would save the $200+ they're charging you though and do it yourself w/ some Amsoil 75w90. It's good for up to 100K miles. You don't need to jack your GX up and it'll take you 30mins if that.
Old 11-06-13, 06:30 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
You won't see it, it's probably one of their "lifetime" oils. If you're at 90K change it. I would save the $200+ they're charging you though and do it yourself w/ some Amsoil 75w90. It's good for up to 100K miles. You don't need to jack your GX up and it'll take you 30mins if that.
Rc?

What about front gear oil, did you do yours without jacking up the car? Any suggestion on pump? I used the one from autozone it fell apart.

I did mine rear differential and transfer case, waiting on engine oil change than I will do front differential. it was really easy to do, make sure you change the washers, it is bit messy and the pump to put oil on is usually junk and falls apart.

I would like to add, lube the drive shaft with Mobil 1 pink grease, 6 zerks fittings. It made a huge difference when I stop my truck, no kick or clunk.
Old 11-06-13, 07:12 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gxman1
Rc?

What about front gear oil, did you do yours without jacking up the car? Any suggestion on pump? I used the one from autozone it fell apart.
I don't think you need to lift your GX, you just have to remove the skid to get to it.

I've been using a pump I bought years ago from Amsoil. Four vehicles later and it's still going strong.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...mp/?code=G2039

I did mine rear differential and transfer case, waiting on engine oil change than I will do front differential. it was really easy to do, make sure you change the washers, it is bit messy and the pump to put oil on is usually junk and falls apart.
I have the bottles for the front diff in my garage but I'm like you, I'm going to do it at the next oil change. I also bought some trans fluid to do a power steering flush. I probably don't need it since the PO did it less than 30K miles ago.

And yeah I used all new crush washers and drain / fill plugs too.

I would like to add, lube the drive shaft with Mobil 1 pink grease, 6 zerks fittings. It made a huge difference when I stop my truck, no kick or clunk.
Good tip on the drive shaft. I ordered some Amsoil grease but forgot to grease the fittings when I did the transfer case oil change. It's on my, many things to do list.

I have some new hood struts coming in tomorrow, mine are already blown. First vehicle since I was 16 to even need new hood struts. They'll hold the hood up but if there's any movement it'll come down like a ton of bricks. I was cleaning the engine bay earlier this week and the hood came down, I was about to move my head just in time but my shop light wasn't so lucky. Somehow it got wedged in by the passenger side headlight and in the process the little catch hook bent so I couldn't open my hood from the interior hood release. I ended up using a long flat head to open my hood and I bent back the catch hook and all is good.
Old 11-07-13, 09:31 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting the 90k service done. Major items are Timing Belt, water pump, fluids, oil, filters, and etc. I'm also going to have them do the x-fer case and differential. Got a quote for $1056 for all of the above.

Anything else I should consider doing? Radiator hoses? Thermostat? Seems like those would be cheap insurance since I'm already in there.
That is cheap for all of that, are you getting yours done at a lexus dealer? I got quoted $1200 for the 90k service, and that doesn't include the water pump!

What is lame is I asked them to do the Water Pump and Thermostat at the same time, and they didn't even give me a labor discount for the Thermostat, so it is $200 for them to replace a $26 part that they pretty much have full access to when doing the timing belt....

When they say they are doing the "Timing Belt" make sure they are alos replacing the tensioner and idler pullys. My dealer just lists the Timing Belt part number when doing the Timing Belt Replacement, so I think that is all they are replacing.
Old 11-08-13, 06:31 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

I was intimidated by zerk fitting, never done it, it was easy. Definitely do the front differential drain and refill, I used mobil 1 synthetic with LS (Limited Slip) on all 3, front were the dirtiest and only about quart came out, I filled it with 1 1/2 quart till started to drip from top.

Do you know what the FSM says about fromt Diff? How much fluid on drain and refill?

Last edited by gxman1; 11-08-13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 12:21 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

3 pints for front diff and transfer case 6.3 pints rear diff
Old 11-09-13, 10:24 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALAN553
That doesnt make sense to me, I put in 1 1/2 quart which equals to 3 pints ONLY in front differential.

You are saying I should of put 3 pints which equal to 1 1/2 quart in BOTH the transfer case and front differential?

EDIT: Searched more and Mann777 had a post up it is infact 1 1/2 quarts ONLY in front differential. So, you would more for transfer case.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-tutorial.html

Last edited by gxman1; 11-09-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-09-13, 10:34 AM
wombat55
Rookie

Default Where did you get that quote?

Where in IL do you live and where did you get the quote for $1056 for the 90000 mile service plus water pump? I live in northern suburbs of Chicago and just crossed 90000 miles. My first quote from my Lexus dealer was $1750. Was going to start calling around but would like to call your place if it is in Chicagoland.
Old 11-09-13, 10:37 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

That doesnt make sense to me, I put in 1 1/2 quart which equals to 3 pints ONLY in front differential.

You are saying I should of put 3 pints which equal to 1 1/2 quart in BOTH the transfer case and front differential?

EDIT: Searched more and Mann777 had a post up it is infact 1 1/2 quarts ONLY in front differential. So, you would more for transfer case.

Front Diff: 1.5qts.
Transfer: 1.5qts.
Rear Diff: 3.15qts.
Old 11-09-13, 10:44 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

If you are changing transfer case too...it take 3 pints also...pretty sure 3 pints =1 1/2 qts.
Old 11-09-13, 10:54 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

If you are changing transfer case too...it take 3 pints also...pretty sure 3 pints =1 1/2 qts.
It get's confusing having to convert. It's easier to refer to oil capacity in quarts. Everyone knows what a quart looks like.

When I think of pints, I think of
Old 11-09-13, 10:55 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Thanks Alan, you wrote "3 pints for front diff and transfer case" threw me off, because I thought both will take combined of 3 pints.

Quick Reply: Getting 90k Service done - anything else I should do?