GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HELP! DAC downhill Assist Control Keeps Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 03:40 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX

:
Question where is the Skid Control ECU is located. I dont have the shop manual. I am going off your PDF file to test the voltage.

Thanks
Old 11-04-13, 05:50 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
Question where is the Skid Control ECU is located. I dont have the shop manual. I am going off your PDF file to test the voltage.

Thanks
See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
32-9 Components.pdf (79.8 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by RCsGX; 11-04-13 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 05:55 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Added one more PDF above....
Old 11-04-13, 06:03 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Added one more PDF above....
Thank you, will look at near the fuse box 2, I wish I had the Manual PDF for 2004 Lexus. By the way do you have a diagram underneath the H L N, I am thinking the switch underneath is loose, and it is not sending the signal it is in L position.

Last edited by gxman1; 11-04-13 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 06:51 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thank you, will look at near the fuse box 2, I wish I had the Manual PDF for 2004 Lexus. By the way do you have a diagram underneath the H L N, I am thinking the switch underneath is loose, and it is not sending the signal it is in L position.
I can't find any upclose pages. I'm attaching all I could find regarding DAC.

If you need any wiring schematics let me know and I'll see what I can find.
Attached Files
DAC.pdf (630.3 KB, 448 views)
DAC light does not come on.pdf (68.5 KB, 342 views)
DAC light remains on.pdf (77.8 KB, 504 views)
L4 Signal Malfunction.pdf (83.3 KB, 1256 views)
Old 11-05-13, 01:59 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Mann777,

Just finished doing the steps you suggested. Still the same issue.

Recap: The light stays off, until gear in L and shift it to D, afterwards press the DAC switch and continues to flash. I have taken it for a ride for several minutes still keeps flashing. Recently I tried in San Fran hill and still flashes and picks up speed.

By the way I also saw in Fuse box 1 there is relay or something with DAC written on it, I didn't touch that I just followed your instructions for fuse box 2.

Thanks
Just want to know are you depressing the brake pedal while the system gets activated, or have I missed what you are trying to do.
Old 11-05-13, 07:19 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mann777
Just want to know are you depressing the brake pedal while the system gets activated, or have I missed what you are trying to do.
Good question? Here is what I am doing at the moment, and it may seem I am doing it incorrectly after reading DAC Pdf file from RC'a post.

I am in the driveway, and pressing the switch and it blinks, I have to apply the brake to do it. I think it is cancelling the DAC and it is blinking.

Anyone reading this, try this when you are parked, car started, shifter in N and the H N L to L, and than shifter to D position, afterwards press DAC switch. The switch should blink and did it turn solid?

The problem is if you do this in the driveway you have to press the brake.
If you do this on a flat street without pressing gas or break, it still flashes.
At the moment I cant find a hilly area to try it.

Please let me know, can you looked at the attached file, it was sent from RC, I made comments on it in RED dotted and solid boxed.
Attached Files
DAC.pdf (633.6 KB, 484 views)
Old 11-05-13, 08:06 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Good question? Here is what I am doing at the moment, and it may seem I am doing it incorrectly after reading DAC Pdf file from RC'a post.

I am in the driveway, and pressing the switch and it blinks, I have to apply the brake to do it. I think it is cancelling the DAC and it is blinking.

Anyone reading this, try this when you are parked, car started, shifter in N and the H N L to L, and than shifter to D position, afterwards press DAC switch. The switch should blink and did it turn solid?

The problem is if you do this in the driveway you have to press the brake.
If you do this on a flat street without pressing gas or break, it still flashes.
At the moment I cant find a hilly area to try it.

Please let me know, can you looked at the attached file, it was sent from RC, I made comments on it in RED dotted and solid boxed.
I just tried and it does light up solid. Here's what I did.
  • Foot on the brake
  • Started the GX
  • Transmission in N
  • Transfer case in L
  • Transmission in D
  • Pressed the DAC switch, it immediately lit up solid no blinking what so ever
  • Removed foot from the brake
  • DAC engaged and slowly took me down my driveway

The DAC will cancel once you're using it if you hit the brake, just like cruise control.

EDIT:
Sewell transfer case indicator switch, also see attached PDF.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html
Attached Files
indicator switches.pdf (784.9 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by RCsGX; 11-05-13 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 10:06 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

RC,

Cant thank you enough. I really appreciate you doing this. I just came back from testing myself, I took it off road decline and would not work, tried it with no brakes at all and other variants, including the one you wrote.

I have a question, how fast the truck was going when DAC started to brake for you? What speed was it maintaining?

I just tried and it does light up solid. Here's what I did.
  • Foot on the brake
  • Started the GX
  • Transmission in N
  • Transfer case in L
  • Transmission in D
  • Pressed the DAC switch, it immediately lit up solid no blinking what so ever
  • Removed foot from the brake
  • DAC engaged and slowly took me down my driveway

The DAC will cancel once you're using it if you hit the brake, just like cruise control.

EDIT:
Sewell transfer case indicator switch
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html
Old 11-05-13, 11:18 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

RC,

Cant thank you enough. I really appreciate you doing this. I just came back from testing myself, I took it off road decline and would not work, tried it with no brakes at all and other variants, including the one you wrote.

I have a question, how fast the truck was going when DAC started to brake for you? What speed was it maintaining?
Not a problem.

The DAC kicked in within 1-2 seconds after i let my foot off of the brake and I was probably going 1-2MPH if that? The speedo needle barely moved past 0 and was not even midway between 0-5MPH. Worked the same way in reverse too.
Old 11-05-13, 05:35 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Thumbs up

RC, Mann777

Found the issue. Rc thanks for all the attachments I requested, it has helped. I found out it is a common problem with the switch, most GX owner rarely use the switch, so they arent aware of it.

If you recall from my earlier post, I attached a pdf with my writing on it asking for "where can I find the Transfer Indicator L4 Switch"? Well that was it, I didnt follow the troubleshoot and took a quick 2 minute diagnostic. Pictures are attached below. Without jacking the car I crawled underneath the car, found out it was very easy to remove the switch harness jumped it with paper clip, went inside the truck and no more flashing light!! Worked perfectly, jumping tricked the ECM indicating transfer case was in L position.

NOTICE IN 2ND PHOTO I UNPLUGGED IT AND PUT A PAPER CLIP.

The part is around $57 and the part # is SWITCH, TRANSFER IND - 84222-35080
There are 2 switches on the transfer case DRIVER SIDE and this is closest toward the engine, the plug color is DARK BLUE.

NOW THE QUESTION IS HOW DO I REMOVE THE ACTUAL SWITCH ANY INSTRUCTIONS?
I know I need 1 1/16 Crow feet wrench or 27MM it is a tight spot, I dont know if it open it.

It is easily seen when on your back but hard to get to, an instructions will be awesome.

keyword: DAC Downhill Assist Control Down Hill Assist Control Flashing blinking
Attached Thumbnails HELP! DAC downhill Assist Control Keeps Flashing-car-1.jpg   HELP! DAC downhill Assist Control Keeps Flashing-car-dac-switch.jpg   HELP! DAC downhill Assist Control Keeps Flashing-transfer-switch-8422235080.jpg  
Attached Files
DAC.pdf (633.6 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by gxman1; 11-05-13 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 09:15 PM
mann777

You need to pry it out the trim panels on either side of the Gear Shifter first. These need to be done carefully with a some kinda putty knife and taped on the edges so that you don't damage the trim panels or the console. First Target the Left Side Panel Image 1 and then the Right Side. Only thing you need to be careful about is to disassembly of the center console. Start by removing the trim piece to the left of the shifter ****. . Insert a putty knife in the crack just in front of the parking brake lever and gently pry up. There are three clips under the trim piece that need to be pulled out of the console. It does take a lot of force to remove them.
Next you target the panel which is shrouding the DAC switches. Which would be visible ( clips ) to you from both sides ( view below to get an idea ). And pry them out.

I have a feeling you may have to pry the wood panel around the centre console and then reach down to the Coin Tray and the Cigarette Lighter part. But before you go there, you want to do the first part, that would save lot of time. Also the GX clips around the trims are pretty hard pressed, so need a extra bit of pressure to pry them out. Good luck let us know how it goes
Attached Thumbnails HELP! DAC downhill Assist Control Keeps Flashing-left-side-panel.jpg   HELP! DAC downhill Assist Control Keeps Flashing-right-side-panel.jpg  

Last edited by mann777; 11-05-13 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 09:47 PM
mann777

Ok here is what I found from the manual, for the Flashing lights, So I assume after reading the DAC operation the switch flashing is not the part which is faulty. But Check out the manual what it says and the flashing reason. So before you do the switch replacement. I may be wrong here after you have done all the troubleshooting. But the flashing of the switch occurs for a reason as that what the manual says.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! DAC downhill Assist Control Keeps Flashing-dac-operation.jpg  
Old 11-05-13, 10:58 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

The manual doesnt apply in this situation. It is not being used frequently. And when I jump the switch, all it did was send a signal the gear is in L, thats all. And the light was solid all working fine.

I have a question on the center console removal, do you think i can reach the bottom of truck from opening to open the 27 mm switch, since the actual switch is on the driver side on the top of transfer case underneath the truck. I think there may be not enough room to reach thru the hole. Just curious why you suggested this method instead of trying from the bottom.

Thanks

Originally Posted by mann777
Ok here is what I found from the manual, for the Flashing lights, So I assume after reading the DAC operation the switch flashing is not the part which is faulty. But Check out the manual what it says and the flashing reason. So before you do the switch replacement. I may be wrong here after you have done all the troubleshooting. But the flashing of the switch occurs for a reason as that what the manual says.

Last edited by gxman1; 11-05-13 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 11:46 PM
mann777

Ok you are talking of the L4 detection switch While I was talking of the DAC SW on the pedestal itself. But My question to you how did you determine which switch is faulty could be either one. Either the DAC switch on the pedestal or the one L4 Detection Switch. You may need to check the resistance to confirm the faulty one. Yes accessibility for the L4 is from below, but definetely cramped up leading to the ECM.

Last edited by mann777; 11-06-13 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP! DAC downhill Assist Control Keeps Flashing