ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009-218/)
-   -   Any Problems (Quality, etc) yet? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/71289-any-problems-quality-etc-yet.html)

D4SSWME 01-19-03 04:29 PM

Any Problems (Quality, etc) yet?

Those that already have their GX, any one experience any problems (quality, etc)

D4SSWME 01-19-03 06:04 PM

Originally posted by modelaford
Paint is terrible, they tried buffing it out and burned thru the fron bumber.:mad:
what color is your GX?

Knicksfan 01-19-03 08:30 PM

I'm pretty happy

I have had a few issues - but so far they are minor and my dealer has been very responsive.

My biggest gripe is my 14mpg (see my other posts).

Other minor issues (so far) - its a little noisier (rattles, etc.) than I want. Dealer is addressing. We'll see.

Recently while wife was watching DVD I was unable to turn on radio. Had to turn off car ("reboot?") before sound system would come back on. Haven't dealt with that one yet - gonna try to recreate first before I return to dealer.

Kash 01-20-03 04:22 PM

no problems so far with mine... damm 14mpg sounds really low..

modelaford 01-20-03 06:20 PM

Kash, My fuel cmmputer shows 13.7 but only have 50 miles on it in real cold wheather, city driving,These engines are tight and this is not a true test of milage. others I have had never really got super milage till over the 10k mark. I would think this engine would get 18-19 on the open road. My RX300 has averaged 17.9, city , cold, the last month but is well broke in lol.

Knicksfan 01-20-03 07:01 PM

Last tank was better

I hope you are right....my last tank netted 16.4 (vs 14mpg) with a bit more highway than my usual. I hope I am moving in the right direction.
:rolleyes:

Kash 01-20-03 07:42 PM

right now the trip computer says 17.1 mpg which isnt bad... i was in my friends rx and his said 18.8.. i know this isnt a true estimate but so far i am just under half a tank and i have gone ~ 160 miles

rhino 01-20-03 10:16 PM

GX 470 Quality Issues

Nothing major. Actually the car has done a incredible job up to this point. I went off roading this past weekend, up and down 45 degree dirt roads up to at least 1000 ft high. The GX is Incredible in low gear, both the DAC and sport mode worked remarkably well. Great suspension response. Very solid. This SUV is a very capable vehicle. Not quite a military HMMVW, but Ive never had a HMMVW that had leather and Levinson.

Couple of things, quite minor that I have not yet adressed with dealer, but will do so shortly:

1. Voice Commands for Disc change on voice recognition system does not work. It states "cd inoperable" even though the cd player works fine. ML system is outstanding. Voice control is a bit shaky.

2. The headrests have a lot of play even when you lock them in. Not like BMW/MB headrests at all. To much up/down mvmt in them.

3. The shift knob turns right and left and can be screwed off too easily. The shift knob especially should be stiff and not easily unscrewed.

4. On the navigation system--even if you set the voice to zero volume on the display menu setup it tends to reset to the default when the car is shut down and restarted, so you still get that voice.

Thats all for now. As I said its not as bad as some of the things I had to deal with on my Benz. I guess no car is perfect.

Rhino

bgomez 01-21-03 01:32 AM

1350 miles thus far and no problems. I am averaging 17 mpg which is far more than I expected. I felt like the car was pulling to the right. I checked tire pressures and the right front was 1.5 PSI lower than the left so I made it 1.5 psi higher than the left and it fixed the pull. Took it in for it's 1000 mile check up and mentioned the pulling problem so they cross rotated the tires and now it tracks true! So far this car has exceeded my expectations; something not even my previous M5 or current 996TT has done.

I have been so shocked by the great service. Never have I had such great service from BMW or MB; only Porsche service can compare. Everyone from porter to cashier to parts guy to service guy to sales guy,"nice car", "how do you like your new car?", "great car!" I wish Lexus would make a serious sports car with about 400-450 hp. I would be all over it.
Bill

ragpaoa 01-21-03 03:50 AM

Some Minor issues, maybe ..

I've been browsing around this forum for some time now. I haven't posted anything until now. I know once I started posting, I would end up spending a lot of time on this forum, but what the heck, better now then later.
Anyway, I believe I was one of the first one on the block with my GX 470. Picked up the first Sand Dollar Pearl, Ivory interior, fully loaded back in Dec 19, 2002. I was 30 something on the waiting list at Longo Lexus in Southern California, but the original buyer pulled back (didn't show up) so I snagged it. Of course, I ended up paying full price, but no regrets.
For comparison, I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero. Although underpowered, the Montero is an awesome offroader (my wife and I are avid outdoors folks), and it's built like a tank.
Currently, I have 2500 miles on the GX 470 and it's been a joy so far. Here is a list of things that I'm experiencing:

1. At around 1800 - 2000 rpms, does anyone notice a slight harshness in the engine, as if the engine is struggling? But past 2000 rpms, it's smooth. Asked the dealer and they claim there is nothing wrong.
2. Body cladding on both the driver and passenger doors; mine is beginning to come loose at the front of each cladding. Dealer says clips are broken, but I checked and I don't see any places where the clips go. Anyway, they ordered new clips, but since it's a brand new car, they are having a hard time ordering it. I ask if anyone can check to see if their cladding show the same symptoms.
3. Getting around 17.6 mpg driving city/highway. I drive from San Diego to LA often since I have offices at both locations. The GX 470 tends to be greatly affectd by crosswinds, but otherwise it's smooth and powerful.
4. Am I the only one with Dunlop tires? All the other GX out there have the Bridgestone Dueler tires. Are the Dunlop Grandtreks any good off road?

In the next few weeks I will be taking the GX 470 offroading at the Anza Borrego Desert, along with my Montero. I will keep everyone posted on how the GX 470 fairs in the rough stuff (if I get enough nerve to take a 50K+ vehicle out there.

Thanks.

2003 GX 470
Purchased Dec 19, 2002
Sand Dollar Pearl, Ivory Interior, Fully Loaded.

dwf 01-21-03 03:16 PM

I agree with you on the crosswind problem. Brutal.

I bought my GX here in Dallas/Ft Worth and it has BridgeStones although I have seen others at the same dealership with Dunlops.

Haven't noticed any engine harshness but have noticed that it sometimes takes about 3 seconds to start. About one out of every ten times.

Have a some squeaking coming from the drivers seat (I know go on a diet) It is becoming annoying. No other rattles yet.

Don't like the armrests, too small.

The voice activation is risky. It is about 75% effective.

Also I wish I could disable the "I Agree" button on the nav system. What a beating. What about signing a waiver and filing it with Lexus thereby forever freeing them from liability. Oh well.

Overall nothing really major yet at 1500 miles.

ragpaoa 01-21-03 03:25 PM

Body Cladding

DWF,

Can you check to see if your body cladding on both the driver and passenger side door is on solid? The cladding kinda hangs down below the door, and can easily be pulled off. I think this is an engineering oversight. One can easily kick the under-hang and pop the cladding off. It happened to me the first time when I was in hurry, got out of the car, accidently kicked the bottom part of the cladding, and easily popped the front part off.

modelaford 01-22-03 04:27 PM

Ragpaou, Are you talking about the rubber strip under each door? If you are, I checked mine today and they are held on by 4 phillips screws and a full length bracket. :rolleyes:

bgomez 01-23-03 01:12 AM

Ragpaoa,
Now that you have mentioned it I have paid closer attention to the engine and I do feel the harshness at around 1800-2000 rpm. It almost feels as if you are traveling into a head wind. Hopefully it will go away as the engine breaks in.
Bill

ragpaoa 01-24-03 07:19 PM

Boddy Cladding

modelaford,

No, I'm describing the whole body cladding itself. The rubber strip us attached to it. At least 1/8 of the cladding and and rubber strip hangs down below the door. One can easily kick this portion by accident (which was my case) and pop the cladding off in the front.
So far no one seems to have this problem, so it could just be an oversight on my particular vehicle.
Thanks for checking.