GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Instrument cluster back lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 09:25 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Instrument cluster back lighting?

Hello everyone.

On the lower left side of my speedometer, there's a spot that looks just a hair darker than the rest of the gauge cluster. I can't really tell if this is just how it is, or if its something that's gone out, but i'de like to take a closer look at it. The needles are all still 100% though, which is good.

Now can anyone tell me, are the back lights in the gauge clusters on these just standard replaceable bulbs, or are they made of those cathode tube/electroluminescent parts like the older LS400 gauges are? I haven't ordered my Factory Service manuals yet, so i'm still totally in the dark on the..."schematics" of this truck.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-13, 07:33 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They're LEDs. You'll have to open the cluster and solder a new LED back onto the board.

Do a search on here. I don't know the post off hand but several people have complained it looks darker around the 10mph spot.
Old 09-04-13, 01:26 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Yup, that's how mine is. If that's just how they are, then perhaps ill just leave it alone!
Old 09-04-13, 01:31 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Yup, that's how mine is. If that's just how they are, then perhaps ill just leave it alone!
That's not how it's suppose to be. You have a burnt out LED. I wouldn't worry about it but if it bugs you and if you're handy with a soldering iron it wouldn't be hard at all to fix. You just need to find out what type of LED it takes.
Old 09-04-13, 02:35 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
That's not how it's suppose to be. You have a burnt out LED. I wouldn't worry about it but if it bugs you and if you're handy with a soldering iron it wouldn't be hard at all to fix. You just need to find out what type of LED it takes.
There is a video floating around here somewhere where the guy changed all the LED's to blue... I think. I remember him commenting that it took forever
Old 09-04-13, 02:59 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

If you switch your whole cluster over I'm sure it will take a long time since their SMD (surface mount) LEDs but one or two is a piece of cake.
Old 09-04-13, 03:25 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you switch your whole cluster over I'm sure it will take a long time since their SMD (surface mount) LEDs but one or two is a piece of cake.
Absolutely... I didn't mean to suggest that replacing one would be a chore.

Just telling stories
Old 09-04-13, 07:49 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Groovy. I have many a times resoldered new bulbs into circuit boards. When you own an escalade for a year, you get VERY good at it! Ill have to look up and see where to source dimmable LEDs
Old 09-04-13, 11:53 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Groovy. I have many a times resoldered new bulbs into circuit boards. When you own an escalade for a year, you get VERY good at it! Ill have to look up and see where to source dimmable LEDs
LEDs are dimmed with the use of a PWM, resistors etc. so any LED will work.

I use to get a lot of parts from Mouser. Once you find exactly what size / type LED(s) you need check them out. I'm pretty sure you'll need a SMD. If so take your time since they're really really tiny! Mouser sells name brand LED's so you don't have to worry about them frying out months down the road like some of the cheap China LEDs do.

Good luck!

LEDs
http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronic...ers/_/N-8usfd/

SMD LEDs
http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronic...-SMD/_/N-b1bb1
Old 09-10-13, 06:38 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

+1 near the 10mph area, that's just strange
Old 09-12-13, 05:42 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Does any one have a DIY video or instructions on removing the speedo cluster so as to replace the LED
Mine is also a bit darker in the 10 MPH area then the rest.
Old 09-12-13, 05:59 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrblister
Does any one have a DIY video or instructions on removing the speedo cluster so as to replace the LED
Mine is also a bit darker in the 10 MPH area then the rest.
I haven't looked but if it's anything like my old Tundra DC there should be 2 phillips head screws up top of the cluster. You remove those and pull the cluster out and unplug the harnesses in back to remove it. Once you do that there should be white pressure clips all around the back of the cluster cluster and clear pressure clips around the front plastic. Once you get those apart it should open right up.

EDIT:

Yep there are.

Last edited by RCsGX; 09-12-13 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 06:15 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I haven't looked but if it's anything like my old Tundra DC there should be 2 phillips head screws up top of the cluster. You remove those and pull the cluster out and unplug the harnesses in back to remove it. Once you do that there should be white pressure clips all around the back of the cluster cluster and clear pressure clips around the front plastic. Once you get those apart it should open right up.

EDIT:

Yep there are.
Thank you. Is it pretty stright forward to replace the led in question . I have solder skills would also need to know where to get the LED . How many harness connectors on back of cluster to remove
Old 09-12-13, 06:20 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thank you. Is it pretty stright forward to replace the led in question . I have solder skills would also need to know where to get the LED .
You need to open it up and look at what type of LEDs are being used, then go to mouser and compare. More than likely they're going to be tiny SMD LEDs. They're not hard to replace just a pain since they're so small to work with.

LEDs

SMD LEDs

THow many harness connectors on back of cluster to remove
Probably 2 or 3. They're just large plugs like the back of the radio. Nothing major.

EDIT:
Here's some SMDs from an '07 Camry gauge cluster to give you an idea on how small the LEDs are.

Last edited by RCsGX; 09-12-13 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 06:38 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default led

Thanks I may pull the cluster and see which led is out. Is it possible to pull cluster out a bit and leave it connected to the harness to see if I can find the burned out led. I guess I just carefully unsolder with a suction bulb and then make sure i get the polairty right when going back in. If I cant gain access with the harness attached could i apply a 12 volts test battery to the errant led while its soldered in place to prove its out or are the led reduced to 5 volt on the boards

You need to open it up and look at what type of LEDs are being used, then go to mouser and compare. More than likely they're going to be tiny SMD LEDs. They're not hard to replace just a pain since they're so small to work with.

LEDs

SMD LEDs

Probably 2 or 3. They're just large plugs like the back of the radio. Nothing major.

EDIT:
Here's some SMDs from an '07 Camry gauge cluster to give you an idea on how small the LEDs are.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster back lighting?