GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2003 GX470 - How to pull the radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 09:13 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 GX470 - How to pull the radio?

I've got to install a kit which requires me to pull the radio on my GX. I can't seem to find any DIYs around to show how to go about doing it without damaging a bunch of things. Anyone know where I can find a DIY?

Also, what tools are needed? I need to get myself some tools specific to pulling stuff like this--I know they make specific tools which make things easier. Was thinking of hitting Harbor Freight as I'll need these things (maybe) 3 times in my life so no need to get super expensive stuff.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-13, 11:47 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
I've got to install a kit which requires me to pull the radio on my GX. I can't seem to find any DIYs around to show how to go about doing it without damaging a bunch of things. Anyone know where I can find a DIY?

Also, what tools are needed? I need to get myself some tools specific to pulling stuff like this--I know they make specific tools which make things easier. Was thinking of hitting Harbor Freight as I'll need these things (maybe) 3 times in my life so no need to get super expensive stuff.

Thanks.
Here is a quick Video... it's not professional but you can easily see what needs to happen. If you don't like this one, there are many more online.

As for the removal tools, like you mentioned, they are very useful and can be picked up at just about any automotive store.

Cheers!
Old 09-02-13, 11:59 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Thanks. I've been unable to find anything.

I just wish he wouldn't have already had everything loose so I could see where the pressure fittings are to remove the stuff around the radio.

I appreciate the video!
Old 09-02-13, 12:17 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Thanks. I've been unable to find anything.

I just wish he wouldn't have already had everything loose so I could see where the pressure fittings are to remove the stuff around the radio.

I appreciate the video!
I'm with you... I hate that!

I took mine out using this video and I found the pressure to be fairly light. I had read that some were terribly tight so I was a little concerned. I used a round dowel to pry out the side covers from the bottom and that worked very well. After that, it was very easy.

As far as the tools go, I see you are in the states so I think you nailed it with Harbor Freight...
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html

Good Luck!
Old 09-02-13, 12:20 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
I'm with you... I hate that!

I took mine out using this video and I found the pressure to be fairly light. I had read that some were terribly tight so I was a little concerned. I used a round dowel to pry out the side covers from the bottom and that worked very well. After that, it was very easy.

As far as the tools go, I see you are in the states so I think you nailed it with Harbor Freight...
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html

Good Luck!
Thanks for the link on their site. I plan to (hopefully) tackle this next weekend. I was just going to run down to the store (we have one near here).

I'm just afraid of breaking something while trying to remove stuff.
Old 09-02-13, 01:29 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

I'm just afraid of breaking something while trying to remove stuff.
Yes... that's a very bad feeling!