ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009-218/)
-   -   2006 GX470 Intermittent VSC Off, ABS Lights On (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/706900-2006-gx470-intermittent-vsc-off-abs-lights-on.html)

GX121guy 08-25-13 05:18 PM

2006 GX470 Intermittent VSC Off, ABS Lights On

When I am first starting up a cold engine (in 75 deg. F. morning), I get the lights coming on for VSC Off, and ABS Off. When I drive in forward or reverse, the ABS on the right front side starts operating in rapid fire fashion and the car pulls left. There is quite a lot of noise form the ABS operation. Then,as the wheels turn for a few minutes, the lights go out and the car brakes normally. Then it goes into an ABS Off mode and all I have is manual brakes. The first garage (non-Lexus) says it was a sensor in the right front wheel hub that was coated with "gunk" and grease that was obstructing signals to the ABS system. He cleaned it for $30 and it seemed OK for 1/2 a day until the whole sequence started up again. What is it? I don't have a Lexus dealer within 2-hours of home. I do have a Toyota mega-dealer. What do you recommend?

Booyah 08-25-13 06:04 PM

Sounds like what mine did going into Man brakes which are hardley non! Im afraid if Im right you gonna need a whole new Brake booster/ABS unit and its cheaper to get the whole unit than to do in pieces trust me. Cost is about 2400 bucks if its that part. I would take to lexus dealer and have them look at it cause its an accident waiting to happen when it goes into man mode!!!

GX121guy 08-26-13 04:50 AM

Thanks for the insight. Wish me luck. Headed for Toyota dealer this a.m. No Lexus guy for 150 miles.

Crispy3M 08-26-13 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by GX121guy (Post 8108287)
Thanks for the insight. Wish me luck. Headed for Toyota dealer this a.m. No Lexus guy for 150 miles.

Good luck & please let us know the verdict.

Follow up is the key on these forums :)

Cheers!

Chris

GX121guy 08-26-13 12:24 PM

Well, a visit to my Toyota dealer this a.m. uncovered the following information. The right front axle and bearing they replaced within the last 4-6 weeks had its seals grind away to nothing, except for one small piece of plastic found in the bearing. They deduced that seal failure was interfering with the ABS sensor at the right front wheel and was causing the intermittent ABS system activation. The clunking and grinding noises were from the seal-less axle rubbing the rim. The axle was a Toyota warranted assembly. The ABS brake sensor was undamaged. I had to pay for the replacement labor. Repair cost - $330!! Whew! I hope that is the last of it.

Crispy3M 08-26-13 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by GX121guy (Post 8108986)
Well, a visit to my Toyota dealer this a.m. uncovered the following information. The right front axle and bearing they replaced within the last 4-6 weeks had its seals grind away to nothing, except for one small piece of plastic found in the bearing. They deduced that seal failure was interfering with the ABS sensor at the right front wheel and was causing the intermittent ABS system activation. The clunking and grinding noises were from the seal-less axle rubbing the rim. The axle was a Toyota warranted assembly. The ABS brake sensor was undamaged. I had to pay for the replacement labor. Repair cost - $330!! Whew! I hope that is the last of it.

Good deal!

Looks like you dodged a bullet... LOL!

Thanks for the follow up!!!

Chris

Booyah 08-26-13 01:29 PM

Good deal--But why would you have to Pay anything when you just had it done and only a month old??

GX121guy 09-02-13 04:44 AM

The fault was in the part, not the labor.

mrblister 09-02-13 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by GX121guy (Post 8119538)
The fault was in the part, not the labor.

I think the dealer is culpable for some if not all of the labor. Lexus dealers will not install any parts unless purchased there. They supplied a factory part. The factory part failed why should you have to pay labor twice. I would think there is a lot of wiggle room here, At the very least a customer credit for the future?? A little talk with the powers that be should be taken.