GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 12:48 AM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had my front shocks replaced on my 2006 GX470 (156k miles).

There weren't any major issues other than a slight leak on one but I decided to replace both. That fix along with a front brake job (new rotors/pads) ran $1500
Old 06-04-16, 08:50 PM
patineto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Range Rover classic (95' The last of the "Good ones" many people will say) come back loud and clear..

We got the truck with one leaky bag and bumm, OME 2" taller coils and springs right away, unless the truck was loaded, like 5 Chubby persons and a bunch of plywood on the roof loaded, it was like have no suspension, horrible.

Later I try less aggressive coils and keep the shock, much better ride quality but much to soft if i put one of my motorcycles on the hitch rack..

Last version, the softer springs combine with a pair of "Limiting" airbags (Good year, more Ford pick up truck than range rover, but hey they work well and only when you need them.

Only one problem, I did not take care of sealing the compressor airlines so the internals were ruin (no big deal they are millions of then, almost no land rover/range rover used them anyway..

Today I need the most supple suspension possible because I suffered a silly fall and now I have seven fused vertebrates, no Joke pillow soft is the requirement..

Last edited by patineto; 06-04-16 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 10:41 AM
gbrowndsl
Driver School Candidate

Figured I would post my experience here, 04 GX with 155k on the odo, been a flawless vehicle. Last few months noticed a rough ride for a few minutes while starting the car as the air bags did their thing, note that ride height was normal. Then it just locked up full stiff in the rear, again ride height normal and would not go up or down with the control. No dash lights.

Took it in to dealer, diagnosed leaking air bags and replaced for $1,400 or so. Problem solved and GX rides good as new.
Old 09-01-16, 02:37 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very fine cracks similar to dry rot present a leaking bag at certain times based on the position, and if the "crack" is covered up by the base. Put on H and crawl under rear and you will hear the pssssst.

Amazon has bags (Arnott??) for $85.99. Genuine Lexus OEM for 160-170 each from Lexus.

Place a jack to hold the body up, and a jack to lift the rear wheel off the ground. Remove the wheel. Unclip the air line which will release the pressure from the bag. Reach up and pull the clip from the top of the bag and pull the bag out out. Replacement is just as easy. Requires no tools other than the jacks and the lug wrench. Takes 30 minutes a side, and 20 of that is the jacking/wheel removal!
Good for another 10 years!!

Last edited by bbrowncods; 09-01-16 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-02-16, 12:58 PM
JBedell
Driver School Candidate

I posted this question on another thread but thought this thread to be more appropriate so sorry for anyone seeing this twice.

I have an 05 GX with !54k miles. Replaced drivers side rear airbag earlier this year. You could see the lean to the left. It has be running flawlessly since...until yesterday. Now the systems doesn't appear to be working at all. No air, leaks, leveling or anything. Maybe the pump simply quit. Is there something I can do to test this? I've checked all electrical, relay and fuses to no avail. Its sitting on the bottom and isn't drivable that way.
Old 09-02-16, 02:02 PM
gbrowndsl
Driver School Candidate

With the engine on and hitting the height level buttons you get no compressor noise from the rear of the vehicle? If so, sounds like a good place to start.
Old 09-06-16, 09:22 AM
JBedell
Driver School Candidate

Correct...I get no response, noise or anything. Compressor is gone?
Old 09-06-16, 12:13 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I know you said you checked fuses, etc. But did you put a voltmeter on the air compressor leads and have someone change the height from Lo to High? (have a pair of jackstands under there for safety)

Chip H.
Old 09-11-16, 08:34 AM
gbrowndsl
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like compressor is done if fuses etc. are all fine.
Old 04-07-17, 03:07 PM
EJMEYERCO
Driver School Candidate

The exact same problem on my 2003 GX470 with 150,000 miles. Last week after parking the car in the garage I heard an air leak coming from the rear right. In approximately 2-3 minutes the entire back end was lowered. I took it back out for a drive and the compressor would fill the lines again but the same thing would happen after it was parked, the air would leak out. However, there were a few times that I would park it and it wouldn't air out. I took a look under the car and was obvious it was coming from the air spring assembly. After going back and forth with replacing the air spring assemble with coils, I decided to take a chance and buy the 2 new air spring assemblies off Amazon. Link
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY8EMWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY8EMWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for $200. I bought both but only installed the failing side. I will hold on to the other one until it goes out. Lexus wanted $1,600 for one side.
Simple Install
Remember
1 - Take the top clip out with long needle nose pliers. After you take the tire off, you can see the clip between the frame and fender wall. Pulls right out
2 - To remove the existing air line from the old air spring assembly, I used the tip of a caulking tube slit by the middle to go over the air line. Simply put it on the line and push in to the fitting and it will release the air line. You can also buy the Special Service Tool for around $60 but the caulking tip works great.
3 - The new air spring assembly comes with a new fitting where the air line plugs in. It also comes with the new O-rings and plate already installed. So this is plug and play
4 - When re-installing the new air spring, have someone help you hold it up to install the airline in the fitting. The space is very tight and the air line is very short.
5 - It took approximately 1.5 hours to do one side.

Rides great again. I am glad I stuck with the air ride instead of swapping for the coil kit. Good luck everyone and hopefully this saves someone money.
Old 05-29-17, 05:50 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info on how to change out the bags. Did you have to jack the rear axle (rear end) up and down to install the bag. Or was the whole rear end on jackstand and compressed during the whole removal and installation?

Originally Posted by EJMEYERCO
The exact same problem on my 2003 GX470 with 150,000 miles. Last week after parking the car in the garage I heard an air leak coming from the rear right. In approximately 2-3 minutes the entire back end was lowered. I took it back out for a drive and the compressor would fill the lines again but the same thing would happen after it was parked, the air would leak out. However, there were a few times that I would park it and it wouldn't air out. I took a look under the car and was obvious it was coming from the air spring assembly. After going back and forth with replacing the air spring assemble with coils, I decided to take a chance and buy the 2 new air spring assemblies off Amazon. Link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $200. I bought both but only installed the failing side. I will hold on to the other one until it goes out. Lexus wanted $1,600 for one side.
Simple Install
Remember
1 - Take the top clip out with long needle nose pliers. After you take the tire off, you can see the clip between the frame and fender wall. Pulls right out
2 - To remove the existing air line from the old air spring assembly, I used the tip of a caulking tube slit by the middle to go over the air line. Simply put it on the line and push in to the fitting and it will release the air line. You can also buy the Special Service Tool for around $60 but the caulking tip works great.
3 - The new air spring assembly comes with a new fitting where the air line plugs in. It also comes with the new O-rings and plate already installed. So this is plug and play
4 - When re-installing the new air spring, have someone help you hold it up to install the airline in the fitting. The space is very tight and the air line is very short.
5 - It took approximately 1.5 hours to do one side.

Rides great again. I am glad I stuck with the air ride instead of swapping for the coil kit. Good luck everyone and hopefully this saves someone money.
Old 06-05-17, 11:28 AM
EJMEYERCO
Driver School Candidate

I jacked up the frame using jack stands. The rear end will drop and the air bag comes right out as soon as you remove the top clip.
Old 08-20-17, 08:55 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi all
thank you ,you always been very helpful
I have 04 rx330 with air suspension,,it functions fine until shutting down the engine,,the front passanger wheel will go very low,,from reading here it looks that the bag is leaking,,is that correct?
For replacement is that the only bolt going to the hub?
Are the bags the same for all corners?
thank you
Old 09-19-17, 07:51 PM
MoJoCHLoe
Driver School Candidate

Have a 04 GX470. Took to mechanic. Said the Airbag pump was bad. Once installed the SUV still doesn't inflate bags. They said that they do not have a scanner to be able and read code to reset. Had someone who had a Toyota/Lexus scanner to get code. That person wasn't able to get code and reset system. Anyone have an idea of how to reset system?

If not able to reset, is there a conversion kit that makes the SUV ride the same as if it had factory airbag system. Want to get fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks
Old 09-20-17, 08:17 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know that there is a reset. Other then disconnect battery for 1/2 hour. I think your in over your head . The lexus dealer would be my choice for diagnosis . You may pay more but they would not just replace parts based on a hunch. The scanner is proprietary but you can find one on ebay techstream

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions