Leaking Rear Air Suspension - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Leaking Rear Air Suspension

Old 09-02-16, 02:02 PM   #31
gbrowndsl
Driver School Candidate

With the engine on and hitting the height level buttons you get no compressor noise from the rear of the vehicle? If so, sounds like a good place to start.
gbrowndsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 09:22 AM   #32
JBedell
Driver School Candidate

Correct...I get no response, noise or anything. Compressor is gone?
JBedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 12:13 PM   #33
chiph9
Lexus Test Driver

I know you said you checked fuses, etc. But did you put a voltmeter on the air compressor leads and have someone change the height from Lo to High? (have a pair of jackstands under there for safety)

Chip H.
chiph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-16, 08:34 AM   #34
gbrowndsl
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like compressor is done if fuses etc. are all fine.
gbrowndsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 03:07 PM   #35
EJMEYERCO
Driver School Candidate

The exact same problem on my 2003 GX470 with 150,000 miles. Last week after parking the car in the garage I heard an air leak coming from the rear right. In approximately 2-3 minutes the entire back end was lowered. I took it back out for a drive and the compressor would fill the lines again but the same thing would happen after it was parked, the air would leak out. However, there were a few times that I would park it and it wouldn't air out. I took a look under the car and was obvious it was coming from the air spring assembly. After going back and forth with replacing the air spring assemble with coils, I decided to take a chance and buy the 2 new air spring assemblies off Amazon. Link
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY8EMWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY8EMWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for $200. I bought both but only installed the failing side. I will hold on to the other one until it goes out. Lexus wanted $1,600 for one side.
Simple Install
Remember
1 - Take the top clip out with long needle nose pliers. After you take the tire off, you can see the clip between the frame and fender wall. Pulls right out
2 - To remove the existing air line from the old air spring assembly, I used the tip of a caulking tube slit by the middle to go over the air line. Simply put it on the line and push in to the fitting and it will release the air line. You can also buy the Special Service Tool for around $60 but the caulking tip works great.
3 - The new air spring assembly comes with a new fitting where the air line plugs in. It also comes with the new O-rings and plate already installed. So this is plug and play
4 - When re-installing the new air spring, have someone help you hold it up to install the airline in the fitting. The space is very tight and the air line is very short.
5 - It took approximately 1.5 hours to do one side.

Rides great again. I am glad I stuck with the air ride instead of swapping for the coil kit. Good luck everyone and hopefully this saves someone money.
EJMEYERCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 05:50 PM   #36
SC3coupe
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info on how to change out the bags. Did you have to jack the rear axle (rear end) up and down to install the bag. Or was the whole rear end on jackstand and compressed during the whole removal and installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJMEYERCO View Post
The exact same problem on my 2003 GX470 with 150,000 miles. Last week after parking the car in the garage I heard an air leak coming from the rear right. In approximately 2-3 minutes the entire back end was lowered. I took it back out for a drive and the compressor would fill the lines again but the same thing would happen after it was parked, the air would leak out. However, there were a few times that I would park it and it wouldn't air out. I took a look under the car and was obvious it was coming from the air spring assembly. After going back and forth with replacing the air spring assemble with coils, I decided to take a chance and buy the 2 new air spring assemblies off Amazon. Link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $200. I bought both but only installed the failing side. I will hold on to the other one until it goes out. Lexus wanted $1,600 for one side.
Simple Install
Remember
1 - Take the top clip out with long needle nose pliers. After you take the tire off, you can see the clip between the frame and fender wall. Pulls right out
2 - To remove the existing air line from the old air spring assembly, I used the tip of a caulking tube slit by the middle to go over the air line. Simply put it on the line and push in to the fitting and it will release the air line. You can also buy the Special Service Tool for around $60 but the caulking tip works great.
3 - The new air spring assembly comes with a new fitting where the air line plugs in. It also comes with the new O-rings and plate already installed. So this is plug and play
4 - When re-installing the new air spring, have someone help you hold it up to install the airline in the fitting. The space is very tight and the air line is very short.
5 - It took approximately 1.5 hours to do one side.

Rides great again. I am glad I stuck with the air ride instead of swapping for the coil kit. Good luck everyone and hopefully this saves someone money.
SC3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 11:28 AM   #37
EJMEYERCO
Driver School Candidate

I jacked up the frame using jack stands. The rear end will drop and the air bag comes right out as soon as you remove the top clip.
EJMEYERCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 08:55 AM   #38
shikbas
Lead Lap

Hi all
thank you ,you always been very helpful
I have 04 rx330 with air suspension,,it functions fine until shutting down the engine,,the front passanger wheel will go very low,,from reading here it looks that the bag is leaking,,is that correct?
For replacement is that the only bolt going to the hub?
Are the bags the same for all corners?
thank you
shikbas is offline   Reply With Quote