GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Bilstein Shock by Arnott and Moog Ball joint repair, PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 06:13 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm looking around too. I either have a too firm ride in the back or if I switch to comfort it bottoms out.
Old 07-23-13, 06:26 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I'm looking around too. I either have a too firm ride in the back or if I switch to comfort it bottoms out.
That's a pretty good indication you're riding too low. May want to see about adjusting the sensors a bit. I'm pretty sure mine measure 7" from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender flair. Much lower and it bottoms out. Too much higher and it's bouncy. You may have an easier fix than you think.
Old 07-24-13, 08:45 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlairC
has anyone found a replacement panel to remove the switch in the center consol. I recall someone on expedition portal removing both the air springs and shocks and installing a blank panel where the switch once was. also, are you guys just taping up the pigtails when you remove the shocks?

my air suspension works great but the shocks do seem to be on their final days. I like the repair path OP decided on.
Toyota Land Cruiser 100 series (98-2000) did not come with Air suspension, and there panel cover looks like it would fit our air suspension control area. I haven't tried it, but looking at my 99 TLC's cover I think its the same..
Old 08-22-13, 03:33 PM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
The Bilstein USA site shows this as the part number for the t4r limited v8
24-186049 (rear) (~$70/ea)
24-188401 (front) (~$90/ea)

Prices from shockswarehouse dot com

Arnott *may* have had them revalved. or they may not have. Hard to really know. I'd bet the standard bilstein parts would be a good budget replacement.
Has anyone determined whether the shocks above are the same as the Arnott Bilstein's?
Old 08-22-13, 07:28 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

JAFCH1,

Is there some sort of plug\harness that goes into the OEM strut that now just dangles there? If so, what did you do with yours?
Old 08-22-13, 07:50 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by kphu
JAFCH1,

Is there some sort of plug\harness that goes into the OEM strut that now just dangles there? If so, what did you do with yours?
The harness dangles from the shock, so nothing to tidy up on the car.
Old 08-22-13, 07:53 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
The harness dangles from the shock, so nothing to tidy up on the car.
I see said the blind man.
Old 08-23-13, 06:56 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Great info. I would give the 4runner bilstein a shot, $70 apiece is a great price. It has been stated that the GX is only 340 lbs. heavier, I'll just have to leave my in-laws at home. Also, I'm days away from buying some sort of spring conversion for my leaky air bags. I see Arnott has them, but similar to the strut issue, why couldn't I buy rear springs for a V8 4runner for $100 a pair? I understand I may need to fab up a bracket to keep the spring seated to the axle. So conceivably the entire set up that was intended for the 4runner would be Appx. $380, that being (2) rear springs, front and rear struts. Am I missing something?
Old 08-24-13, 06:18 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Great info. I would give the 4runner bilstein a shot, $70 apiece is a great price. It has been stated that the GX is only 340 lbs. heavier, I'll just have to leave my in-laws at home. Also, I'm days away from buying some sort of spring conversion for my leaky air bags. I see Arnott has them, but similar to the strut issue, why couldn't I buy rear springs for a V8 4runner for $100 a pair? I understand I may need to fab up a bracket to keep the spring seated to the axle. So conceivably the entire set up that was intended for the 4runner would be Appx. $380, that being (2) rear springs, front and rear struts. Am I missing something?
Not missing a thing. Folks on here have converted to FJ springs and Bilstein 5100, but you'll be the pioneer on the 4Runner setup. On the T4.org forum, they seemed to feel the 4Runner springs were not suited for the GX, but I never read anything about the shocks. I wish there was someway to compare them. The Arnott setup does control body roll better than stock. Since the extra weight on the GX is mostly a spring rate issue, where you may notice a difference would be in dampening. That is, if Arnott did intact revolve them. Can't imagine why they wouldn't though. It's not like they are some fly by night company or snake oil salesmen. If you do the conversion, please be sure to report back, so we'll all know the outcome.
Old 08-25-13, 04:31 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

My airbags are still doing fine and I adjust the height to High every time I tow.

If I knew the $70 4Runner shocks would work front/rear I'd be a happy camper.
Old 08-26-13, 04:58 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jafch1
If you are replacing all 4 shocks, and 2 rear airbags, you WILL need an alignment. The rule of thumb is anytime one changes any suspension components, the camber/toe could be off. Even if your steering wheel is straight, the last thing you want is one tire chewing up more tread than the other.

As for ride height sensors and pumps, if you want go for it. Otherwise pulling the fuse does just the trick. Personally, I am a bit OCD and would more than likely remove all of it from my vehicle since it will be inert.
I think I'll be doing the same but leaving compressor and height sensors in place in case I wanted to transition back to air bags. I've Ben researching the rear coil spring conversion and have read in places that any 4runner or FJ Cruiser springs would work as well. My question is would I need anything else for the conversion? I know most people had to fab a bottom spring holder bracket to keep the coil from shifting- Does this sound right? There were FJ Cruiser springs on Ebay for a good price. Also do I need the rubber bump stop that drops in the top of the factory springs?
Old 08-26-13, 08:07 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kphu
JAFCH1,

I took my the wire harness off the OEM strut I removed, and re used it.

Basically I cut the harness off the OEM components that were thrown away, taped each wire (that way I wouldn't worry about shorting anything), and then plug it back into the harness from the car.

This way, if I or the next owner decided to go back to OEM they simply can do so without slaving for hours. Additionally I didn't want water or dirt to get into the harness when nothing was plugged in.
Old 08-30-13, 12:13 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jafch1
I took my the wire harness off the OEM strut I removed, and re used it.

Basically I cut the harness off the OEM components that were thrown away, taped each wire (that way I wouldn't worry about shorting anything), and then plug it back into the harness from the car.

This way, if I or the next owner decided to go back to OEM they simply can do so without slaving for hours. Additionally I didn't want water or dirt to get into the harness when nothing was plugged in.
It's a great idea, except there are a few pugs under the car exposed already, so probably not a huge deal to replug.
Old 02-03-14, 10:37 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I received this email back from Arnott today. So it seems the $400+ up-charge for their "GX Bilsteins" vs standard 4Runner 4600s is the black paint.

"I just confirmed with our R & D manager. He stated that the shocks are the 4600 series. The information available for the 5100 series shows that the shocks are designed for specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock O.E.M. mounting configuration.

Generally speaking Bilstein shocks typically have a firmer ride, and will provide better handling compared to other shocks on the market, the feedback has been great from our customers.

Since the shocks we provide will mount up with your existing air suspension set up, the parts will work fine in .

Thanks,"

I'd be cautious off-roading when lifting the rear using Arnott / 4600s. 4600s do not have extended shafts like 5100s / OEM do so you'll likely damage the shock at full droop.
Old 03-13-14, 05:36 PM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

Wondering how the ball joint replacement went. Doing shocks, struts, upper and lower ball joints, and CV shafts next weekend. Any tips and tricks you recommend.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Shock by Arnott and Moog Ball joint repair, PICS!