GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

LED Flasher GX470

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 10:27 AM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi drowssap,
What year is your GX470. I know this isn't made for LED bulbs to stop hyper flash, but it is 8 pins. I won't know for sure until I get mine removed. Take a look at, http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...?checkfit=true.
Regards
Old 01-29-17, 10:31 AM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxbombero
Hi drowssap,
What year is your GX470. I know this isn't made for LED bulbs to stop hyper flash, but it is 8 pins. I won't know for sure until I get mine removed. Take a look at, http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...?checkfit=true.
Regards
Hey Bombero...my GX is an 08 but others with rigs ranging from 03-09 have all tried this with the same results. That relay will prevent hyper flashing .....in the correct vehicle! That is identical to all the others that are sold. It is an 8 pin relay and most if not all of ours are 12 pins.
Old 01-29-17, 04:52 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone tried these LED's from Pilot, they sell them at walmart and have a built in canbus to prevent hyper-flashing they say. Cost is 16 bucks a pair and come in different colors as well

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/led/L...ementBulb.html
Old 01-29-17, 06:11 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
The relay finally made it! Took a long time to get, it goes from DHL to Usps mail!?!?!??! I dont know what thats all about. So I will be starting on it . I hope it goes smooth!
Hey DiabloX22,
What year and model lexus do you have? I have the 2004 GX470. I found the relay. It's mounted to the back of the interior fuse block. There's a small removable cover on the lower left side of the dash which gives access to the front, but doesn't help at all getting to the flasher.. My hands are on the large side and it's impossible to remove it by just reaching up from underneath. You can't see it at all, and I certainly wasn't going to just yank it down. I took down the lower dash piece and the middle piece that runs from the drivers door over to the area where the ignition key is. Still wasn't able to see it, so I don't know how to free it blindly. I was at the point of removing the fuse block in order to maybe turn it around and get to the back of it when I thought it was kind of crazy. Maybe there's a trick that I'm not aware of. If anyone has experience removing this flasher, let us know. Any way I wanted to finish installing the front 1156 LED turn signal bulbs and the rear 7440 LED turn signal bulbs so I added load resistors to each bulb and put everything back together. FYI, Be careful mounting the resistors, I left the flashers on for awhile just to check everything, and they got screaming hot.
I haven't given up on the idea of changing the relay, if anyone could advise on a way to remove the relay, please post.
All the Best
Old 01-29-17, 09:05 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I used a flashlight and handheld mirror to see what I was doing. Next....(I am laughing right now because this is such a terrible job)....if you had trouble thus far....you are not ever removing that relay! Even removing that fuse block is a huge undertaking! Mind you that I am the farthest thing from a person that tries to discourage people from attempting things but this one...uh uh...no way! Not happening! What I can do though is give you a tip.....Leave the flasher on the fuse block and just disconnect the plug from it. While I could just stop there (because you will then see the 12 pin plug) ....you can take your new relay and attempt to just plug it in and then find a way to secure it. I should also tell you that I not only had my whole dash torn down when attempting this....I had set my seat all the way back as well as reclined almost flat. I laid down on my back and contorted my body so that I could stick my head and hands under the dash to work. It was a nightmare. As I said I don't dissuade people from trying. If you haven't figured out by my description of work that I performed while attempting this....I do not like being told that I can't do something! But alas....unless booyahs pilot LED's are anything decent....you are stuck using your resistors which could burn your rig down or just go back to the lousy halogens!

EDIT: Was not easy to find many but reviews for the pilot bulbs are not favorable

Last edited by drowssap; 01-29-17 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 01:22 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been super busy I am just getting caught up on this thread. I installed the rear lights, including the turn signal, I chose a half yellow and white led bulb. Yup hyper flash! Damn you! After reading this thread, and how hard it is to change the relay. I am still working on it. The tail and brake leds look great! I am thinking of looking into turn signal bulbs with the resistor built in. I was liking the white and yellow bulbs. Im not giving up yet, but either the turn signal bulbs will stay halogen or I am looking into other options still, maybe just a HD bulb or something.

Bxbomb I have a 03 470
Old 02-08-17, 06:59 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I have been super busy I am just getting caught up on this thread. I installed the rear lights, including the turn signal, I chose a half yellow and white led bulb. Yup hyper flash! Damn you! After reading this thread, and how hard it is to change the relay. I am still working on it. The tail and brake leds look great! I am thinking of looking into turn signal bulbs with the resistor built in. I was liking the white and yellow bulbs. Im not giving up yet, but either the turn signal bulbs will stay halogen or I am looking into other options still, maybe just a HD bulb or something.

Bxbomb I have a 03 470
I haven't given up on changing out the relay, just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. Like I said, I'm not going to buy one until I get the factory relay out so as to compare it to what's shown on the internet. For example https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1454&year=2004.
I temporarily installed resistors on the 4 turn signal bulbs, but now I'm thinking of installing new side view mirrors with turn signal, parking lights, and puddle lights built in. I don't want to install resistors on the mirror turn signals. I'm determined to get that relay changed out. Unfortunately, it may turn out to be a fools errand, because all I'm reading is that the LED relays advertised all over don't work/fit, our GX470's. What relay did you buy and where did you get the white/amber LED?
Old 02-09-17, 10:25 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxbombero
I haven't given up on changing out the relay, just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. Like I said, I'm not going to buy one until I get the factory relay out so as to compare it to what's shown on the internet. For example https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1454&year=2004.
I temporarily installed resistors on the 4 turn signal bulbs, but now I'm thinking of installing new side view mirrors with turn signal, parking lights, and puddle lights built in. I don't want to install resistors on the mirror turn signals. I'm determined to get that relay changed out. Unfortunately, it may turn out to be a fools errand, because all I'm reading is that the LED relays advertised all over don't work/fit, our GX470's. What relay did you buy and where did you get the white/amber LED?

Thanks for the info about where the relay is located. The white/amber bulbs I bought were found on ebay. I dont have a opinion about them yet, but when I got the hyper flash I was kind of excited to see what they were going to look like installed, I should or maybe I will put 1 back in and see the outcome. 1 of the reasons I bought them, the way they were listed, it made out to sound the resistor was built in. I bought 2 sets, idk why, lol. If you want the info, let me know. I am going to do the swap of the actual tail light housing, I have the amber and red capsules, I think the white turn signals and red combo look better imo. They came on later years of our trucks. I also found replacements for the red lower reflectors on my rear bumper. I ordered those, they are a clear housing with led's inside. I have seen red,black, then when I found clear I grabbed them. I think when I do the new tail lights it will look more uniform, and with the color of my GX, dark ones would not look good. I doubt I will run power to them. But we will see!
Old 11-06-17, 09:28 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

any updates ?
Old 11-06-17, 09:57 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a plug-n-play solution now >>> https://www.organizedgaragestatus.com/product-page/diode-dynamics-smarttap-cf18-lm449-flasher-relay

This is confirmed to work btw.

Old 11-06-17, 01:17 PM
Tdoll
Driver

Awesome! I just ordered something similar to this, if what I ordered does not work, I'll give this a go and post back here.
Thank you!
Old 11-08-17, 06:15 PM
Tdoll
Driver

I just ordered this, Hope to get it soon! The one I purchased came today. Advertised to fit GX470. That's a negative.
Old 11-08-17, 08:01 PM
Tdoll
Driver

I would like to inquire as to who confirmed this. The specs on your website say the relay you linked me to is a CF18 (LM449). I have one of those in on my desk that I just tried to install ( tap to turn led flasher relay ) and I can tell you this does not fit. This is a 8 pin, Lexus GX470 is a 12pin. The oem connector simply will not fit inside the relay. Relay is too small and not enough pins.
Old 11-09-17, 06:59 AM
Tdoll
Driver

UPDATE>>>> As anyone in the know knows... there is NO Plug and Play Relay available ( that I can find ) to fix the hyper flash, so either grind the shunt or wire in resistors. Those are the only to ways around it that I can find.
Old 01-05-23, 02:45 PM
Pyramids
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default middle yellow wire

Originally Posted by mann777
Here are the detail images, they are self explanatory. All you need is good Soldering gun.
Part - Bourns Trim Pot ( 500 ampere) - Cost $2 ( P/N - 3299 )
A Cutter to cut out the plastic cover on the flasher. And a small file to trim the edges.
And Three Wire lengths - 2 inch
What is the middle yellow wire attached to, i can't figure out from the picture

Quick Reply: LED Flasher GX470