GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Headlight assembly replacement

Old 02-25-15, 05:40 PM
itzjake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight assembly replacement

So the dealership told me that my GX470 has a "melted housing" inside my driver's side headlight assembly. They quoted me at $850+ for replacement. I was able to find tons of replacements online. However, I noticed a huge difference in price between the sport package headlight assemblies (more like a smoke color) and the original base trim headlight assembly. I have an 04 so anything 03-09 should fit. My questions is: is there a difference between these two parts other than the color of the lens? Could I purchase the sport package headlight assembly and still be able to fit it into my base model GX470? Each headlight is $100 less if I were to purchase the sport pkg which is why I am asking. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-15, 08:06 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

The Smoked ones are nothing but a color difference, and are alot rarer than the regular ones, hense the pricing difference.
Old 02-25-15, 08:20 PM
itzjake
Driver School Candidate

Yoshi, thanks. I think I will just get 2 new of the sport ones since they are cheaper. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-15, 06:33 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Make sure you get OEM assemblies, aftermarket won't be near the same quality and you'll see it in the light output.
Old 02-26-15, 07:54 AM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by IanB2
Make sure you get OEM assemblies, aftermarket won't be near the same quality and you'll see it in the light output.
Just curious, if you're using the same bulb/HID kit, and same projector, how could the housing make a difference in light output?
Old 02-26-15, 08:42 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone replaced their headlight assembly with these Amazon ones?

Sport:
Amazon.com: Lexus GX470 03-09 HeadligHeated Unit with Sport Package RH USA Passenger Side: Automotive Amazon.com: Lexus GX470 03-09 HeadligHeated Unit with Sport Package RH USA Passenger Side: Automotive

Non-sport:
Amazon Amazon

Mine look absolutely terrible and looking to replace both units.
Old 02-26-15, 09:15 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear the Depo aftermarket replacements are good to go
Old 02-26-15, 09:45 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GXallday
Just curious, if you're using the same bulb/HID kit, and same projector, how could the housing make a difference in light output?
Differences in the reflector, and lense could definitely vary the output, it's also possible bulb placement within the housing could vary slightly. I had an accident repair on our '05 Legacy a few years back, they replaced one of the headlights with a quality aftermarket, and the cutoff on the OEM was crisp and white, while the aftermarket was a wide, rainbow colored cutoff line for the lowbeams (projector lense, non-HID).

I'm not saying that someone walking through a parking lot is going to spot the difference while you're parked, or even someone you pass while driving with the lights on, but there is a difference in quality, and if you're like me you'd notice, and it would bug you.

I took the car back and showed them, and they replaced with OEM.
Old 02-26-15, 11:15 AM
itzjake
Driver School Candidate

OEM would be nice. However, you know the other potential consequences that come with that.
Old 02-26-15, 07:07 PM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by IanB2
Differences in the reflector, and lense could definitely vary the output, it's also possible bulb placement within the housing could vary slightly. I had an accident repair on our '05 Legacy a few years back, they replaced one of the headlights with a quality aftermarket, and the cutoff on the OEM was crisp and white, while the aftermarket was a wide, rainbow colored cutoff line for the lowbeams (projector lense, non-HID).

I'm not saying that someone walking through a parking lot is going to spot the difference while you're parked, or even someone you pass while driving with the lights on, but there is a difference in quality, and if you're like me you'd notice, and it would bug you.

I took the car back and showed them, and they replaced with OEM.
As I said before, use the original projector. Then there's no difference
Old 02-27-15, 06:43 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GXallday
As I said before, use the original projector. Then there's no difference
Not everyone is equipped to swap projectors from one housing to another, but I suppose that would negate any differences.
Old 02-27-15, 08:36 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How did the headlight housing melt in the first place?
Old 02-27-15, 07:36 PM
itzjake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Booyah
How did the headlight housing melt in the first place?
What I was told by the dealership was that the OEM pigtails for the lights have a tendency to spike the voltage. Not sure if this was the culprit but they wouldn't even swap out my turn signal light because they couldn't cover their *** if something worse were to happen.
Old 03-03-15, 12:37 PM
DJHGX470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coloboardi
Has anyone replaced their headlight assembly with these Amazon ones?

Sport: Amazon.com: Lexus GX470 03-09 HeadligHeated Unit with Sport Package RH USA Passenger Side: Automotive

Non-sport: http://www.amazon.com/Lexus-HeadLigh...3NR4VJBFJCS3FB

Mine look absolutely terrible and looking to replace both units.
Yep. I am running a pair. No issues so far and look way better, but I would not expect OEM quality or output.
GX1 by DboyDub1, on Flickr
Old 03-04-15, 02:00 PM
coloboardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJHGX470
Yep. I am running a pair. No issues so far and look way better, but I would not expect OEM quality or output.
GX1 by DboyDub1, on Flickr
Very nice! Are those the sport or non-sport ones? I'm leaning toward the sport headlights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight assembly replacement