GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking at GX470's and Sequoia's.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 03:07 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at GX470's and Sequoia's.

Now Im venturing off to a new area of Lexus/Toyota ownership, and looking for current owners to chime in and provide any heads up of any common issues specific to the model..Im looking at 02-04 models of both, anything specific to check would be great...other than normal wear items of course
Old 01-30-13, 04:01 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can afford a 2005, it may be worth it, since it comes with the updated engine and more horsepower.

Aside from that, look for good maintenance records. If these trucks are properly maintained, they will last a very very long time. On the GX, look for potential issues with the auto height adjustment system, since it can be very expensive to fix. Electronically controlled Shocks and rear air springs will all fail sooner or later, so prepare for that expense. If previous owner has records of replacing (some of) these items, that's a plus.

If the truck has more than 90k miles, make sure you have solid record that the Timing Belt service was completed. If not - it will cost you $$$ and you must do it.

Check for torn CV boots, since this is common as trucks age.
Check for radiator leaks and transfer case leaks. (go under the SUV with a flashlight)
Look for cracks on the dashboard - this is a problem that seems to also be very common on the GX Cosmetic, but it can be very disappointing to deal with.

I do not own a Sequoia but i test drove a couple of them before we got the GX470. Both are great trucks. It will come down to how much interior space you need and if you want luxury items in your SUV. The Sequoia is larger and better suited for a bigger family, but it offers a lot less luxury than the GX and also the ride is not as refined. It feels cheaper because IT IS a cheaper SUV.
The GX, IMO handles better, looks and feels "sportier" and has a better, more luxurious interior. It is also smaller and if you need a decent 3rd row seat + cargo room behind it - then the GX is not the SUV for you. The GX may be more $$$ to maintain due to some of the additional toys it has (suspension, electronics, etc), but this will greatly depend on how well it was maintained.
Old 01-30-13, 04:07 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-13, 05:12 AM
brycejaq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think danmm7 pretty much covered all the possible issues you would see in a GX. I also test drove/sat in quite a few Sequoias before we got our GX. Agree that the overall fit and finish in the GX is better, but if you need more space and possibly a 3rd row that is actually comfortable for 2 adults to sit in, then the Sequoia might be a better choice.
Old 02-01-13, 08:45 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are getting really solid advice so far.

one thing I would note. if you are at all interested in modifying your ride the sequoia will be a better choice.

without doing some leg work, there are virtually no parts that are designed to be a direct bolt on for the gx. yes prado and 4runner parts work, but it will take some research, cross referencing and learning from others trial and error.

with the sequoia you are getting a truck that the aftermarket community appears to be start to support.

for me I didn't want the sequoia because it is just my wife and I right now and the sequoia seemed so large, also I think the gx gets slightly better gas mileage.