GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Radiator leak, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 04:52 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Radiator leak, what should I do?

Last thursday night my wife said she had no heat in her car (03 gx470). I didn't know what to do so on Friday I did some research at work. On Friday my wife drove the car to work and back. Before she left work I asked her to look at the temp gauge and she never noticed it going over normal temp. On Saturday morning, I checked the radiator and it was practically empty so I drove it 3 miles to a shop to have them diagnose the leak problem. while in front of the shop I noticed antifreeze leaking from the radiator so I drove the truck home without them doing anything. Temp gauge never surpassed the middle.

I drove the truck home with the intention of replacing the radiator but I can't get the part until tomorrow (Monday) so to save time, I drained the radiator and pulled it out. I got less than 1/2 gallon from draining it. The coloring was red and green, which made me think tranny fluid and coolant but it wasn't milky and as I thought about it I recall when i did the 90k service with the help of my bro (former toyo mech) the blocks where never drained so I'm guessing that I absent mindedly mixed green prestone with toyo coolant. Probably the reason my radiator is leaking?

After taking the radiator out, I didn't drain the coolant from the block valves, but I think it would be good to do that just to get an idea of whether or not its empty.

This morning i was thinking i should do a full flush after i replace the radiator, but since it would be impossible to open the valve on one side perhaps a flush isn't the right thing to do.

Not sure if I should do a tranny dump and fill.

Any advice?
Old 01-07-13, 07:53 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the radiator this evening, drained what I could and filled with toyo long life coolant. Checked the trany fluid level, it was normal and looked very clean so I didn't bother draining and filling. Let the car ran for 15 mins with the heat fully blasted on high. The heat was nice and toasty. Looks like I lucked out, although it was pretty cold out during the fix 36°F.
Old 01-08-13, 08:57 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kphu
I replaced the radiator this evening, drained what I could and filled with toyo long life coolant. Checked the trany fluid level, it was normal and looked very clean so I didn't bother draining and filling. Let the car ran for 15 mins with the heat fully blasted on high. The heat was nice and toasty. Looks like I lucked out, although it was pretty cold out during the fix 36°F.
Did you go with OEM or an aftermarket unit? I decied to go with a Koyorad OEM replacement and it fit like a glove and appears to be of good quality - shoot anything has to be better than the damn oem unit which sprung a leak after 72k miles.
Old 01-09-13, 03:26 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me guess, the leak was on the bottom left corner of the radiator? Driver side that is.
Old 01-11-13, 07:48 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Let me guess, the leak was on the bottom left corner of the radiator? Driver side that is.
Good guess - in my case.