GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

gx470 with nav options for new system

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 01:01 PM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gx470 with nav options for new system

Hey guys I got a new pioneer single din for my car and have the bypass and everything for it to work, only one small problem is without the the stock single din head unit the nav screen and other things dont work, is there any way around this to get everything stock working but with a new single din unit?

I was thinking run wires from the stock head unit to the nav in the trunk or something just so I can get the nav to still work and then just slap in the new pioneer single...

What are my options? What have other people done in this situation? My stock head unit is broken but I guess when they were installing it (free installation, why not) they said that the nav screen and something else would not work becuase there are two plugs on the back of the stock head unit...
Old 12-26-12, 01:37 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much that I know of. I have not seen any solutions here yet. I would have held off on buying it till I did this post first. Was it a holiday gift?

Better off spending a little money and getting an iPod bypass that does not mess with all the important stuff that the Navi controls.
Old 12-26-12, 01:55 PM
Volume123
Driver

Well it's actually my dad's car and I purchased it for him for christmas since his has been broken for a while... do you know if it is possible to just replace the nav screen with a double din pioneer screen? Like a avh p4300 or something?
Old 12-26-12, 03:01 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

They do sell stuff for it like a frame but the Navi software is how you control allot of the cars features including heat, the way the fans work, your BT device and phone etc. etc.

It's a very adequate system even if the graphics are not the best.
Old 12-26-12, 05:03 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be cheaper just to get a replacement Lexus radio rather than an aftermarket unit. Trust me on that.
Old 12-27-12, 08:41 PM
Volume123
Driver

so getting a double din head unit like the avic with nav to replace the stock nav screen only and keeping all of the buttons and everything in place, is not an option?
Old 12-27-12, 09:54 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Volume123
so getting a double din head unit like the avic with nav to replace the stock nav screen only and keeping all of the buttons and everything in place, is not an option?
I can say about 100% that it is not an option. Just look for yourself in the Navi software. It controls most of your interior. Everything is hooked up to it. in fact even below where the radio is you can't remove that either. It's pretty set in stone.

I have seen one DD frame for a screen on ebay and there are no buttons. However I believe it's for a GX without a Navi.
Old 12-28-12, 12:54 PM
Volume123
Driver

true, I tried to add a single din where the radio controls currently are , and it would not work only because it messed with the air conditioner and mainly the screen on the navi wouldnt work, but once plugged right back into the stock radio (faceplate unit, the stock single din) the navi screen started working again which would not matter if I got a Pioneer Avic, with nav to replace that screen, and the air conditioning controls should work still as well since that would not be replaced and would still be plugged into the stock single din radio so the controls would still be totally working I would assume.

I guess my only option is to try it ...
Old 12-28-12, 03:54 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

No the AC is also integrated. Push the climate button and see.
Old 12-30-12, 10:27 AM
Volume123
Driver

well i know the climate is connected but like I am saying, I only will be replacing the nav screen, not any of the internals, I would think it should work if I leave the stock radio faceplate inside since those are the two connections it needs to run the ac and nav screen only. I dunno for sure, but I think it should work..... I understand why the nav screen wouldnt work without the stock head unit and since the connection for the ac is on the back of the stock radio faceplate as well, not the nav screen itself, it should be fine just to take out the stock nav screen and switch it with an avic i would assume....
Old 12-30-12, 11:53 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

It's your choice. I hope your successful at it without any big issues.
Old 01-01-13, 01:25 PM
Volume123
Driver

thanks man, i guess its obviously not an exact answer of it is possible or not to replace the stock nav screen with something like an avic. but we shall see I guess, maybe i'll be one of the first DIY's with this project with the levinson and nav.
Old 01-05-13, 03:48 PM
monasterio
Driver School Candidate

I am trying to do this project, but I have ran into an issue with swapping out the climate control. the non-nav models are easier because the climate controls are not integrated into the nav hu. therefore, you just have to buy the bezel and swap the radio for an aftermarket one. as for those who have a stock nav, you must purchase the non-nav climate control unit and figure out how to splice your current climate harness to match the non-nav one as it is not a direct fit. I am currently investigating this. What is hindering this project is the purchase of the correct plugs/wiring harness to fit the non-nav. if anyone can show us pics, we can get this party started.
Old 03-10-13, 07:02 AM
imint213
Driver School Candidate

I am trying to do this to my GX470 Nav also, have you had any luck? I see you are in Virginia, I am as well, Northern VA. Please let me know your progress with this project? I have been looking for a climate control unit with no luck.
Thanks
Old 11-25-15, 10:46 AM
fstbll42
Driver School Candidate

I would also like to know if you came up with a solution to the nav/climate control to non nav/climate control problem.

Quick Reply: gx470 with nav options for new system