GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Silverstar ultra headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 05:28 PM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstar ultra headlight bulbs

I thought my low beam bulbs were getting dim so I replaced them with silverstar ultras. It was fairly easy to do. Had to remove the front engine cover but not the battery. Have to be careful not to touch new bulb. The new bulbs are whiter and brighter. Consumer Reports says they don't illuminate farther but they show the road signs and markings better so you think you can see farther. Advance Auto has them on sale with a rebate so cost was $30. So far very pleased
Old 12-06-12, 06:32 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I don't care what consumer reports says, these bulbs are far superior to stock bulbs, on problem, they do not last as long.
Old 12-06-12, 07:39 PM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

I agree. I was thinking about buying a second pair on sale to have for replacement
Old 12-06-12, 08:33 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I don't care what consumer reports says, these bulbs are far superior to stock bulbs, on problem, they do not last as long.
Can you give me some ideas, i intend to buy an aftermarket xenon kit 6000k H11 to swap my stock bulbs and when you said the silverstar ultra is far superior to stock bulbs. What do you mean 'far superior' ? brighter or something? Do you think which ones last longer ? Xenon kit or Silverstar bulb ?
Thanks !
Old 12-06-12, 09:18 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

4 years ago, I've used Silverstar Ultras ( wasted 3 pairs) within a year, don't know if there reliability improves now, since then I have used Volt HID from steve and never look back.
Old 12-07-12, 03:28 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by shyguyF
Can you give me some ideas, i intend to buy an aftermarket xenon kit 6000k H11 to swap my stock bulbs and when you said the silverstar ultra is far superior to stock bulbs. What do you mean 'far superior' ? brighter or something? Do you think which ones last longer ? Xenon kit or Silverstar bulb ?
Thanks !
Whiter, brighter, wider, clearly able to see better over stock. Just replaced stock bulbs in wife's CRV after complaining of not being able to see at night. Did not tell her, she noticed and asked me if I did something to the headlights. Not sure about longevity compared to a conversion. But the silver star is not a LL, (long life) bulb compared to is OEM replacement.
Old 12-07-12, 06:31 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguyF
Thanks !

If you want bright dont waste your money on those blue coated silverstar bulbs. Get yourself a HID kit, theres NO comparison between the two!
Old 12-07-12, 09:02 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Thanks again ! ALAN553 and RCsGX.
Old 12-07-12, 09:51 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by RCsGX
If you want bright dont waste your money on those blue coated silverstar bulbs. Get yourself a HID kit, theres NO comparison between the two!
The silver star ultra is not blue coated, that is another sylvania bulb.
Old 12-07-12, 04:07 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hate to say it but silver stars are Junk!! I tried them and they last about 4-6 months and thats it! Do yourself a favor get a HID kit. Contact Steve at xenondepot.com he will hook you up and his kits are awesome and customer service 100%!! He backs his products. HID vs reg bulb, NO comparison at all.
Old 12-07-12, 05:00 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

The silver star ultra is not blue coated, that is another sylvania bulb.
Any halogen bulb that puts off white light has a blue coating on it, thats how you get the white output. Sylvanias own website shows the ultra bulb and it has a blue coating on it.

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produ...tar-ultra.aspx

Old 12-07-12, 05:31 PM
ALAN553
Racer

[QUOTE=Booyah;7639304]Hate to say it but silver stars are Junk!! I tried them and they last about 4-6 months and thats it! Do yourself a favor get a HID kit. Contact Steve at xenondepot.com he will hook you up and his kits are awesome and customer service 100%!! He backs his products. HID vs reg bulb, NO comparison

That maybe so, but mine lasted three years, I guess it depends how much you use your lights. And on the blue thing, I have seen the headlight bulbs the kids use on their Hondas etc., have a blue appearance, the ultras are bright white in appearance. If someone wants to do the HID conversion, great, the ultras are a simple bulb change. I do not own stock in sylvania, someone asked, I used them, that's my impression. The silver star zXe has that blueish appearance to them
Old 12-07-12, 07:17 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

That maybe so, but mine lasted three years, I guess it depends how much you use your lights. And on the blue thing, I have seen the headlight bulbs the kids use on their Hondas etc., have a blue appearance, the ultras are bright white in appearance. If someone wants to do the HID conversion, great, the ultras are a simple bulb change. I do not own stock in sylvania, someone asked, I used them, that's my impression. The silver star zXe has that blueish appearance to them
I think youre confusing blue coating with blue output. Just because a halogen bulb has a blue coating does not mean it will give off blue light. The only reason I posted that link was because you quoted me saying they are not blue coated when they are.

If youre happy with the ultras thats all that matters.
Old 12-11-12, 05:42 PM
brycejaq
Driver

I've used the Silverstar Ultras off and on for years, but they really don't compare in light output against HIDs. IMHO, you might as well get HIDs since you already have projectors on your GX...
Old 12-11-12, 06:44 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Booyah
Hate to say it but silver stars are Junk!! I tried them and they last about 4-6 months and thats it! Do yourself a favor get a HID kit. Contact Steve at xenondepot.com he will hook you up and his kits are awesome and customer service 100%!! He backs his products. HID vs reg bulb, NO comparison at all.
Thanks Booyah for helping! I will go with HID kit.

Quick Reply: Silverstar ultra headlight bulbs