ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009-218/)
-   -   Emergency Brake does not lock into place, any tips? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/665659-emergency-brake-does-not-lock-into-place-any-tips.html)

pedroj817 11-20-12 09:18 AM

Emergency Brake does not lock into place, any tips?

We just bought a 05 GX and I was messing with the dvd player to discover that the emergency brake does not lock into place. Any ideas as to where to begin to get this fixed? It is not under warranty and I will probably fix myself.

bauer26 11-20-12 09:10 PM

What exactly do you mean it doesn't lock into place? Is the e-brake not effective when engaged? or when you pull up on the e-brake handle do you not hear the ratchet and the handle doesn't stay in the up, engaged position?

pedroj817 11-20-12 10:36 PM

correct I am not getting the ratchet to engage and keep the lever up.

ALAN553 11-21-12 03:11 AM

Is the release button jammed/stuck?

pedroj817 11-21-12 06:00 AM

Not that I can tell the button goes in and out pretty easily.

pedroj817 11-21-12 06:56 AM

Looks like the button goes in and out slowly, any one else have this problem?

pedroj817 11-23-12 05:58 PM

FYI, today I was playing with the parking brake and realized that yes the button is slow moving out after it has been pressed. Instead of pushing in the button and lifting the brake, I just simply lifted the brake handle and it stayed in place. I feel dumb but I wanted to feel the ratchet gears as it locked into place. Problem solved.

bauer26 11-23-12 07:17 PM

Good to hear its all solved. Prior owner could have spilled some type of sugary drink on it and it dried and got sticky around the button. Good cleaning might solve the button moving slowly.

Ancient 11-24-12 01:29 AM

I know you have the problem solved, or partly solved. You can obviously unzip the cover for more access for cleaning/ lubing. You can also remove the cup holder, see the post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...up-holder.html

pedroj817 11-24-12 12:30 PM

Thanks for the tip

vgg659 03-21-19 05:41 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I had the same problem described in this thread - my parking brake handle would not lock because the button was not freely moving. I could grab it with a wrench and move it, but even then it was difficult.

Per many suggestions on the web, I checked to make sure that the spring was not gummed up with soda. BTW, the button can be removed by unscrewing it; a wrench may be necessary. The spring was clean, so it wasn't my problem.

I then removed the cup holder and unzipped the leather parking handle boot so I could get a better view of the lower handle. I had light surface rust on the handle, so I suspect I had rust on the inside of the handle where the push rod engages the ratcheting mechanism. So I positioned the handle in the upright (locked) position, stuffed paper towels at the based of the handle, and sprayed WD-40 RUST RELEASE PENETRANT SPRAY into the hole midway on the handle (see highlighted in the image). My intent was to apply the WD-40 to the lower interior surfaces of the handle near the ratcheting mechanism, so the WD-40 straw applicator was inserted into the hole about an inch, and I sprayed a two second burst, and repeated it about five minutes later. Then, I left it overnight.

The next morning, it worked flawlessly. I was a bit surprised I didn't have to repeat the procedure, and that it worked as well as it did
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...d59b233924.jpg

I hope this helps others dealing with a sticking parking handle.

RushNatU 03-22-19 09:36 AM

I always use the parking brake when parking to prevent the weight of the truck resting on the transmission parking gear. Never had a sticking issue. It must be a “use it or lose it” concept like most brakes

MrJason 03-24-19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by vgg659 (Post 10471876)
I know this is an old thread, but I had the same problem described in this thread - my parking brake handle would not lock because the button was not freely moving. I could grab it with a wrench and move it, but even then it was difficult.

Per many suggestions on the web, I checked to make sure that the spring was not gummed up with soda. BTW, the button can be removed by unscrewing it; a wrench may be necessary. The spring was clean, so it wasn't my problem.

I then removed the cup holder and unzipped the leather parking handle boot so I could get a better view of the lower handle. I had light surface rust on the handle, so I suspect I had rust on the inside of the handle where the push rod engages the ratcheting mechanism. So I positioned the handle in the upright (locked) position, stuffed paper towels at the based of the handle, and sprayed WD-40 RUST RELEASE PENETRANT SPRAY into the hole midway on the handle (see highlighted in the image). My intent was to apply the WD-40 to the lower interior surfaces of the handle near the ratcheting mechanism, so the WD-40 straw applicator was inserted into the hole about an inch, and I sprayed a two second burst, and repeated it about five minutes later. Then, I left it overnight.

The next morning, it worked flawlessly. I was a bit surprised I didn't have to repeat the procedure, and that it worked as well as it did
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...d59b233924.jpg

I hope this helps others dealing with a sticking parking handle.

I had the same issue. It seems some glue from where the leather portion of the hand brake had worked its way down and would hold the lever up and button in.

I removed the glue, sprayed WD-40 into the area and used a radiator tool to push the lever and my thumb to push the button. I did this about 15 times... now the hand brake works like a new one.

Thanks for the advice.... although I wouldn’t have even known it was not working until I started reading this forum. Lol

bsteiger60 04-04-19 02:38 PM

Worked perfectly

I sprayed WD-40 RUST RELEASE PENETRANT SPRAY into the hole on the parking brake sub-assembly (as described by MrJason) and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

MrJason 04-04-19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by bsteiger60 (Post 10483825)
I sprayed WD-40 RUST RELEASE PENETRANT SPRAY into the hole on the parking brake sub-assembly (as described by MrJason) and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

credit goes to “Vgg659”... I just added to their description. Glad it worked for you too!!!